Jupiter Trip Report 04/26/2013

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SSharkk

Contributor
Reaction score
Jupiter Dive Center www.jupiterdivecenter.com

Friday 3 Tank Dive

Checked In = Gerry

Captain = Mike

Dive Guide = Sandy

Deckhand = Bo

Stunningly Good Conditions

Water temp – 78 F, sea temps are beginning to warm quickly

Vis - 20 to 80 + ft. - first dive was in clear “Palm Beach Blue” water

Moderate north current, 2 to 3 foot seas, very little cloud cover

Animals of Note:

1 manatee - at the dock while we loading the dive boat Republic IV. A very good omen, which paid off later. Save the Manatee Club

27 bull sharks – the migrations are starting to build in numbers

19 caribbean reef sharks – two tagged

It was reported to us by fellow divers aboard the boat that a hammerhead was on the surface close to the dive guide and me while we were doing our safety stop, we never saw it. Drat!

Surprisingly no nurse sharks

1 leatherback sea turtle – on the surface in transit between dives 1 and 2, The Project Log

5 loggerhead sea turtles – two swam off the bottom to inspect us at very close range

3 hawksbill sea turtles – including one mature male, the first adult hawksbill I have ever seen in Florida

3 green sea turtles

In net we saw four of the five species of sea turtles present in Florida waters in a single day.

18 goliath groupers

3 schools of kingfish

1 school of bonitos

2 schools of jack crevalle, one school of jacks were harassing a bull shark

1 snook

The conditions and the marine life were quite good. We should be seeing even bigger numbers of migratory fish as we head into May and early June.

Great report Jeff, glad you got to see a leatherback, I have yet to be so lucky. Great showing of Bulls on the deep ledge.

Friday was the day. Blowing like h--l now. I just can't get a break on the weekends. I am drying out! Must . . . get . . . . wet
Playing hooky and ardent shark prayers often helps.

Cap't Tim at JDC told me yesterday was beautiful. Today, the conditions were not quite as nice, but it still was fun to dive! Adam (the deckhand) had his hands full getting divers back to the their seats after the dives. It's been 3 weeks since I last dove and I noted the steep increase in the temperature too. The 7mm wetsuit was a bit toasty today!!

Thanks for the dive report Ssharkk, I always enjoy seeing your reports!

The 7mm wetsuit was a bit toasty today!!

I was on the Emerald and noticed the nice water temp change. I was very comfortable in my 8/7 semi dry. Just a couple of weeks ago I wore a 3mm under it. I'm such a wimp. My oceanic read 78 degrees but I think it's 3 degrees off since getting a refurbished one back from repair. I'd wager 75 degrees today??

3 hawksbill sea turtles – including one mature male, the first adult hawksbill I have ever seen in Florida.

Very interesting! 75% of the hawksbills we see in SoFL are from the Yucatan. And head back there when it's time to start mating. I'd be curious to hear what Dr. Larry Wood has to say about this.

Great report Jeff, glad you got to see a leatherback, I have yet to be so lucky. Great showing of Bulls on the deep ledge.
Captain Gerald:

Lest anyone feels even slight sympathy for you, I believe you shot pictures of a kemp's ridley sea turtle at "Tunnels" in the not too distant past. http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/fl...ter-trip-report-3-29-3-31-4-1-4-2-2013-a.html

The last time I checked the exchange rate, one ridley photographed underwater is worth 12.56 leatherbacks seen on the surface or 3.28 leatherbacks encountered underwater. You’re killing us.

---------- Post added April 28th, 2013 at 12:30 PM ----------

Very interesting! 75% of the hawksbills we see in SoFL are from the Yucatan. And head back there when it's time to start mating. I'd be curious to hear what Dr. Larry Wood has to say about this.
Thanks jet123:

I have been in correspondence with Larry about the sighting since yesterday.

Of course, if we had more divers looking for adult hawksbills, the odds of seeing them would increase dramatically.

I suspect, at least in northern Palm Beach County, and if this last one was not a single stray, we will find them in deeper water or shallower water. In the band of depths we frequent, 60 to 100 ft., mature hawksbills are unreported. The juveniles, however, many of which carry Larry’s tags, are frequently encountered on our reefs.

From now on I am going to be straining my eyes at the edge of visibility, trying to find another mature hawksbill.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Florida-Hawksbill-Project/119729704762313

Jeff

My oceanic read 78 degrees but I think it's 3 degrees off since getting a refurbished one back from repair. I'd wager 75 degrees today??

Amazz, unless my computers (I dive with two) are off by the same increment as yours, I think you got a good reading. Mine read 76-79 degrees depending on the site.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom