Key Largo-Rainbow Reef dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For those who think the DM is not there to supervise dive activities and are conducted safely, i suggest you not go on a boat that the dive activities are being run by one..don't like the boat rules go elsewhere where crew is not afraid of possible lawsuits.. their boat,their rules..quite a few dive operators regularly ban divers who are known to be a danger to themselves and others. one recent case here in NY involved one diver who got thrown off a boat and banned to ever be on it for not following crew directions,No problem,he goes to another operator..He then won a Darwin Award and wound up dead from his unsafe practices on that 2nd boat..

If they have that much authority, why do I need DAN? They should be responsible for anything that goes wrong. Why teach diver that we are responsible for our on safety if the DM on the boat is responsible? And what was the outcome of the case, what rules did this guy not follow, it could have been as simple as talking during boat briefing to being rude to others on the boat.

orsor
If they have that much authority, why do I need DAN? They should be responsible for anything that goes wrong. Why teach diver that we are responsible for our on safety if the DM on the boat is responsible? And what was the outcome of the case, what rules did this guy not follow, it could have been as simple as talking during boat briefing to being rude to others on the boat.
only you are responsible for your safety..Dm is not responsible except to ensure safe practices are followed. the deceased failed to stay with their buddy and exceeded safe diving recommendations with respect to time and depth.
Case not yet resolved, the dive boat and operator have gone out of business.
No one wants to be involved in an accident. Even if the boat operator/dm is found not to be at fault due to inept diver having accident there will almost always be an expensive lawsuit to defend and loss of business and reputation. Most dive operators want to sleep at night.

---------- Post added May 4th, 2014 at 01:24 PM ----------

ithatect and indirect observation I
In terms of liability, putting a DM in the water increases your liability. Now, in the jury's eyes, you put a Professional Diver in the water, made them responsible for the other divers, and a jury may see this as a duty to care.
does not increase liability, actually decreases it.shows that standard duty of care was used and dm attempted to increase divers safety for those that he felt may need guidance.
Why, oh why, couldn't these good experienced dive pros on the second boat see how poorly skilled this diver was?[/QUOTE]
dive pros like every individual in life have different views on what may be safe or not. They erred by not doing what a reasonably prudent dive pro would do.

Why, with their magical insight into the mind of a diver and into the future, couldn't they see how dangerous he was?

[/QUOTE]Is it because, contrary to your assertions, there is not a way to reliably spot these divers before hand; that there is no magical ability one gains when they buy their instructor/DM card? people vary in decision making capabilities, they are human, and no one is perfect.
to say someone brought a card might happen in your world not in mine.
everyone has different skills and abilities. the old saying is what do you call the doctor who graduated last in his class out of medical school? DOCTOR.

[/QUOTE]Face it, if he'd walked up to your boat, and you too had never met him, you'd have let him on your boat too. He would have been confident, sure of himself, handled his gear well, and given you no warning signs. Exactly like I stated before. Your insight would have failed you, just as the operators of the vessel he was on failed to spot him.[/QUOTE]
Nope. through direct and indirect observation I most likely would have either gone to a location that fit the divers training and experience, or insisted that a dive pro accompany him, or deny him passage.
I have denied passage to some in the past and will do so in the future. Most recent was on a group I took to Bonaire..because of unsafe practices the individual and his wife are denied to travel with us on our store sponsored trips, permanently. They have tried to get on 3 separate trips with us since and denied each time..rather lose a customer than have some one get themselves dead on a dive.

---------- Post added May 4th, 2014 at 01:33 PM ----------

In terms of liability, putting a DM in the water increases your liability. Now, in the jury's eyes, you put a Professional Diver in the water, made them responsible for the other divers, and a jury may see this as a duty to care.

does not increase liability, actually decreases it.shows that standard duty of care was used and dm attempted to increase divers safety for those that he felt may need guidance.
Why, oh why, couldn't these good experienced dive pros on the second boat see how poorly skilled this diver was?[/QUOTE]
dive pros like every individual in life have different views on what may be safe or not. They erred by not doing what a reasonably prudent dive pro would do.

Why, with their magical insight into the mind of a diver and into the future, couldn't they see how dangerous he was?

[/QUOTE]Is it because, contrary to your assertions, there is not a way to reliably spot these divers before hand; that there is no magical ability one gains when they buy their instructor/DM card?
people vary in decision making capabilities, they are human, and no one is perfect.
everyone has different skills and abilities. the old saying is what do you call the doctor who graduated last in his class out of medical school? DOCTOR.

[/QUOTE]Face it, if he'd walked up to your boat, and you too had never met him, you'd have let him on your boat too. He would have been confident, sure of himself, handled his gear well, and given you no warning signs. Exactly like I stated before. Your insight would have failed you, just as the operators of the vessel he was on failed to spot him.[/QUOTE]
Nope. through direct and indirect observation I most likely would have either gone to a location that fit the divers training and experience, or insisted that a dive pro accompany him, or deny him passage.
I have denied passage to some in the past and will do so in the future. Most recent was on a group I took to Bonaire..because of unsafe practices the individual and his wife are denied to travel with us on our store sponsored trips, permanently. They have tried to get on 3 separate trips with us since and denied each time..rather lose a customer than have some one get themselves dead on a dive.

I have denied passage to some in the past and will do so in the future. Most recent was on a group I took to Bonaire..because of unsafe practices the individual and his wife are denied to travel with us on our store sponsored trips, permanently.

Since this came up as an example, will you tell us what the unsafe practices in question were, thought to warrant 'policing' or exclusion? Just curious.

