Jupiter Dive Thread

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Drift dive etiquette question for Jupiter people:

Will be trying to schedule a dive out of Jupiter again this Spring -- really enjoyed it last year. I did actually have one question and/or request for advice. What is the etiquette on one of these dives is someone has trouble clearing? For example, if everyone jumps and the guide and divers are down at the bottom ready to go and it takes someone an extra several minutes to descend, what is the appropriate way to deal with that? (In my family, it's probably about 50/50 that someone will take extra time -- just part of diving for us, although we all get there eventually.)

Since this is a once per year event, I'll probably hire a private guide again, but honestly the primary reason for doing that is not to irritate others in the group if someone takes longer to clear.
If the "slow" diver(s) have the ability to swim in a more or less vigorous manner, then they can try to maintain a relative position above the dive guide/group by attempting to remain within view of the bubble stream. Generally the current will be stronger in the water column compared to the bottom, so the slow diver will need to kick upstream.

If the target is a wreck, the guide has no real choice but to hook off on the wreck, if the slowly descending diver can't make the wreck, then maybe ascend, get on the boat and try another drop?

If the target is a long reef, it may be beneficial to ask the Dive guide to "keep an eye out for you" on the slow descent and he may allow the group to drift a little faster with the current initially , so the relative speed of the group on the bottom is more similar to the descending divers. This makes it easier to stay in the bubble stream and may give the descending a divers a little more time.

Swimming upstream following visual clues or following a compass heading while regulating a descent and battling slow ears, may be too many "balls in the air" for some divers, but it can work when the visibility, the current and the conditions allow it.

... it takes someone an extra several minutes to descend, what is the appropriate way to deal with that?
I'm just talking about Drift diving, not wrecks. If you tell the Jupiter captain it takes you 10? minutes to clear till you are on the bottom, he can easily do that and actually would rather set you up specially because it's easier to 'retrieve' you away from the flag.

When I drop divers, I know 95% of the time from radio reports, my GPS speed and the secret flat swirls what the current is doing. In most cases, Jup surface currents run faster than bottom currents plus the DM sometimes may hook off the flag on the rock to assemble those that choose to stay with the DM.

If I know someone needs extra time to for their ears, I'm going to have you gear up & ready just like everyone else, but you won't jump in with them. I'll wait for the in water divers to clear a safe distance and then move the boat slightly way but still inline with the drop site. Remember it's the first 33 feet is the biggest pressure change and the hardest to clear so the surface current will have the biggest effect. In a 1.5knot typical current I'm going to give you an extra 300 feet from the DM's flag and then you splash. If someone absolutely is blocked and can't clear, the boat is far enough away from the flag to safely pick you up.

As you are slowly making your way down thru the first 33ft you'll start to see the reef below and the other divers on it. Now the pressure change on your ears is easier and you can turn around 180 degrees and slightly kick into the current and you'll literally land on the DM's group. Yes you'll miss the first 300-500ft of the reef but that's not a big deal when you can't clear quick.

Most Jupiter captains will give you extra lead in time & distance. But as I've said many times the best way to bribe a captain for a favor is to bring him food {donuts/fruitbowl/warm brownies etc}. But talk to him/her at the dock not on the boat so they setup your seat position correctly.

Will be trying to schedule a dive out of Jupiter again this Spring -- really enjoyed it last year. I did actually have one question and/or request for advice. What is the etiquette on one of these dives is someone has trouble clearing? For example, if everyone jumps and the guide and divers are down at the bottom ready to go and it takes someone an extra several minutes to descend, what is the appropriate way to deal with that? (In my family, it's probably about 50/50 that someone will take extra time -- just part of diving for us, although we all get there eventually.)

Since this is a once per year event, I'll probably hire a private guide again, but honestly the primary reason for doing that is not to irritate others in the group if someone takes longer to clear.
@Johnoly and others have some great advice.

Unless there is a raging current I think the easiest thing to do is to follow the flag/float line down from the surface. The line will lead you right to the guide and the rest of the group. Start your dive close to the guide and the flag/float. DO NOT grab the line but keep it in view as you descend.

This is easier if you have a buddy. The buddy without the clearing issue’s job will be to stay close to the line/keep it in view. All the clearing buddy has to do is keep his buddy in view as he’s clearing. This may require some swimming against the current as the current closer to the surface is typically a little stronger than at depth. Make sure you and your buddy brief this plan before hand.

It also helps to let the boat crew know you have trouble clearing. They might have a process they like to use but the process described above is typical. It’s not a unique situation. It’s also prudent to do what you can before the dive to make sure your ears are ready to go. This includes hydration and practicing the valsalva (or your preferred) clearing maneuver several days before the dives.

If you can’t get down or miss the reef you can ascend and the captain will pick you up and give you another shot. This is where it helps to let the crew know you might have issues before hand so they can anticipate a re-drop.

@Johnoly and others have some great advice.

Unless there is a raging current I think the easiest thing to do is to follow the flag/float line down from the surface.

This is what I was thinking -- and I appreciate everyone else's thoughts also. I'll probably only have one available day this Spring, so hiring a guide is no big deal for a 2-tank dive, but if I ever had a chance to do a week's worth of diving there, I'd probably want a different solution. Most of my diving is in locations where current is not really a consideration or there is no group guide, so if it takes a little extra time it doesn't really matter, and, on most of my southern boat dives, there are usually newer divers taking a while anyway. The Jupiter folks seem to get underway a little more efficiently.

Quick Jupiter conditions report for the weekend of 1/15/2022.

Saturday was excellent. 80+ feet of visibility on the reef, 77 degree water, and a trickle of North current. The winds picked up late Saturday and through Sunday and I don't think anyone went out Sunday. I managed to get out on one of the only boats going out of Jupiter Inlet on Monday morning. Topside conditions started out marginal with short period 3's that built to 4-5's as the day went on. Under the surface was nice with 60 feet of viz and slightly chillier at 75-76. The Lemon's are out in good numbers at Lemon drop and a handful swam in for a visit on the Wreck Trek. Visibility off Jupiter has been consistently good the past several weeks even with all the wind and cold fronts.

Topside conditions look favorable for diving through Saturday. It looks look another cold front will pass through S. Florida on Sunday morning.

We went to Juno Ledges and the breakers on Thursday, January the 13th and we went to Ana Cecilia wreck on Friday the 14th. On Thursday we had 75 degree water and 80' visibility on Juno ledges. Quite a few Goliath Groupers and one Bull Shark one Reef Shark...3 footers on the first dive and when we surfaced the waves had settled to 1 footers. We all wore 5mm...the water temp was fine...the air temp and wind got all of us cold. The Breakers was the second dive and visibility was reduced to 50-60 feet. Lots and lots of fish with a large nurse shark close to 9+feet that we got to see. Friday conditions worsened, uptop it was windy and cold, seas were 3-5' and visibility down to 50-60' on the Ana Cecelia...Great wreck...some easy penetration and a few resident Goliath Grouper that didn't mind us at all. A couple of great barracuda as well as many regular sized 3-4' sized. There was a beautiful black and dark gray what we think was a cuda at the stern. It didn't look like the typical cuda. We then drifted off that wreck to a broken up wreck down current. There were tons of sealife. Also ran into a nice sized turtle who hung out for around a minute with us and then took off. Overall we had a great time although very chilled on the boat after the first dive and that made the second dive on Friday cold as we were unable to take the chill off...Better half wore a hood on the second dive

We used our light winter coats but they arent wind proof...that was a mistake

We used our light winter coats but they arent wind proof...that was a mistake

Yup. Need something more like these. I don't get on a boat in SFL in the winter without some type of boat coat/parka/poncho.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom