Jet fin challenge.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dazedone:
Wow this thread is exactly what I was looking for. I am in the market for a new set of fins since my SP twinjets (which I love) don't fit over my drysuit boots very well. One of my instructors offered to lend me his jet fins this weekend, he swars by them and uses them for everyting from tech diving to teaching OW classes. I will post up my report on the jets on Sunday.

One thing I do not like about the twinjets, is they love to float. Whether I am diving in a skin in coz or in a drysuit in SoCal, it happens and I don't like it very much. I heard the jets are more negative, so we will see.

Thanks Scubakevdm for posting your experiences.
For drysuit diving, IMHO, you gotta go with the Jets over the Splits. With the drag of the suit and the bouyancy properties of the fins, you'll appreciate the power of the Jets. Diving fast with a drysuit, doubles, and other gear is a recipe for CO2. Take the low speed 'torque' of the Jets and drive in 1st gear.

Just tried to use the XL jets with my DUI rock boots. Would need a crowbar and a mallet to get them in there. They have the XXL Jets at my LDS and the foot pockets are HUGE. They work fine with the wetsuit boots and I liked them when I tried them in the pool today. We will see how they work tomorrow in the ocean.

dazedone:
One thing I do not like about the twinjets, is they love to float.

This is true for all colors but black. Hi-viz, cobalt and whatever they call the grey ones are softer and slightly positive. The black splits are stiffer and slightly negative. The Jets are more negative than the blak splits though, to me anyway.

An aside: The Hi-viz is absolutely the most visible material I've ever seen underwater. Its like they'tre electric or something.

LeFlaneur:
Scubakevdm:
In an effort to better understand the classic Jet fin, I have committed to wearing them exclusively for one month. /QUOTE]

I bet you look funny at work.

Not so much at work, but I definately drew some attention at the grocery store.

Well, I dove the jet fins today and I did not seem to have any problems. I did notice, turning was a bit easier. One minor leg cramp, but that was it. I would never cramp with the splits.

Since the XL Jets I borrowed will not fit over my rockboots, I am going to have to go back to the splits when I dive dry tomorrow. The only way I can really test them out is to borrow an XXL set of Jets, which no one has. I didn't feel comfortable enough in them after only one dive to commit to buying a pair of Jets.

d33ps1x:
Jets can be judged just fine in a wetsuit. I used a lovely pair of size XL with Xl spring straps for quite a few strong current dives in Jan in Mexico.

They worked quite well.

True. I used them for 14 dives in Maui last month with a 3mm and they were great but my point was that when you get a chance to use them with a Dry Suit as well, you get an appreciation of the whole picture.

So, I was forced to do the back to back comparison early because I loaned out my gear and then had to dive unexpectedly. Here's the poop...

The initial sensation upon entering the water in the splits was that I had forgotten to don my fins entirely. The complete absence of resistance was a bit un-nerving at first and I had to remind myself that I had been very fond of the Twin Jets at one point in time. After the first 15 minutes of the dive all was again well, and I don't recall thinking about the change in propulsion at all until I had to make a high speed Hogfish intercept and thought to myself, "Woo, I sure am going fast!" 'Cause I was. I captured the Hog.

So, in the end I like both fins very much. They are both good at doing different stuff. Like bowling shoes and golf shoes they each shine in their own arena and stink in the other's. For anything that requires covering a lot of ground I choose the splits. For precise and instantanious control of where I am underwater, the jets. I think that I'll hang on to both sets.

Iv'e been following this thread since you started and I just wanted to say thanks for taking the time to fill us in on the test.

Good report! I like your objectivity and openess to both sides of a story. Bravo! and a fresh change from some threads on the SB.

I have two pairs of Jets, one for dry and one for wet. I may try the splits for rec someday, but any spare $100+ wad is going to get blown on some other gear first and a trip to Canada, but that's another story!

Back
Top Bottom