Jet Fin Spring Straps- Resurrected

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

grunzster:
Thanks. I've actually made about 3 or 4 different versions now. These were the second ones I made. The wire I use Is a little thinner than what most manufacturers are using. It really Isn't too hard to bend, but still very strong (not a chance it will come free).

I ordered a pair on ebay a few months ago, before I realized how simple they are to build, and started making my own, and the wire on that pair was a huge PITA to bend.

The ones I'm using now actually use the SS plate and screw method for attaching.

have you tryed to use the original jetfin hardware? you may be able to do so by taking a block like the one you made, and cuting, using a sharp knife, from the top (where the spring comes into the block) to the hole you now use for the wire. If the material is stiff enough, once you pass the wire and it ends up in it's drilled hole, the two sides would close up nicelly. You will need to first put the spring on the hardware "frame", move the frame so the moving bar can be placed into the "ear", and then slide the block over the spring and frame, and turn it so it faces the right direction (see pictues of my delrin version some pages back). the small moving bar locks the blocks into place, and prevents any chance of the blocks sliping off.

(I really have no idea how hard the hockey pucks really are, we tend to have very little ice here - so what i'm suggesting may be not problematic. so don't try this with your nicest blocks. But if it works, you save all the truble with the wire + you get a much nicer looking finish (and you can always remove the springs and sell the fins on ebay with rubber strups if you need to switch to other jetfins))

LOL, are you kidding? It doesn't look like DIY product.. It is awesome.

grunzster:
Here's mine...or atr least an earlier version of mine.
Also using hockey pucks.

springsb.jpg

hoosier:
LOL, are you kidding? It doesn't look like DIY product.. It is awesome.
Thanks!

Digital SLR + Good Lens + Lay things out in a way that they will photograph well, and taking shots from an interesting angel + Photoshop = pretty good product shots

Here's the latest ones
gsprings1.jpg

gsprings2.jpg

el-ninio:
seems my english is failing me. I just can't parse that sentence. should that "one" be a "gone"?
Duh...that's my great typing. Please...we want spell check on this board!

I have NO experience with spring straps. I love my SP fins but have found them to be a pita to get on and off. Are the spring really that much better? If so Ill jump at a set if it will make my life a little easier!!

Moreover, the SP buckles are easily broken and scratched. Based on my experience, even though SP Twin Jet fin comes with the life time warranty, it is always PITA to get the replacement.

dbg40:
I have NO experience with spring straps. I love my SP fins but have found them to be a pita to get on and off. Are the spring really that much better? If so Ill jump at a set if it will make my life a little easier!!

Never had a problem once with my traditional straps on my SP jets. They are easy to adjust, they never break, I replace them each year whether they need it or not, and they stay set to whatever tightness I set them. Cannot see any reason to try anything else.

My favorite DIY concoction is my OMS aluminum backplate and 15 ft webbing as a home made harness. It holds my twin HP 130 tanks and 4 deco bottles like a charm, plus an argon bottle as well. You can put as many D-rings on the rig as you need.

triton94949:
Never had a problem once with my traditional straps on my SP jets. They are easy to adjust, they never break, I replace them each year whether they need it or not, and they stay set to whatever tightness I set them. Cannot see any reason to try anything else.
Well, the traditional straps are NOT easy to adjust (IMO), but once you get them set, you don't need to. No reason to change, but if you tried the spring straps for 3 dives, you'd be hooked. Easier to don and doff by far (especially if you have thick gloves on) and more comfortable. Just like the regular straps, you will need to replace them - about once every 150 years! :eyebrow:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom