Jet Fin Spring Straps- Resurrected

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wayward Son:
Unfortunatley, I had no luck find stainless steel rods for use in connecting to the Jet Fins. McMaster-Carr does sell them. A 1 pound pack (about 8 rods) of 1/8" SS welding rods is part #7972A284, cost $12.11, in case anyone is looking for some.

It also turns out the next spring length down is too short for her hins, so I'll just have to buy more 11" springs and cut them.
A cheap source of stainless steel rod is to get a length of SS antennae from an old junked car.

Wayward,
If you've got a local welding/machine shop close by, drop in and they'll probably give you a few SS welding sticks if you tell them about your project. You could get a funny look, too though. I went with the SS bolt/SS strips due to the ease of assembly and disassembly. I never could get the welding rod bent "just right". Buying replacement buckles and going that route looks to work great, too. Read this whole thread for some great pictures and examples.

WD

I try to get the fin buckle from the company today. I was told that they can't sell the item to a normal customer. I have to get through the dealer, dive shop. I am wondering how much my greedy LDS charge for $2 piece. It might be $4~$5....

willydiver:
Wayward,
Buying replacement buckles and going that route looks to work great, too. Read this whole thread for some great pictures and examples.

WD

hoosier:
I try to get the fin buckle from the company today. I was told that they can't sell the item to a normal customer. I have to get through the dealer, dive shop. I am wondering how much my greedy LDS charge for $2 piece. It might be $4~$5....

Hoosier, http://www.diverssupplyusa.com/ sells the buckles as an accessory, but you are correct about the price. I think they sell them at the Jacksonville, FL store for ~$5/each.

WD

BTW, McMaster-Carr doesn't just have the springs. They also stock the delrin rods. Not only do they have seriously cheaper shipping than the other place, the per foot price is less than half. Stock # 8497K271, cost $1.89 per ft (I paid $4.13 per ft at onlinemetals), sold in 4 ft lengths.

They also have clear tubing, looks like the best fit might be 9/16 ID, 3/4 OD.

Stainless welding rods as well, even 3/16" anchor bolt shackles if you're doing post type fins.

Makes sense to save shipping, get as much as you can from one source.

Even after making 12 derline rods, I still have 46 inch raw delrin rods because it is only sold in 4 ft. LOL~~~~.

willydiver:
Hoosier, http://www.diverssupplyusa.com/ sells the buckles as an accessory, but you are correct about the price. I think they sell them at the Jacksonville, FL store for ~$5/each.
WD

Thanks for you info. But, I am sure any LDSs want to sell it to me if I pay $5 per buckle. Wow~~~~~ Great margin........

So, WD How do you think? Is it worth to try a bucke configuration or move to SS rods? I know Halcyon uses a buckle set up for their spring straps. At least, DIR can't argue about a failure point on that.... LOL~~~

I went stainless all the way. Here are 2 types I've made, my Jet fins and my wife's Blades:

jetfinished.jpg

bladefinished.jpg

bladeside.jpg

I'm working on a method to handle Atomic Slipt fins now.

I think the Atomic rig is gonna be really nice. I should get a set made this weekend, will post pics once they're done.

One thing on it will be temporary. I'm going to use a pressed rod to trap the springs for now, bc I don't yet have the threaded inserts & machine screws that I'll end up using for a perm fix. It's going to be a couple of weeks before I can get them, so I'll just use a stainless steel rod for now.

Wayward Son:
I went stainless all the way. Here are 2 types I've made, my Jet fins and my wife's Blades:

Wayward, I am really looking forward to the Atomic Springs you are cooking up. My wife has those blades as well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom