JUST FOR GIRLS: Do you feel creeped out when...?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I could be wrong, but the demographic for the average diver is a middle-aged male. So for a young guy finding a single attractive woman his own age group and location, it is like finding a unicorn. So naturally he wants to make contact. It is has been a long time since I was 21, but isn't that what 20 somethings do now? Text each other? Friend each other on Facebook?

Maybe flirting is a lost art in the Internet Age. Back in the day, if a young single person happened across someone they found attractive and shared a common interest with, like diving or any other pastime, it was natural to expect a bit of flirting. Where to draw the line--how persistent to be--is a question far older than the Internet, but I suppose it's that much harder to read someone's reactions online than in person.

Well, OP pulled down her avatar and seems to have bailed, at least temporarily. Sorry to see that.. I think most criticism here has been constructive.

As the father of two attractive daughters, I feel somewhat qualified to comment here a little..
1) Posting "Women Only" will just about guarantee MOST men will be reading this thread. Probably just because we are all mostly clueless and are desperate for any insight..

2) From a 1"x1" avatar, the op looks like a charming young lady. Surely are not surprised you got some attention here.

3) I've had this theme validated by the three women closest to me, so here goes.. There is a very fine line between stalker and romantic flame. That line is most clearly defined by how much the woman in question appreciates said pursuer. If its Brad Pitt,, Maybe he can get away with the hard sell.. For the rest of us beasties, you better tread lightly, or your might just get the tazer.. :)

This can be confusing for guys, because media has fed us for years on images of men aggressively pursuing their girl until she is eventually won over. You don't have to like my point.. but there it is. Not an excuse for knuckle headed dudes who can't take a hint..

4) I find myself actually resisting contact, or reaching out to women on the forum, especially the younger ones.. Just because am aware of how many women get unwanted attention. ..But I doubt anyone will be offended by that.. :)

As the father of two attractive daughters, I feel somewhat qualified to comment here a little..
Not that you're bragging, of course, but..........:poke:

1) Posting "Women Only" will just about guarantee MOST men will be reading this thread. Probably just because we are all mostly clueless and are desperate for any insight..
Best line in this thread.

I sent her a very nice private message and asked her not to bail on SB because of this and also said, The avatar picture was a little bit "chesty" and maybe a more PG avatar would stop any " FORWARD " or Creepy guys ... The sad fact is that women that are very good looking and post pictures tend to get hit on by other members...

Jim...

I sent her a very nice private message and asked her not to bail on SB because of this and also said, The avatar picture was a little bit "chesty" and maybe a more PG avatar would stop any " FORWARD " or Creepy guys ... The sad fact is that women that are very good looking and post pictures tend to get hit on by other members...

Jim...

On the one big gun forum I belong to, those guys are known as the "leg humpers."

So they can or can't view reported conversations?
When you report a conversation, only the portion you report is sent to us. We don't have to access anyone's account to see it and as I pointed out: that's not allowed in any event. There's a plug in we could install to do that, but that's not going to happen.

PMs have only been inspected as a part of a police investigation. We've had two of our members murdered in the past. No, it had nothing to do with other ScubaBoarder or our users. In fact, in both cases, their estranged spouses were charged. In any event, once you're dead, I'll let the police have access if they feel they need it. If you're alive, it's going to take your permission or a court order for me to let them in. In any event, the staff is still not allowed to take a peek... and that includes me.
It's not like some stalker actually got a hold of her private email address
That can't happen here. In addition, there are privacy settings that will stop people you're not friends with from messaging you or leaving notes on your wall.

The sad fact is that women that are very good looking and post pictures tend to get hit on by other members...

I am not sure how sad this truism is.

I think that it is just a manifestation of human nature.

Whether on-line with a photo, or in the real world with eye-catching or revealing apparel, attractiveness displayed will attraction achieve, and is often the intention.

How one presents oneself is a free and conscious choice. If you choose to post a pretty picture of yourself, or hide behind a generic or other avatar, the world is watching.

The conundrum, particularly for females, in our mate-seeking species, is the unwanted advances that their attractiveness may induce.

Fathers, I believe, have a responsibility to instruct their daughters on the very real dangers and consequences of interpretations and misinterpretations of what may be seen as attention-seeking in a world not entirely populated with classic gentlemen. I do hope that this statement is not seen as blaming the victim, or minimizing the role of mothers, as it is not my intention, but only a reality, and a slightly sad one at that.

I am not sure how sad this truism is.

I think that it is just a manifestation of human nature.

Whether on-line with a photo, or in the real world with eye-catching or revealing apparel, attractiveness displayed will attraction achieve, and is often the intention.

How one presents oneself is a free and conscious choice. If you choose to post a pretty picture of yourself, or hide behind a generic or other avatar, the world is watching.

The conundrum, particularly for females, in our mate-seeking species, is the unwanted advances that their attractiveness may induce.

Fathers, I believe, have a responsibility to instruct their daughters on the very real dangers and consequences of interpretations and misinterpretations of what may be seen as attention-seeking in a world not entirely populated with classic gentlemen. I do hope that this statement is not seen as blaming the victim, or minimizing the role of mothers, as it is not my intention, but only a reality, and a slightly sad one at that.
While provocative clothes do provocate, one winter I got hit on while walking New York City in every outer sweater and coat and scarf I owned, a veritable walking laundry pile, only my eyes were visible, like a Star Wars Jawa, scavenger, so I would say it is hard to avoid nets thrown too widely.
Having said that, the mods would notice if the same guy was knocking on every female door and perhaps give him some advice on cooling it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom