Jet Fin Spring Straps- Resurrected

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here is my "H" spring strap.
DSCN1864.JPG

The upper one is made of the old fin buckle, the lower one has a new fin buckles from Global Manufacturing....

I also resurrected some original fin buckles.
DSCN1866.JPG

As you see, it was so hard to reuse the old buckle in the right shape.

DSCN1869.JPG

Hossier, Great design! How did you get a new post on the old buckle? Riveted on? Also, what size is that delrin (I think) rod? 1/2 in?

No... The old one is the genuine one set including the pin (post). There was no new part at all. I took out eight buckles from two sets of jet fin. I could use six buckles. Two buckles were pretty bad shaped.... I had 16 new buckles though....

The delrin rod is 3/4" diameter (part number 8576k18) from McMaster....

DiveGolfSki:
Hossier, Great design! How did you get a new post on the old buckle? Riveted on? Also, what size is that delrin (I think) rod? 1/2 in?

hoosier:
No... The old one is the genuine one set including the pin (post). There was no new part at all. I took out eight buckles from two sets of jet fin. I could use six buckles. Two buckles were pretty bad shaped.... I had 16 new buckles though....

The delrin rod is 3/4" diameter (part number 8576k18) from McMaster....

How did you get the rod on the pin (post)? Did you first cut the pin off and rethread into the rod? If so how do secure it on the buckle?

The original buckles are super easy to get off without destroying them. Just use a screw driver, pry up gently near the pin. It'll pop off, just move it to the side of the pin & do the same for the other side.

Are you sure it is super easy to get off? It was super PITA to me as you can see my last picture.

Wayward Son:
The original buckles are super easy to get off without destroying them. Just use a screw driver, pry up gently near the pin. It'll pop off, just move it to the side of the pin & do the same for the other side.

Wayward Son:

I'll try that but what to do next ... pop them back on after threading the rod through? Does it stay put or did you have to expand the pin?

Sorry.. I missed your post before... bad eyes... :)

No cut at all. If you cut it, you have to buy the new buckle.... They don't sell the pin seperately....

So, you have to save the fin and buckle together. Even though you rethread it, it is pretty solid becuase the buckle is solid materails. Only you need to clamp together between upper and lower of buckle after rethreading the pin... If the buckle isn't solid, why I said it is pita to get off the buckle...:05: Very solid.....

DiveGolfSki:
How did you get the rod on the pin (post)? Did you first cut the pin off and rethread into the rod? If so how do secure it on the buckle?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom