Keep reminding people: Don't rent scooters and don't dive without DAN accident insurance!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Eta- so everyone should get dive insurance no matter how often you do or don’t dive? OW student here who wants to know how to prepare for my first dives.
In a word, yes. It's cheap enough not to move the needle much if at all when added to the expense of a dive vacation and very cheap indeed compared to what it will cost you if you take a DCS hit with no insurance coverage.

Eta- so everyone should get dive insurance no matter how often you do or don’t dive? OW student here who wants to know how to prepare for my first dives.
I am not sure I understand your question. Eta? Yes, your instructor should have given you some information on Divers Alert Network dive insurance but you can use that link. Membership starting at $40 is required, but that also guarantees repatriation on any trip, alive or not. Then you have choices on dive insurance. The combined cost is not that much.

They also offer pretty good Trip insurance which is a good idea anytime you leave the US. Membership is not required for that so anyone can use it.

I am not sure I understand your question. Eta? Yes, your instructor should have given you some information on Divers Alert Network dive insurance but you can use that link. Membership starting at $40 is required, but that also guarantees repatriation on any trip, alive or not. Then you have choices on dive insurance. The combined cost is not that much.

They also offer pretty good Trip insurance which is a good idea anytime you leave the US. Membership is not required for that so anyone can use it.
Ah, ETA means edited to add lol. so I edited to add the question about insurance.
I never thought to ask before reading this. He probably hasn't discussed it because its relatively far beyond where I'm at right now

In a word, yes. It's cheap enough not to move the needle much if at all when added to the expense of a dive vacation and very cheap indeed compared to what it will cost you if you take a DCS hit with no insurance coverage.
yeah, I'd much rather not be out $30,000.

I never thought to ask before reading this.
I'm glad that my ranting thread helped bring it to your attention. Are instructors not mentioning DAN dive insurance? Mine did, I signed up right away, but my home bud who took the same class didn't, then he took a slight hit on the first dive when his weight belt came loose. He didn't tell me until some time later, but he was sore for some time. I was glad that he wasn't hurt worse, but I became more proactive in his diving and plans.

I'm glad that my ranting thread helped bring it to your attention. Are instructors not mentioning DAN dive insurance? Mine did, I signed up right away, but my home bud who took the same class didn't, then he took a slight hit on the first dive when his weight belt came loose. He didn't tell me until some time later, but he was sore for some time. I was glad that he wasn't hurt worse, but I became more proactive in his diving and plans.
well idk I've had 2 classes so far LOL. I don't think id sign up until I get certified though anyway

Kinda makes you wonder how come you never see that family of 5 on the scooter having an accident

open water? wasn't that a relatively shallow dive then? I didn't think it was common to get bent that way
I think he meant the first dive of the day, which at Cozumel would typically be to 60-80 feet. Don said that his buddy lost his weight belt; that could cause him to go to the surface rather quickly. Not good.

I think he meant the first dive of the day, which at Cozumel would typically be to 60-80 feet. Don said that his buddy lost his weight belt; that could cause him to go to the surface rather quickly. Not good.
ohhhh
yeah I read loose weight belt and thought maybe he didn't ascend super fast

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom