Jet Fin Spring Straps- Resurrected

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ifukuda:
willydiver,

Good tip on getting delrin rods at onlinemetals.com. These guys will pre-cut the rods for you too!

Regarding the attachment point. I'd special ordered the original metal buckle and pin assembly, and attach them backwards (the U-shaped buckle goes through fin, the pin goes through the rod). It's hard to see, but I have a picture of my Jet Fin setup this way.

FukuGear

This is what I'm interested in doing...exactly. Can I do this by ordering 3/4 inch delrin rods, if they have this size rod, or does it have to be a rod of different size?

Thanks.

Wayward Son:
Nope, shipping on the springs was cheap. It's the other site that's high.

Now I have to decide how I want to attach them. Either the plate & bolt method at the start of this thread, or the traditional welding rod...

Why not just re-use the original hardware? All you have to do is swap it around where the pin goes through the delrin/spring hoop. And looks like original equipment.

Dunno about reusing the hardware. Never seen it off the fin. How do you get it off without destroying or weakening it?

The delrin & springs are on the way. How long do you make the line inside the springs to prevent over-stretching them?

Not only was the shipping cheap, they were fast. I ordered the springs yesterday, on the web site.

UPS left them at my door today. Shipping was a whopping $4.00.

Of course, they shipped from Atlanta, which is 2.5 hrs up the road, but I'm still surprised they got it out so fast.

Ok, just new idea. Has anybody tired to use a hog ring instead of a SS rod or a genuine fin buckle?

hoosier:
Ok, just new idea. Has anybody tired to use a hog ring instead of a SS rod or a genuine fin buckle?

I don't see any reason that you couldn't use a smaller "square" hog ring. Most people probably don't because they don't know what they are.

pcowboy6196:
I don't see any reason that you couldn't use a smaller "square" hog ring. Most people probably don't because they don't know what they are.

Love to see a pic of a hog ring. I think..... I may have really set myself up on this one....

Wayward, glad to see you giving the delrin rod method a shot. Good luck!

WD

I don't have a chance to search for it at the local hardware store yet. If you try it before me, please let me know how it goes.

willydiver:
Love to see a pic of a hog ring. I think..... I may have really set myself up on this one....

Wayward, glad to see you giving the delrin rod method a shot. Good luck!

WD

So far it looks like my biggest problem is finding a drill press to use. So far all of my usual connections have struck out. I may be stuck waiting until school starts next month to see if I can use the shop at the high school.

Back
Top Bottom