Richard.

orsor
only you are responsible for your safety..Dm is not responsible except to ensure safe practices are followed. the deceased failed to stay with their buddy and exceeded safe diving recommendations with respect to time and depth.
No one wants to be involved in an accident. Even if the boat operator/dm is found not to be at fault due to inept diver having accident there will almost always be an expensive lawsuit to defend and loss of business and reputation. Most dive operators want to sleep at night.

I'm not understanding, were these DM in the water acting as guides? Is that what got him thrown off the first boat? And you are right nobody want's to have an accident, but that's why the are called accidents. but from what you describe happen, you're sort of contradicting yourself, how would see any of this before got in they water? If the first dive op saw this and banned him from their boat, then how would the second know this and be held liable.

---------- Post added May 4th, 2014 at 04:25 PM ----------

Just curious how would you figure any of this out without getting in the water

orsor only you are responsible for your safety..Dm is not responsible except to ensure safe practices are followed. the deceased failed to stay with their buddy and exceeded safe diving recommendations with respect to time and depth.
And How would a DM have been able to stop that? They couldn't, as the diver was already in the water. You purport to be able to detect dangerous divers before the dive. Your example fails to stand up to scrutiny.

But not as a result of this accident. If that were the case, there are several operations in the Keys that would have folded. Don't try to imply correlation when none exists.

What? Please learn to format your posts so they are legible.

Oh, I see. So this company thought that the diver separating from his buddy and exceeding safe diving recommendations with respect to time and depth was safe?

No one out there believes that this would have been safe. I want you to detail exactly what the dive pros should have done to stop this diver. You can’t; because there was no reasonable way to know before he got into the water and failed to follow procedures. By then, it was too late.

people vary in decision making capabilities, they are human, and no one is perfect.
But your whole argument is based on the assumption that the DM knows better than I do; that they, as a whole group, can spot these dangerous divers. The fact is that they cannot, and insisting that I follow them/ their plan is more dangerous; despite the “rules” of the boat.
This is why I neither trust DMs or will follow them blindly.
BS. It happens in your world, just as it does everywhere. You pay your money, you get a card. It may take some people some time, they may have to repeat some things, but they always get their card if they stick with it. The card is bought.

I know, it makes you uncomfortable to see that truth, but that is what it is, for almost every certification level, to include the professional ranks.
Irrelevant; diving is not a peer competition.
Somehow…I really, really, doubt this to be true.

Because this diver was experienced, there are NO warning cues for you to key on. You would have seen a diver comfortable in their abilities (misplaced as it is) and quite capable of handling their gear. The disaster started in the water, and then, you have no ability to control what happens.

The diver selected that charter because he knew where they were going. You would have had no keying features to know that you should change it. Likewise, you would not have denied him passage.

Second, because the diver willingly broke several rules, including not staying with his buddy, what makes you think he would have stayed with a DM? A DM in the water would not have changed events. What do you think the DM would do; get into a wrestling match underwater?

It’s easy to sit back, arm-chair quarterback another operation’s decisions. You would have done the same as them. As I said, I want you to detail exactly what the dive pros on that boat should have done or seen to stop this diver. You can’t; because there was no reasonable way to know before he got into the water and failed to follow procedures. By then, it was too late.

The fact remains that DMs and Instructors do not have a magical ability to sense dangerous divers. Purporting that your experience lets you "know" who may be dangerous based on a few possibly misleading surface cues breeds complacency, because you overestimate your ability and start to trust that fallacy.
Complacency Kills.

Last edited by a moderator:
TC , I suggest you get some real experience.
You have what a little more than 200 dives?
A dive pro has documented proof of training and abilities. are they infallible? of course they are.
Some dive pros are better than others, experience means alot .None I ever taught paid for their card, they earned it. I have failed quite a few at divemaster level and Asst instr level because of ther lack of abilities. At IDC's (I hold a IDCS rating) I have recommended to course directors that some students be held back from being allowed to attend IE's and they were. They paid alot for a card and NEVER got one. Piss them off alot and they may bad mouth myself and the training agency,but thats just too bad. They failed to meet standards.
A statement you wrote about being insulted if you are asked to demo some skills before being allowed on a dive..to me that is a give away of some one who is uncomfortable with their skills and is trying to hide something. A seasoned diver will always respond "sure no problem"..

I am so tired of discussing this,lets say you win and thats it..
When you get your big boy pants on feel free to get into this.

TC , I suggest you get some real experience.
You have what a little more than 200 dives?
A dive pro has documented proof of training and abilities. are they infallible? of course they are.

More experience? Than what, A DM who has 60 Dives? Give me a break.

Buying a card does not mean that you are an experienced diver. This holds true for any diver. The fact that you're going to try to rip on me because you have more dives just shows how shallow your character really is. It's the way out for a person who can't make their point.

None I ever taught paid for their card, they earned it. I have failed quite a few at divemaster level and Asst instr level because of ther lack of abilities. At IDC's (I hold a IDCS rating) I have recommended to course directors that some students be held back from being allowed to attend IE's and they were. They paid alot for a card and NEVER got one. Piss them off alot and they may bad mouth myself and the training agency,but thats just too bad. They failed to meet standards.

They paid you, they got a card. If they don't perform well, you let them retrain and retake the part they failed. It may take them some time, but they still get what they pay for. Same goes for instructors. There are retraining and retesting opportunities if they pursue them.

Face the facts; divers buy a certification card- and that holds true for instructors as well as OW students. I know, I know; this makes you uncomfortable, because you really think you had to work hard to get your bits of plastic. The truth is that they were yours when you put your money down.

What separates a good instructor from the rest is what they do with that plastic bits after they get them.

Last edited by a moderator:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom