Keep reminding people: Don't rent scooters and don't dive without DAN accident insurance!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mexico doesn't have universal health care?
Oh God no - they have something that if you work you have access to the social hospital but from what I see and hear, treatment is bare - like when you break your wrist you won't get world class guy putting you back together with pins and screws. An instructor from Aldora broke her wrist in a silly scooter accident - Aldora has a great relationship with International (private) Hospital and I remember it was a few days and Memo intervening before she was seen by the correct people - if that had been the social hospital.......

There is another lower level of care for the non employeed, I'm not even sure what they do.

The private hospitals, that is where you need to get to if you have a problem. It is an island of limited size, so in reality, rapid treatment doesn't always happen but the Dr's in the private area are really really good, you just need to pay or have recognized insurance.

Mexico doesn't have universal health care?
Their national law says yes, but puts the financing and operations on the states, so it's complicated and not reliable. Healthcare in Mexico - Wikipedia.

The couple recently discussed in this thread are not Mexicans. They're from Argentina and like other tourists will only receive the care they can afford. See Argentinian tourist returned home for hospital care after Cozumel medical bills skyrocket - Riviera Maya News

Most of us don't expect to incur medical problems on vacation, but they happen. Most American tourists have medical coverage at home I think, but it usually is worthless outside of the US.

DAN's trip insurance is indeed underwritten by Generali as stated on their site, and Generali does have better rates for a trip to Mexico at least. It's interesting that Generali asks where you're going while DAN does not so I guess that they have different rates and/or plans for different countries. For quotes to Mexico, the coverages are not the same, but Generali does seem to offer more medical and accident coverage for less. How about that.
I originally went with Generali on the last trip because their covid policy seemed to have much better coverage whereas DAN's to me seemed like nothing was clear as far as covid. Also, it helped that I could get good coverage for a decent amount less than DAN.

I originally went with Generali on the last trip because their covid policy seemed to have much better coverage whereas DAN's to me seemed like nothing was clear as far as covid. Also, it helped that I could get good coverage for a decent amount less than DAN.
Yes, and I've found that not only less, but better.
Gotta hand it to DAN; they do a helluva job marketing.

Gotta hand it to DAN; they do a helluva job marketing.
Aside from dive insurance, they suck. Their trip insurance should be the same at the same price as Generali's.

So, on the trip insurance front, anyone used GeoBlue?

I have used SafeTrip from United Health Care since before UHC owned them. For a number of years, I bought the year long frequent traveler, but they quit selling it.

I just bought the GeoBlue trekker year long. It has little or no trip stuff, like flights and all. I could care less about that. We mostly fly with nothing to our condo that has our stuff.

So, strictly medical, any opinions?

So, on the trip insurance front, anyone used GeoBlue?

I have used SafeTrip from United Health Care since before UHC owned them. For a number of years, I bought the year long frequent traveler, but they quit selling it.

I just bought the GeoBlue trekker year long. It has little or no trip stuff, like flights and all. I could care less about that. We mostly fly with nothing to our condo that has our stuff.

So, strictly medical, any opinions?
Back before I was concerned about trip interruption insurance due to having to quarantine, my only travel concern was health insurance, and I used to buy Geo Blue. I never had to make a claim, so I can't vouch for it.

Back before I was concerned about trip interruption insurance due to having to quarantine, my only travel concern was health insurance, and I used to buy Geo Blue. I never had to make a claim, so I can't vouch for it.
Actually, I guess I never used the SafeTrip either.

Once for stiches, I mailed it to blue cross and they reimbursed the whole thing.

Then the missus demonstrated her need for a couple of new heart valves on a night dive and Blue Cross covered that couple of nights in International Hospital except for another 700 or so I think DAN caught. Still didn't get to use the trip insurance.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom