Jet Fin Spring Straps- Resurrected

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nativenarcosis:
I have a question on everyone's usage for the 'cave line'. Instead of using the nylon line I used stainless steel cable crimped with lead fasteners. Overkill? probably

I was going to try the SS leader and crimps, too. I went with the nylon line because it seemed to retract back into the springs during contraction better (if that makes any sense). I may have been using to heavy/stiff of leader cable, though.

I actually used "parachute cord" available at any Army/Navy surplus store. Be sure and glue all knots because the cord can swell when wet and loosen over time.

WD

Take it from someone who's been there. I've probably hand-made more spring straps than all of you put together. :) (Just poking fun, relax.)

Anyway - the problem with leader line is that it tends to form a sharp angle where it loops around the buckle end. Over time, as the cord frays, the pieces tend to break off at the 'kink' and fray, leaving tiny but very sharp bits of leader line to catch your finger, drysuit material or anything else. Something soft and pliable is better.

It's not there to permanently arrest an overstretch - just give enough resistance that you know to stop pulling.

There I was. In Bass Pro/Outdoor World, staring at a roll of tubular nylon in the camping section. My DIY mind just salivating at the thought of ANOTHER modification to my spring straps. Had to do it, so here's the result. Pretty much the same as the Halcyon method. I used 11" springs, 17" parachute cord overstretch restrictors, and 19" of black tubular nylon webbing for each strap. I singed the nylon ends with a torch and dipped them in epoxy to prevent fraying. I don't think these are as durable as the 1/2" clear PVC tubing, but they are alot softer. Haven't been on a test run, yet.

WD

willydiver:
There I was. In Bass Pro/Outdoor World, staring at a roll of tubular nylon in the camping section. My DIY mind just salivating at the thought of ANOTHER modification to my spring straps. Had to do it, so here's the result. Pretty much the same as the Halcyon method. I used 11" springs, 17" parachute cord overstretch restrictors, and 19" of black tubular nylon webbing for each strap. I singed the nylon ends with a torch and dipped them in epoxy to prevent fraying. I don't think these are as durable as the 1/2" clear PVC tubing, but they are alot softer. Haven't been on a test run, yet.

WD
I've never made my own straps, but I just ordered a new pair, because I got new drysuit boots, and my Halcyon straps are too big for them.

First thing I did after pulling the old straps off was swap the tubing on the new straps with the nylon from the old ones. That stuff is so much more comfortable.

2005 scubapro jet fins come stock with spring straps

Scubapro sells the straps as an accessory.

Mark

willydiver:

WD
I'm very interested in how you build these...especially the connection from spings to fins. Any chance I can get some details?

Thanks,
Randy Kight

Back
Top Bottom