Keep an eye on this one

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'll take tornadoes any time. They wipe out blocks, not entire states, and they do it in minutes rather than hours.
Except the 1999 OK tornado. That took a 1-2 mile wide swath out of OK from Anadarko all the way up to Stroud. Pretty close to the whole state long!

Hey DAN small World, your 368 miles from me.... if you in Lubbock TX that is.

we had a thunderstorm last night, with high winds that blew some of my patio furniture from one side of my deck clear across to the other side.

...sometimes I just post things for the sole purpose of raising my post count :)
We had 50 mph winds and blowing dust, lol!

I grew up near the intersection of two railroad tracks and they used to toot-toot bang-bang cars at night, so slept thru two tornado force winds that took off half the roof off of our barn 100 yards from the house, then the other half another year. Thunder arriving 1/2 second behind lightening wakes me tho. :eek:
Except the 1999 OK tornado. That took a 1-2 mile wide swath out of OK from Anadarko all the way up to Stroud. Pretty close to the whole state long!
Ok ok, several blocks wide at times. I've never heard of a hurricane only a mile or two wide tho.

Hey DAN small World, your 368 miles from me.... if you in Lubbock TX that is.
Plainview area, about the mid point of I-27. I don't think I've been to Temple? :confused:

We want to start discussing this one or wait until it gets named and start a new thread? I know a lot of folks fly into the Caribbean and Latin American area in storm season without Trip Insurance, but damn...!! :shakehead:

at201207_5day.gif

We want to start discussing this one or wait until it gets named and start a new thread? I know a lot of folks fly into the Caribbean and Latin American area in storm season without Trip Insurance, but damn...!! :shakehead:
at201207_5day.gif

OMG Don - please! It's WAY too early to know ANYTHING! We are watching it, trust me - but the models and discussions have it doing everything from totally fizzling out to going up into LALA land in the N. Atlantic, to bee-lining to CZM to "Antartica" right now...can we have a few breaths and AT LEAST wait until it gets to the Lesser Antilles - if it even makes it that far!

BTW anyone who is reading this - the graph above is totally misleading - that is only ONE of the MANY POSSIBLE paths - this is actually the "average" of all POSSIBLE paths - there is absolutely no certainty at this point and we cannot say that we have a storm heading for us at this point! Thank you!

OMG Don - please! It's WAY too early to know ANYTHING! We are watching it, trust me - but the models and discussions have it doing everything from totally fizzling out to going up into LALA land in the N. Atlantic, to bee-lining to CZM to "Antartica" right now...can we have a few breaths and AT LEAST wait until it gets to the Lesser Antilles - if it even makes it that far!

BTW anyone who is reading this - the graph above is totally misleading - that is only ONE of the MANY POSSIBLE paths - this is actually the "average" of all POSSIBLE paths - there is absolutely no certainty at this point and we cannot say that we have a storm heading for us at this point! Thank you!
It was a joke, which is why I put it here. I'll post it in Storm forum when it gets named, if it survives. I can only hope no one really starts a Heads-Up thread on this forum, but also hope everyone does check weather.

Apparently the port was closed today due to wind and waves... Typically, what would the wind speeds be for the port to close? Two days were blown out when I was there in Dec... No harm done as we went diving in the cenotes instead but would be good to know...

Apparently the port was closed today due to wind and waves... Typically, what would the wind speeds be for the port to close? Two days were blown out when I was there in Dec... No harm done as we went diving in the cenotes instead but would be good to know...
Are you sure? The airport there says the winds were out of the East and ESE, so the island should have sheltered the reef - and the strongest noted was 14 mph, if those records are correct.

Winds out of the NE or SW are the ones that affect the reef area the most. Small boats get grounded first, depending on speed and direction of wind and waves.

Back
Top Bottom