Jupiter Dive Thread

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No kidding? Last time we were diving 5 mm's was in Byron Bay in 68 F water. Even my wife was fine and she gets cold easily.
Good for you. The older I get, the less tolerant of being cold I have become. Doing 2 or 3 or 4 leisurely hour drift dives in SE FL can get me quite cool. I have a 3, 5, and 7 mm full suit down here, and dive them all every year. The water temp varies from the high 60s, low 70s to the mid 80s. Not sure where home is for you, I have over 1100 dives here in Boynton Beach, Jupiter, and West Palm. I am often the only warm diver on the boat, of course I have a good boat coat also. I so hate seeing people shiver. I often have an extra jacket to loan them, they are generally quite grateful.

Good for you. The older I get, the less tolerant of being cold I have become. Doing 2 or 3 or 4 leisurely hour drift dives in SE FL can get me quite cool. I have a 3, 5, and 7 mm full suit down here, and dive them all every year. The water temp varies from the high 60s, low 70s to the mid 80s. Not sure where home is for you, I have over 1100 dives here in Boynton Beach, Jupiter, and West Palm. I am often the only warm diver on the boat, of course I have a good boat coat also. I so hate seeing people shiver. I often have an extra jacket to loan them, they are generally quite grateful.
Last Wednesday off Boynton I was fine in full size 3 mm in 77-78 F. I guess, the worst is to come :)

You don’t have to be old to hate the cold! Ive been diving a 5mm + a 3-5 hood since Late December. Once the water hits 79-80 I’ll transition to a 3mm with a lavacore shirt. I say this all the time to fellow divers - it’s really hard to be too warm underwater. Topside is a different story but we don’t buy wetsuits to wear them topside. Wear what keeps you comfortable underwater.

We keep missing each other. I’m Saturday AM with JDC and Sunday PM with PV. One of these days we’ll sync up.

You’d almost think we were trying to avoid each other. I’m in Palm Beach/you’re in Jupiter, I’m in Jupiter/you’re in Palm Beach, I’m on the shallow boat/you’re on the deep boat. Too funny!!!

At some point someone on this thread or another in the Florida forum (can’t find the original post) asked where the Loran Towers area is. The Loran Towers area is a site known for sawfish sightings. I knew it was North of Jupiter Inlet but I finally found it on a chart.

F5B0A7E1-1C32-4214-BE0C-9912EA40FE5C.jpeg

I did a morning and afternoon trip from Jupiter today with JDC. Seas were 1-2 with a light breeze out of the SW. It was a beautiful day out in the water.

Morning dives:
Scarface and Loggerhead
Temp: 76
Current: Mild/strong N
Viz: 50
Sightings: A few reef Sharks, a loggerhead, and a Goliath.

Afternoon dives:
Bluffs and Captain Kirle’s
Temp: 76
Current: Mild N
Viz: 60
Sighting: More reef Sharks and another male loggerhead. The afternoon dives were reef clean up dives so I spent most of my time cutting fishing line and searching for trash.

I don’t have any good pictures to share today unfortunately.

I made it out on Saturday morning and afternoon with Pura Vida. Conditions were excellent! Almost no wind, 1 foot seas, and a comfortable North current. it was a great day for diving!

Morning dives:
Governor's River Walk and the Corridor
Temp: 76/77
Current: Mild/moderate North
Viz: 60. I had to get through a ~20' layer of haziness near the surface before the viz opened up.
Sightings: Big green morays, nurse sharks, and a mystery shark off in the distance. I also saw a friendly goliath inside the Ana C. I followed it down in to the starboard side hold. It was a cool experience being down in the hold with him. He seemed a little uncomfortable that I followed him down there. He positioned himself head up in the corner as if he didn't want me to see him. I didn't force the encounter and gave him plenty of space to swim out of the hold if he wanted to. After a few moments he returned to his perfectly horizontal trim and we enjoyed our time together. Rumor has it there is an octopus on the stern of the Ana Cecelia. I haven't found it yet but I always spend a couple minutes looking when I dive it. There's a nice big lobster under the port side stern of the Ana C., too. I'm sure it's happy that it's safe for another 3 months.

Afternoon dives:
North Double Ledge and the Corridor
Temp: 76/77
Current: Mild/moderate North
Viz: 50-60
Sightings: Several bull sharks on North Double Ledge. Also a Lemon Shark sighting. On the Corridor I saw more goliath (including the one pictured below).

Goliath.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom