Jupiter Dive Thread

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You know it's cold in S. Florida when you cant wait to get back in to the water to warm up :cool:

You can also tell the tourists vs locals. Tourists board the boat in short-sleeve shirts and maybe a light jacket. Locals look like we are planning to go snowmobiling with our parkas and stocking caps.

wind proof...that was a mistake
On a neoprene wetsuit topside,,the most critical item to stop is the "Moisture Evaporation" You really need to stop that wetsuit from losing moisture. It's exactly the same concept as 90% alcohol on your hand and how cold it gets as it evaporates rapidly.

I keep a scrunched up self folding thin nylon rain jacket the size of a baseball available at any sporting store in my drybag. It needs to have waist, wrist and head elastic or drawstrings and when you put it on - burp the air out of it. That will stop almost all the chilling moisture evaporation. You won't get cold, your wetsuit will hold the heat and keep you warm. Evaporation is the killer.

Agreed The evaporation was brutal..the last dive on the second day about half way through we got pretty chilled even in 5mm. I should have worn a hood as well Overall the diving was awesome

I’ve been hoping to see and photograph Smalltooth Sawfish, Pristis pectinata for many years now had have yet to succeed. This is supposedly the right time of year to find them off the coast of West Palm Beach county. Does anyone on theses forums know of any confirmed sightings there this season?

I’ve been hoping to see and photograph Smalltooth Sawfish, Pristis pectinata for many years now had have yet to succeed. This is supposedly the right time of year to find them off the coast of West Palm Beach county. Does anyone on theses forums know of any confirmed sightings there this season?

A few weeks ago one of the Force-E instructors caught good video of one off of Boynton Beach. They posted it on FB.

A few weeks ago one of the Force-E instructors caught good video of one off of Boynton Beach. They posted it on FB.
Thank you sir. I'll see if I can't find out which instructor made the video, and possibly pay a visit to the same area if it is served by any of the local commercial operations. I stopped looking at FB a few years ago and don't particularly care to return to the site, so may have to rely on smoke signals or the jungle telegraph for further reconnaissance and intelligence.

Thank you sir. I'll see if I can't find out which instructor made the video, and possibly pay a visit to the same area if it is served by any of the local commercial operations. I stopped looking at FB a few years ago and don't particularly care to return to the site, so may have to rely on smoke signals or the jungle telegraph for further reconnaissance and intelligence.

It was on Loggerhead I believe but could be mistaken about that. The instructor was John Richert. It was Dec 30th.

Does anyone on theses forums know of any confirmed sightings there this season?
ScubaWorks has confirmed sightings this year at a certain Jupiter Spot. In my opinion the peak for them is 3rd week of February. Most of the boats are targeting Lemon's right now because it's their peak time. Wait and call the shop as it get's closer. They spook so easy that you'll usually only get 1 chance at it and you need to be 1st in the water. It's really cool to see them waiting on the sand, but a bit scary when they take off, swinging that blade at you..

How long do the lemons typically stay around?

I'm planning some dives on either the 12/13 or the 19/20 hopefully that's not too late.

How long do the lemons typically stay around?

I'm planning some dives on either the 12/13 or the 19/20 hopefully that's not too late.
Late Feb to early March is when the Lemon sightings tend to taper off. You'll still have a good chance at seeing several in mid/late February. You'll likely see some Bulls as well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom