Keep reminding people: Don't rent scooters and don't dive without DAN accident insurance!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

open water? wasn't that a relatively shallow dive then? I didn't think it was common to get bent that way
Sorry, I meant the first post-certification dive. That was actually in a freshwater spring fed hole in New Mexico that bottoms at 84 feet. We certified in a spring fed pool in West Texas that's only 20 feet at the deepest, but there are ways to hurt yourself even shallower. All he incurred there was ear injuries from equalizing poorly.

Sorry, I meant the first post-certification dive. That was actually in a freshwater spring fed hole in New Mexico that bottoms at 84 feet. We certified in a spring fed pool in West Texas that's only 20 feet at the deepest, but there are ways to hurt yourself even shallower. All he incurred there was ear injuries from equalizing poorly.
was he down for a while or something? at the New Mexico place

was he down for a while or something? at the New Mexico place
Don’t let his posts scare you, if you have concerns discuss them with your instructor. Diving can be safe and fun.

Don’t let his posts scare you, if you have concerns discuss them with your instructor. Diving can be safe and fun.
I'm not scared, just confused because I thought you have a really low chance of getting bent if you follow NDLs/your computer.

I'm not scared, just confused because I thought you have a really low chance of getting bent if you follow NDLs/your computer.
You probably cannot follow your computer if you lose your weight belt. But his buddy experienced a barotrauma, not a DCS hit, probably (IMO) from forgetting to equalize as he rose uncontrollably to the surface.

was he down for a while or something? at the New Mexico pNo.lace
No. We were wearing thick suits for the cold water, so lots of lead for the significant buoyancy. When he lost his lead, he has a runaway ascent coming up too fast from depth.
Thanks.

I've been riding motorcycles of all kinds for about 60 years. What is a minor fender bender in a car can easily be fatal on a motorbike. The idea that "it can't happen to me" is wishful thinking.
The odds are great that riding a scooter in Cozumel will not result in an injury. But the risk is real.

I'm glad that my ranting thread helped bring it to your attention. Are instructors not mentioning DAN dive insurance? Mine did, I signed up right away, but my home bud who took the same class didn't, then he took a slight hit on the first dive when his weight belt came loose. He didn't tell me until some time later, but he was sore for some time. I was glad that he wasn't hurt worse, but I became more proactive in his diving and plans.
According to my dive shop operator Dan offers a subsidy to the operator for a DAN referral. It could be something like a Dan O2 kit...

Kinda makes you wonder how come you never see that family of 5 on the scooter having an accident
You would want to see that? Families have accidents on scooters more than you might think. Por Esto covers this and includes pictures. Our housekeepers neighbor lost their young child in a scooter accident not long ago. FWIW, I cringe every time I see a family on a moto. Most times the kids have no helmets.
I drive here daily. It’s hard enough sharing the road with people who have been riding scooters daily for years, tourists on motors add another level of concern. Maybe the people posting here are exceptions to the most clueless tourists renting motors. Most are unsure of the street direction, stop signs, pulling out into traffic and passing vehicles. It’s not only a bit risky for them, add that the the usual poor condition of the equipment, it’s terrifying for those of us driving in cars.
On our way home from dinner just now on 30 between 5 and 7 was closed in both directions because of a moto accident. No idea what caused it. The friends I was with sent me real time video from Conexion Urbana of the accidents aftermath. I surprised it existed! Looks like the victim survived. He wasn't moving much. They paramedics were putting him in an ambulance. Hopefully he will be OK.
UPDATE….Not a moto accident! Just a guy who fell and hit his head crossing 30! still thinking driving motors is risky.

Reactions: MMM
You would want to see that? Families have accidents on scooters more than you might think. Por Esto covers this and includes pictures. Our housekeepers neighbor lost their young child in a scooter accident not long ago. FWIW, I cringe every time I see a family on a moto. Most times the kids have no helmets.
I drive here daily. It’s hard enough sharing the road with people who have been riding scooters daily for years, tourists on motors add another level of concern. Maybe the people posting here are exceptions to the most clueless tourists renting motors. Most are unsure of the street direction, stop signs, pulling out into traffic and passing vehicles. It’s not only a bit risky for them, add that the the usual poor condition of the equipment, it’s terrifying for those of us driving in cars.
On our way home from dinner just now on 30 between 5 and 7 was closed in both directions because of a moto accident. No idea what caused it. The friends I was with sent me real time video from Conexion Urbana of the accidents aftermath. I surprised it existed! Looks like the victim survived. He wasn't moving much. They paramedics were putting him in an ambulance. Hopefully he will be OK.
UPDATE….Not a moto accident! Just a guy who fell and hit his head crossing 30! still thinking driving motors is risky.
Perhaps tourists shouldn’t walk either;-)

Back
Top Bottom