Jupiter Dive Thread

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Now if anyone ever wants a master class on shooting an SMB, Divin'Papaw is your man. I had just looked at him, looked at my computer, saw it was time to end the dive, turn to look at him to call the dive, and his SMB was already heading to the surface. Imagine an old western shootout where the cowboy pulls his gun out real fast. Yeah, he does that with SMBs. :)
What's your technique @Divin'Papaw??

It's like watching David Copperfield. He wiggles his hands and if you blink, you'll see the spool spinning in his fingers.

Next time we dive together I'll let @MrChen film me, but he'll have to do it in slow motion or all you'll see is a blur and then ... poof ... the spool is spinning before me. :rofl3:

Seriously though, nothing complicated at all. It's just a lot of practice and doing it the same way every time. Here is the process I follow.

1. Slow is smooth and smooth is fast. Learned that in tech class. Focus on being smooth, not fast.
2. Inflate from depth, not the safety stop
3. Pull DSMB from right pocket in my pocket shorts. That's all I keep in that pocket so it slides right out.
4. Free 18" inflator hose attached to my pony
5. Remove double ender from DSMB, attach to right chest d-ring, unfurl DSMB
6. Immediately put just a puff of air in the DSMB ... this gets it to unfurl up above you and gets most of it out of your way without pulling you up
7. Give the DSMB a solid 3-4 sec burst of air from the inflator hose, holding the spool in my right hand ... then let it fly with the spool spinning in my right hand pinched between my thumb and index finger
8. From depth (typically 50-80' for the dives that I do) the DSMB will be 100% full on the surface and most likely you will hear the exhaust valve popping a few times on the way up
9. Start your ascent
10. Re-tuck the inflator hose at the safety stop

Oh ... and look up right before you start to make sure no one is above you. I use a 6' slim Halcyon closed DSMB typically.

@Divin'Papaw I noticed a different valve (metalic?) then I'm used to seeing on your DSMB. Is it comparable to the plastic valves we normally see on DSMBs? What length is your DSMB? When you say you had your DSMB in your pocket, did this include your spool too and is it already attached?

I think the trick to the speed was having that inflator hose at the ready on his pony, which is slung and easily accessible. I am usually fidgeting with changing regulators to free up my primary to inflate from the bottom of my DSMB and maybe mine is too long, forcing me to spend more time unraveling it all. My DSMB also has this incredibly long strap that I have to make sure doesn't get tangled in my regulator.

@Divin'Papaw I noticed a different valve (metalic?) then I'm used to seeing on your DSMB. Is it comparable to the plastic valves we normally see on DSMBs? What length is your DSMB? When you say you had your DSMB in your pocket, did this include your spool too and is it already attached?

I think the trick to the speed was having that inflator hose at the ready on his pony, which is slung and easily accessible. I am usually fidgeting with changing regulators to free up my primary to inflate from the bottom of my DSMB and maybe mine is too long, forcing me to spend more time unraveling it all. My DSMB also has this incredibly long strap that I have to make sure doesn't get tangled in my regulator.

My DSMB and spool are pre-rigged in my pocket. All I have to do is remove the double ender. I hate DSMBs with plastic valves. They break and also tend to stick easier on an inflator hose. I use Halcyon DSMBs exclusively. They have stainless steel inflator valves. I use a 6' slim halcyon closed DSMB but I also have 2 other sizes I sometimes use. Using an inflator hose off my side slung pony is a game changer for me. Honestly, it is as much the reason I sling a pony as is the emergency redundant air source!

They were just checking me out to see if I had food I think. They never threatened me and other than try and keep an eye on them, I didn’t have to take any action. None of them got too close before veering off. It was just a bit unnerving because the viz was so poor.
I've noticed bulls tend to be very aware of what the visibility is; the sketchiest Deep Ledge day I had with them (barring the one lionfish tournament where I went off by my lonesome, ran low on gas, and had one come up fast from below) was a February dive when we had maybe 30 ft of viz and about 20 or so bulls. Nothing aggressive and one guy who speared a rainbow runner got it back to the boat with no issues; just a lot of head swiveling required to keep tabs on them all.

off the coast of Jupiter - gargantuan shark

1677168560984.png

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom