Jet Fin Spring Straps- Resurrected

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

willydiver

Reaction score
Finished my second iteration of the spring strap saga for my Jet fins. My first model used the hockey puck blocks. It looked good but I just never was happy with the bulky appearance. So I scavenged the "store-bought" idea a little and made another attachment method. I tried the 1/8" SS welding rod trick but never could get the bends square, especially on the attachment squeeze. So, I made some small straps out of 1/16" thick SS and assembled the whole thing tightly together with SS bolts. I've still got to trim off the excess bolt below the nylock nuts. Disassembly is a snap for changing spring length or whatever, unlike the "one-time" welding rod squeeze method. I used 3/4" delrin rod for the blocks. Ordered from onlinemetals.com for about $2.50/foot. I'm very happy with the simplified and compact results. On a side note, if I hadn't already cut off the original strap buckles, I would have liked to try a design like mdolson or el-ninio came up with. The halcyon model is nice, too. But I know these pups will hold fast.

WD

Thanks for the nice words Crestgel. I cut up some large SS fender washers for the the stainless straps. Also, I've found that the kitchen section in your local dollar store or Walmart is a great place to find usable stainless material. Look for cheap SS spatulas as they are usually around 1/16" thick.

WD

willydiver:
Thanks for the nice words Crestgel. I cut up some large SS fender washers for the the stainless straps. Also, I've found that the kitchen section in your local dollar store or Walmart is a great place to find usable stainless material. Look for cheap SS spatulas as they are usually around 1/16" thick.

WD

Those are very nice. Mine are simply hooked onto the existing strap hardware and then tied on with nylon line. Very unprofessional compared to the beauts you turned out!

willydiver,

Good tip on getting delrin rods at onlinemetals.com. These guys will pre-cut the rods for you too!

Regarding the attachment point. I'd special ordered the original metal buckle and pin assembly, and attach them backwards (the U-shaped buckle goes through fin, the pin goes through the rod). It's hard to see, but I have a picture of my Jet Fin setup this way.

FukuGear

Ya, you would think I work for them the way I recommend their website, but they're a great source for small (or large) quantities of hard to get materials. Nice looking gear setup.

If anybody is looking for a source for the original equipment nickel plated brass buckles that come on the Scubapro Jets, go to www.divers-supply.com . If not on their website, call them up. They carry them in their stores for about $4.50/each. I saw them in the Jacksonville, FL store.

WD

I really like the look of those fins. I have had my self made spring straps sitting in my garage for months because I haven't wanted to deal with bending the welding rod to attach the springs to the fins. Now your design has me thinking.....

hex92:
I really like the look of those fins. I have had my self made spring straps sitting in my garage for months because I haven't wanted to deal with bending the welding rod to attach the springs to the fins. Now your design has me thinking.....

you can use the original hardware *as is* and add a delrin block over it. I've placed plans and pictures of my setup here in the past - I've used mine for probably 150 dives, and have no complaint. It's easy to make (cut a rectangle block, drill a hole on one face, and cut a slit acros the same face - and posibally trim an edge for easy fit). all in all it takes less then an hour to make all 4 blocks, and it looks (and is) very proffesional.

see the information here:
http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=35213

see also http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=39227&page=11&pp=10
but don't cut the moving part of the original hardware. it holds the blocks in place, and saves you the hassle of adding the scrows

Global Manufacturing Corporation used to make knock-offs of the Jet Fin buckle assemblies for about $2.00 each. I don't see this item listed on their site, does anyone know if they still make this part?

ifukuda:
Global Manufacturing Corporation used to make knock-offs of the Jet Fin buckle assemblies for about $2.00 each. I don't see this item listed on their site, does anyone know if they still make this part?

Those are probably the aftermarket brand of buckles that Divers Supply (Jacksonville, FL) carries. They have them in a "cookie jar" beside the cash register along with other accessory nick nacks. Hefty price at around $5 each in the store. You're looking at $20 bucks to bring your Jets back to "pre-cut" status.

WD

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom