Jet fin challenge.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the report. One question: What equipment were you otherwise wearing, i.e, single 80 with aluminum backplate and 3 mil wetsuit, etc? Since you are half a scientist already by making this report, I urge you to go the rest of the way by repeating your testing while diving dry with doubles (preferably steels) with two aluminum 40s. Please let us know if you come out with the same results. :D

I have found a world of difference between a size Large and Extra Large in the Jet Fin. There is about a 4" difference in fin length, most of which is in the front (and not in the foot pocket)--the longer XL offers more power, more action, and less stiffness than the L.

One of the best most unbiased reports ive read here. Great work and thanks for the effort!

Personally, I love the jets. They are capable of manuvers that other fins simply cannot do. However, you can't muscle your way around with them, or they will beat you, there more of a finesse type of fin. They seem really only content with the frog kick, and will do it better than anything on the market. Admitedly, im a bit of a tourist on a dive, and pick and poke around looking at everything, so they fit my style of diving. I guess that if your one of those "speed boat" dovers, they may seem a little klunky. But if you slow down, and enjoy the dive, they really shine, and can even help with sac, (less muscle to move more water). Most divers that I have known end up in love with them.

Scubakevdm:
So, I was forced to do the back to back comparison early because I loaned out my gear and then had to dive unexpectedly. Here's the poop...

The initial sensation upon entering the water in the splits was that I had forgotten to don my fins entirely. The complete absence of resistance was a bit un-nerving at first and I had to remind myself that I had been very fond of the Twin Jets at one point in time. After the first 15 minutes of the dive all was again well, and I don't recall thinking about the change in propulsion at all until I had to make a high speed Hogfish intercept and thought to myself, "Woo, I sure am going fast!" 'Cause I was. I captured the Hog.

So, in the end I like both fins very much. They are both good at doing different stuff. Like bowling shoes and golf shoes they each shine in their own arena and stink in the other's. For anything that requires covering a lot of ground I choose the splits. For precise and instantanious control of where I am underwater, the jets. I think that I'll hang on to both sets.

Great report. My experiences are similar, and I came to the same conlusion--I own both, and select the fins according to the dives I will be doing that weekend. And the AquaLung Super Rocket II has a truly excellent foot pocket for comfort, otherwise pretty much the same fin as the SP Rocket. Also own and love the Cressi Rondines.

theskull

I use the grey scubapro twin jets.. I love them.. i like the way they are so easy on the ankles, but I only dive lakes and I dive slow and easy. I have never had any problem with them. I hope to get a chance to use them in current and see how they work. clay

craborn:
I use the grey scubapro twin jets.. I love them.. i like the way they are so easy on the ankles, but I only dive lakes and I dive slow and easy. I have never had any problem with them. I hope to get a chance to use them in current and see how they work. clay

If they're just a little bit like the atomic splits that I use, they will, as mentioned by another guy here, take time to "rev up". This slight delay in thrust can make heavy current a bit more airconsuming to work against. It is possible I find to avoid frantic finning, but personally I have to make a deliberate effort to find and maintain an economic rythm and make the best of whatever glides I get. Frog kicking is quite weak with these so I use flutter or "scissor" kicks in currrent.

Santa

im a firm beleiver in the classic jetfins. i was extremely sceptical in the beiginning. tried all sort of radical fins but in the end i decided to give them a shot becasue of all the positive comments. i thought id have a hard time in the beginning but none whatsoever. me and my girl use the classic jets and dont intend to change them EVER.

I've found some jetfins by IST. Does anybody know how these compare to original Scubapros? I think they may be a bit softer and looks a bit more like turtles to me (turtle fins that is)

They're vastly cheaper.

I think the biggest issue is when you dive you watch some one using the splits, and you think how do they move them through the water. They look real flimsy but the are comfortable! When I dive im there to relax by using the Slpits the added comfort lets me enjoy the dive. If I wanted speed through the water I would join the Swim team.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom