Jupiter Dive Thread

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Afternoon dives today were definitely sporty. Winds out of the northwest at 10-15 building to 20 by late afternoon. Seas leaving the inlet around 1330 weren’t terrible. Mostly short period 2-4 footers. The surface interval was tolerable but by the end of the second dive seas had built to 4-6. It definitely made getting on the boat a challenge. Several divers got sick on the boat.

The diving itself was good. Visibility at Kirle’s and Tunnels was around 40 feet. Temp was 74. Just the slightest touch of NE current. Saw several big southern rays, a hawksbill, a few reef sharks, and a lemon shark that hung around us at Tunnels for 20+ min. I got several good photos of the above that I’ll share once I offload them from the GoPro.

This was my first dive with Scubaworks on the Divocean. The crew was top notch. I’ll dive with them again just for the quality of the crew alone. They run a 36’ Newton which is a great dive platform. The boat feels crowded with a full load though (which is 16). Check in is easy but requires you to drop your gear off and then fight to find parking in the adjacent public lot. The only thing I really don’t like about Scubaworks is that the ladders on Divocean have closed rungs which requires you to take your fins off on the ladder. It’s not the easiest thing to do in big seas. When drift diving, it’s much easier to climb the ladder with your fins on, IMO. Another thing to note about Scubaworks is that they will sometimes run charters when other operators have canceled due to weather (as was the case today).

A couple photos from yesterday’s trip.
8879F0CF-4489-4447-8267-9B108562A313.jpeg
EC6B128A-6B4D-41FC-AC8E-0BD942BC8DBC.jpeg
832D9F0F-3E8C-4ABE-8370-FFB7D47EB26C.jpeg
E36280E8-9A0F-4DA5-AB08-5207F67E6B93.jpeg

Afternoon dives today were definitely sporty. Winds out of the northwest at 10-15 building to 20 by late afternoon. Seas leaving the inlet around 1330 weren’t terrible. Mostly short period 2-4 footers. The surface interval was tolerable but by the end of the second dive seas had built to 4-6. It definitely made getting on the boat a challenge. Several divers got sick on the boat.

The diving itself was good. Visibility at Kirle’s and Tunnels was around 40 feet. Temp was 74. Just the slightest touch of NE current. Saw several big southern rays, a hawksbill, a few reef sharks, and a lemon shark that hung around us at Tunnels for 20+ min. I got several good photos of the above that I’ll share once I offload them from the GoPro.

This was my first dive with Scubaworks on the Divocean. The crew was top notch. I’ll dive with them again just for the quality of the crew alone. They run a 36’ Newton which is a great dive platform. The boat feels crowded with a full load though (which is 16). Check in is easy but requires you to drop your gear off and then fight to find parking in the adjacent public lot. The only thing I really don’t like about Scubaworks is that the ladders on Divocean have closed rungs which requires you to take your fins off on the ladder. It’s not the easiest thing to do in big seas. When drift diving, it’s much easier to climb the ladder with your fins on, IMO. Another thing to note about Scubaworks is that they will sometimes run charters when other operators have canceled due to weather (as was the case today).

Thanks for the report and photos, even though topside was bumpy sounds like awesome dives around Jupiter/ WPB recently judging from all recent reports.

I made it out with Pura Vida on Saturday morning and Sunday afternoon for some wreck diving. Saturday's conditions we're quite nice. Light winds out of the South, seas 1'-2', a brisk North current, and water temps around 75. We started the morning on North Double Ledge. Visibility was at least 80'. Saw all the usual reef critters and a Bull Shark that stalked us for 10-15 minutes. The next drop was on Governor's River Walk which is a series of wrecks and rock piles that have been broken up over the last several years from the hurricanes. Lots of life around these wrecks. We saw several Bull Sharks and Goliath grouper. Visibility was a little bit less, maybe 70'.

Sunday's conditions were a bit sportier. Winds picked up but stayed out of the South so topside conditions weren't terrible, but it was pretty lumpy (2'-3'). Water temp was 75. We hit Governor's River Walk again and the Corridor. We had 3-4 Bulls follow us through the entirety of the dive on GRW. Got lots of footage I need to parse through. The Corridor is one of my favorite sites down here. The Anna Cecelia is such a fun wreck. Lots of fun swim throughs and lots of marine life to watch. We saw more Bull Sharks, a nurse, a CRS pup, and some more Goliath. The current was moving on this dive and we drifted all the way through Brazilian Docks in 40 minutes. Visibility on Sunday was around 70'.

I'm a big fan of Pura Vida. The crew is excellent and the boats a newer and spacious. Marin is a 36 Newton and Aurelia is a 46 Newton. Both are great boats. I'll be diving with them more frequently in the future.

I went out with JDC Sat AM and PM (Lemon Drop/Scarface and Wreck Trek/Loggerhead) and Pura Vida Sun PM (Breakers Tear Drop to Ron's Rock and Elevator Shaft to 4th Window). Looks like we just missed each other @CosbySweater.

I went out with JDC Sat AM and PM (Lemon Drop/Scarface and Wreck Trek/Loggerhead) and Pura Vida Sun PM (Breakers Tear Drop to Ron's Rock and Elevator Shaft to 4th Window). Looks like we just missed each other @CosbySweater.

Dang we literally just missed each other. You must have been on the Aurelia on Sun PM?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom