Jupiter Dive Thread

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Is this the Brian married to Janine who works for Kyalami? I love Janine. She's one of the best dive guides around. If so I hear he is a fantastic captain!
YES!
Capt Brian has been on the JUP & WPB waters for almost 25 years. He's driven for Abernathy, Narcosis, Kaylami, JDC and a bunch of others. Whether it is neat stuff to See or Seas at 7ft surfing a big boat into the inlet>>>>He's the one you want at the wheel.

I made it out for a two tank morning trip with JDC this morning.

Sites: Area 51 and Tunnels
Wind and waves: SE 10-15, waves ~2x’
Water temp: 81
Current: Mild N on Area 51, Moderate NE on Tunnels.
Viz: 40-50’
Sightings and notes: Hazy, overcast skies made for a darker than normal dive this morning. Visibility was decent but not great. Lots of purple weedy growth floating around. Any idea what that growth is called? Saw a few loggerheads, two green sea turtles which was a nice treat, a couple Goliath, some reefies, and a mantis shrimp. I spent most of the first dive Area 51 exploring the top of the reef to east of the ledge. Lots of good structural variety up there with lots of holes, small ledges, and blow outs to look in.

No good pics today. The one below is from last week. It’s a hungry hawksbill turtle that I swam around with for several minutes. He was jumping around munching on sponges and tunicates.

Headed back out tomorrow with Pura Vida to hopefully hit the Corridor.

6B818D03-37C7-4BE4-9175-851406D50B8E.jpeg

Quick conditions report for Palm Beach for anyone who is diving this afternoon or tomorrow. I dove with PV this morning on Governor’s River Walk and the Corridor. Water temp was 77-78, mild South current, visability was 20 feet with green water. Lots of life, several big Goliath, one small bull, and all the usual reef critters. Not a terrible dive but that’s the worst the viz has been for me since moving here in October (~95 dives).

Curious how @scubadada dives were today.

... Not a terrible dive but that’s the worst the viz has been for me since moving here in October (~95 dives).

Not common but it does happen once in a while....
For me, its been in summer months, perhaps due to rain runoff.

On one 20 ft viz dive in WPB I was next to a school of reef squid.
I've also found that maybe because the marine life also can't see in low viz, these dives are usually full of life
Or maybe just a coincidence..

I've also found that maybe because the marine life also can't see in low viz, these dives are usually full of life
Or maybe just a coincidence..

I saw more big Goliath (300 lb+) on the Ana C and Mizpah this morning than I’ve seen in the 5 previous times I’ve dove it. Several good lion fish too. Wish I brought my spear…

Quick conditions report for Palm Beach for anyone who is diving this afternoon or tomorrow. I dove with PV this morning on Governor’s River Walk and the Corridor. Water temp was 77-78, mild South current, visability was 20 feet with green water. Lots of life, several big Goliath, one small bull, and all the usual reef critters. Not a terrible dive but that’s the worst the viz has been for me since moving here in October (~95 dives).

Yup, every rainy season we have days like that. I believe it is tied to the location of heavy rains along with the tides. I've seen 10-20' of green water occasionally every rainy season. Thankfully it is transient and doesn't tend to last long.

Wait until you experience the first tropical system (depression, storm or hurricane) blow through. Irma shut down diving for weeks. Zero viz for over a week if I remember that slowly settled or was washed away. Irma hit us on 9/10/17 and my first dive after was on 9/30/17. It was off of Pompano Beach and we saw this on the way out. They had left this yacht tied up right by their home. Irma wasn't very nice to it.

IMG_0033.JPG
IMG_0034.JPG
IMG_0032.JPG

YES!
Capt Brian has been on the JUP & WPB waters for almost 25 years. He's driven for Abernathy, Narcosis, Kaylami, JDC and a bunch of others. Whether it is neat stuff to See or Seas at 7ft surfing a big boat into the inlet>>>>He's the one you want at the wheel.
Captain Brian taught me the Jupiter inlet and thanks to his knowledge I feel safe when navigating it it even in unfriendly weather.

Quick far south Jupiter conditions report for today Jun29 especially for @jeffsky29 because he's diving with my friends tomorrow. 74 degrees and almost zero current in 90 feet deep, slight 2° warmup thermocline at 70 ft. All the rain is giving the water a hazy and shadowy feel on the bottom. The seas three footers as predicted and not terrible. I'm sorry I'm not on the boat with you, but you will learn ALOT!!

John, greatly appreciate the report, and from Steve as well! While I did not join the dive today, I truly hope the conditions greatly improved! I just don't want to hear how great the conditions were :)

I lost a nice BigBlue dive light on Scarface/Jupiter High Ledge today. If anyone finds it I have a 6-pack of your choosing waiting for you. The light has my name on it (you can message me on FB if you find it).

Pretty decent conditions off Jupiter today. Seas were flat!

Sites: Spadefish Point and Scarface/Jupiter High Ledge
Wind and waves: Variable 5-10, waves ~1’
Water Temp: 79
Current: Light/moderate North
Viz: 30-40
Sightings and notes: Visabily wasn’t terrible. Once you got through the first 30’ or so of the water column it opened up. Probably 30-40 feet on average. Water temp was nice and warm. Saw several loggerheads and two hawksbills. Cleaned up several pieces of fishing gear off the reef and at some point while I was putting it all in to my pocket my light and reef hook fell out. Pretty bummed but maybe someone will find it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom