Jupiter Dive Thread

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Quick Jupiter conditions report for Friday 12/10/21.

Conditions were excellent. Topside was 80 degrees, light winds, and calm seas. Bottom temps around 77 at 100 feet. 80 feet of viz south of the inlet and maybe 60 just east of the inlet in 80 feet of water.

Brought home some bugs, lions and yellow jacks. This is about as good as you can get for December. I hope others were able to take advantage of the great conditions.

This is about as good as you can get for December.
Gotta love that kind of a dive report. The inlet camera looked like you could waterski on the ocean!!

I was able to get out yesterday with @CosbySweater on Jupiter Dive Center's 3-tank trip. Weather cooperated for the most part. It has been unseasonably warm (upper 70s-low 80s) which is nice. It rained in the morning but before we loaded and again on our way back in through the inlet but stopped for the most part for the disembarking process. Seas were a bit rougher than I was hoping (2-4 with a few 5s and a decent period) but calmed a bit as the day wore on to end up maybe 2-3 with an even longer period. It was still very manageable and no one was puking so it clearly wasn't THAT bad!

Water temps were right around 78 throughout. The current was respectable. I would call it moderate to strong at times. Viz varied significantly. We did Captain Mike's, North Juno, and Jupiter High Ledge. The worst viz, not surprisingly, was on the High Ledge. Pretty green, lots of particulate, maybe 30' viz on average. The first two sites had better viz and bluer water. Viz was 40-60' at points, a bit less at others.

We saw quite a few turtles, both hawksbill and loggerhead, a number of reef and nurse sharks, some folks saw a lemon or two (I did not), a few goliath grouper, a few nice schools of snapper, a couple of nice looking black grouper, and a nice school of horse eye jack with a few crevalle jack mixed in along with two reef sharks all hanging out together. All the usual tropicals as well. All in all a very nice day!!

Edit: a few short videos posted below.

... some folks saw a lemon or two (I did not), ...
There was an "unconfirmed" sighting of a GDGW yesterday by a Jup Diver, but no picture.
Glad you and @CosbySweater got out in this un-predictable dive weather .

I was able to get out yesterday with @CosbySweater on Jupiter Dive Center's 3-tank trip. Weather cooperated for the most part. It has been unseasonably warm (upper 70s-low 80s) which is nice. It rained in the morning but before we loaded and again on our way back in through the inlet but stopped for the most part for the disembarking process. Seas were a bit rougher than I was hoping (2-4 with a few 5s and a decent period) but calmed a bit as the day wore on to end up maybe 2-3 with an even longer period. It was still very manageable and no one was puking so it clearly wasn't THAT bad!

Water temps were right around 78 throughout. The current was respectable. I would call it moderate to strong at times. Viz varied significantly. We did Captain Mike's, North Juno, and Jupiter High Ledge. The worst viz, not surprisingly, was on the High Ledge. Pretty green, lots of particulate, maybe 30' viz on average. The first two sites had better viz and bluer water. Viz was 40-60' at points, a bit less at others.

We saw quite a few turtles, both hawksbill and loggerhead, a number of reef and nurse sharks, some folks saw a lemon or two (I did not), a few goliath grouper, a few nice schools of snapper, a couple of nice looking black grouper, and a nice school of horse eye jack with a few crevalle jack mixed in along with two reef sharks all hanging out together. All the usual tropicals as well. All in all a very nice day!!

I'll post some videos or pics later this week. Too busy today to get to it.

Several big cuda's on the deeper sites, too. Overall it was a good day!

There was an "unconfirmed" sighting of a GDGW yesterday by a Jup Diver, but no picture.
Glad you and @CosbySweater got out in this un-predictable dive weather .

Apparently there was video, but the quality wasn't good enough to see more than a shadow. While I'm definitely in the "show me the pics" camp, my first tiger shark sighting in Jupiter was like that - I was tagging along with some spearfishers, saw it swimming away, and fumbled for the "on" button. The one still photo I got was a distant silhouette.

White shark sightings off Jupiter seem to primarily be cases of northbound divers passing a southbound shark that doesn't stop to say hi, even if you try saying "pspspsps" into your regulator.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom