JJ vs Cmoptima vs Xccr(fx)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sebdiver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hi all new here,
foudn this from the Rebreather forum!,

My question might trigger some of you but, which one will you go for? I tried 2 of the 4 liste above and can't decide which one I like.
In your opinion which one make the most sense, which one do you prefer, the sturdiest one? All instructor are close by max 4h around here.

JJ?
Xccr was good
CMoptima feel a bit snug on the chest im not tall
FXCCR new to the market!

Hi all new here,
foudn this from the Rebreather forum!,

My question might trigger some of you but, which one will you go for? I tried 2 of the 4 liste above and can't decide which one I like.
In your opinion which one make the most sense, which one do you prefer, the sturdiest one? All instructor are close by max 4h around here.

JJ?
Xccr was good
CMoptima feel a bit snug on the chest im not tall
FXCCR new to the market!

Well you have some very very very different units your trying to compare.

JJ and XCCR are in one category and the Choptima and FX are on the completely other end of the spectrum. This is like trying to compare a Ford Focus to an F-350, yeah they are both vehicles and they both will get you from point A to point B but you just can't compare them past that. You need to decide what you need out of your rebreather just like if you were shopping for a Focus or F-350, they are built for very different application.

But between the JJ and XCCR these are basically the gold standard for back mounted single canister scrubber traditional configuration ECCR's rebreathers on the market. You can not go wrong with either of them. These are your true expedition you can take them to 200m+ 4x4 SUV of the rebreather world. They are big, they are heavy, you can get crazy long run times on the, you can configure them in all different styles, they are clunky yet very durable, you just strap them on and go, no BS solid built reliable machines.

Now for the chest mounted units I have never been a fan of the Choptima. I have some friends that dive them and to me if you buying a chest mounted unit your buying it for is small size, portability, and streamline for an overhead diving environment but the Choptima IMO is HUGE for a chest mounted unit. If you look at all the other units on the market they are much smaller. The loop setup on the Choptima is not ideal either the way the loops come out of the unit makes you have a huge "mustache" loop.
The FXCCR is a very very nice unit this would be first prize for the chest mounted units but I have heard great things about the Halcyon unit so personally if you were in the market for a chest mounted unit I would look at those two and throw the Choptima out. For reference I have a Triton but if I had to do it all over again I would have gone the FXCCR route.

I dive a JJ. It's been great so far, but it's heavy and bulky. Not easy to travel with and (cave/wreck) restrictions are not always easy to manage. The JJ is most suited for open water imho, but you can do restrictions witin reason. Have not tried any other rebreathers yet, so I can't tell you the benefits and drawbacks of other units.

As GF99/99 stated, a chest mount rebreather is something completely different. Buddy of mine dives with a Triton chest mounted rebreather in sidemount config. The benefit of a chest mounted ccr is defininately it's size and flexibility. The downside is that some units have depth limitations and less scrubber time. Also gearing up is more complicated than slapping on a back mount unit. Don't know for sure if a chest mounted rebreather is the best solution for boat diving?

So, what you choose depends mostly on what exactly you want to use it for. If I would do it all over again, I might go for the FXCCR because my requiremnents have changed since I bought the JJ. Not because the JJ is no good, it is but it's bulky and heavy.

The FXCCR is a very very nice unit this would be first prize for the chest mounted units but I have heard great things about the Halcyon unit so personally if you were in the market for a chest mounted unit I would look at those two and throw the Choptima out. For reference I have a Triton but if I had to do it all over again I would have gone the FXCCR route.
What makes you say this about the Triton? Just curious.

I have a JJ and Triton. Bought the JJ first. Both do very different things.

I’d say go for the JJ if it’s size does not impinge upon the type of diving you will do and it’s mass doesn’t create a logistical ball-ache.

I have a JJ. You can’t go wrong with a JJ or XCCR as your first unit, especially for open water diving. From what a I heard, XCCR is somewhat less efficient with gas but it has extra posh features compared to JJ that make me jealous, such as easy to remove block with cells for drying. On the other hand JJ is a simple, easy to clean, easy to fix no nonsense 4x4.

I have a JJ. You can’t go wrong with a JJ or XCCR as your first unit, especially for open water diving. From what a I heard, XCCR is somewhat less efficient with gas but it has extra posh features compared to JJ that make me jealous, such as easy to remove block with cells for drying. On the other hand JJ is a simple, easy to clean, easy to fix no nonsense 4x4.
Is the CO2 sensor on the X reliable or its finicky.

Heading off some insinuated FUD here.

JJ takes 2.3 kg of sorb:

Choptima, like its BM brethren , takes 2.2kg of sorb:

There are no good CO2 sensors for rebreathers at this time. There are some. some people even have good luck with them. But in general, they are finicky.

Back
Top Bottom