Jet Fin Spring Straps- Resurrected

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wayward Son:
So far it looks like my biggest problem is finding a drill press to use. So far all of my usual connections have struck out.

I've got the same problem. I'd thought of just doing it with a hand drill. It's not like I don't have anough delrin rod to work with in case of errors (5' minimum purchase :D)

Never work! You may know that I have tried it... The big challenge is the side 1/2 inch drill. And, I don't thinkg it is worth to do with a hand drill at home. Just find any local shop that can do it for you. I know it is a DIY forum though. It is too much PITA without a right equipment.:06:

Wayward Son:
I'm also considering trying it with a handheld drill. Might be able to do a clean enough job, dunno. I bought 2' of rod so I can afford to muck up a bit.

I've been trying to come up with something simple I can rig for a jig to serve as a guide for the bit for that hole, as I agree that I expect it to be the more difficult to get clean. If I can come up with some PVC or something that I can rig up, I might be able to clamp it all together in a vise & do a decent job on it.

I live in a real small town. Not many options for getting stuff done. If I end up having to drive too far & pay to get something done, it approaches the cost of buying a press. Which I'd like to have, but really don't need bad enough to spend the money on. Isn't that fun? Make my own spring straps, in part bc I can do it $17 cheaper than I can buy them, but I need to buy a $100 tool in order to do it...

Hoosier, great close ups of the rod.

Wayward, you can buy a 10" drill press from Home Depot for around $80. You'll use that thing more than you think. Chuck a drum attachment in the jaws and you've got a precision drum sander, too. One of the most versatile tools to have in the shop. Precision holes in any project make a huge difference in the end product. Sorry, just had to help you justify the purchase.....

WD

Not a certainty yet, but there is a possibility of a drill press. If so, I should be able to make the blocks this weekend. I bought 2 12" rods, and if there is a press, I'm going to make as many block sets as possible while I have access to it.

Debating on whether to cover the springs or not. I know people who use them without any cover, but I don't know anyone who has covered springs. I may just leave them bare & try it for a while, I can always add something over them later if I want.

Unfortunatley, I had no luck find stainless steel rods for use in connecting to the Jet Fins. McMaster-Carr does sell them. A 1 pound pack (about 8 rods) of 1/8" SS welding rods is part #7972A284, cost $12.11, in case anyone is looking for some.

It also turns out the next spring length down is too short for her hins, so I'll just have to buy more 11" springs and cut them.

Wayward Son:
Unfortunatley, I had no luck find stainless steel rods for use in connecting to the Jet Fins.
I found brass rods for lamp repair sold as singles at the local Home Depot for about 2.00. Worked great on mine! So far, about 80 dives on these new ones.

That's a thought. I did buy a steel 1/8 rod at Home Depot saturday, but it's not stainless. I figure if I get the blocks made I can use this to get them hooked up, but will need to replace them due to corrosion.

I expected my wife's fins to pose more of a problem for attaching springs than the Jets, but it's actually turned out hers are easier. I don't have to make any blocks, those anchor shackles are a super simple & easy solution. I just have to buy 2 more springs.

Back
Top Bottom