Jet Fin Spring Straps- Resurrected

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hoosier:
Sorry.. I missed your post before... bad eyes... :)

No cut at all. If you cut it, you have to buy the new buckle.... They don't sell the pin seperately....

So, you have to save the fin and buckle together. Even though you rethread it, it is pretty solid becuase the buckle is solid materails. Only you need to clamp together between upper and lower of buckle after rethreading the pin... If the buckle isn't solid, why I said it is pita to get off the buckle...:05: Very solid.....

Now, I'm totally confused.. So you don't cut the pin off the old buckle? How do you get the rod (and spring) on that pin?

Just unthread (get off) old buckle by using whatever tools you use and put the old buckle in the reverse way.

Please compare my H strap and this imitation.

DiveGolfSki:
Now, I'm totally confused.. So you don't cut the pin off the old buckle? How do you get the rod (and spring) on that pin?

Yes, sir! with some soapy water..... :05:

Wayward Son:
How did you get the buckle through the ear on the fin? Did you straighten it & then bend it back?

My fins are put together the same way hoosier's are. To get the buckle in backwards you just need straighten one arm and then bend back.

Two things you need to be careful of:
1) Use brass buckle assemblies. The stainless steel one's are really really hard, and difficult to bend.
2) Regarding straightening and bending back the arm: do this only once. Bending the arm back and forth multiple times will put too much stress on the buckle, and will cause it to break.

ifukuda:
My fins are put together the same way hoosier's are. To get the buckle in backwards you just need straighten one arm and then bend back.

Two things you need to be careful of:
1) Use brass buckle assemblies. The stainless steel one's are really really hard, and difficult to bend.
2) Regarding straightening and bending back the arm: do this only once. Bending the arm back and forth multiple times will put too much stress on the buckle, and will cause it to break.

Nice job. Did you have to get a new pin or did you use the old one? If the latter, how'd you reattach it?

The pin is just pin that doesn't have any thread. Each end is slightly thiner. So, if the end of pin hasn't been bent, you can re-use it. Otherwise, it will be difficult to take it off and reuse it.

How many straps do you plan to make? If it is only a pair, you had better buy the new fin and no hassle.

DiveGolfSki:
Nice job. Did you have to get a new pin or did you use the old one? If the latter, how'd you reattach it?

hoosier:
The pin is just pin that doesn't have any thread. Each end is slightly thiner. So, if the end of pin hasn't been bent, you can re-use it. Otherwise, it will be difficult to take it off and reuse it.

How many straps do you plan to make? If it is only a pair, you had better buy the new fin and no hassle.

At least, two. No hassle?? That's what's fun about DIY :D

I will try. I'm getting the delrin rod soon (I hope).

Back
Top Bottom