Jet fin challenge.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubakevdm

ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
So, I have argued with my friend as I am sure many of you have argued with yours about the absolute supremacy of the Twin Jet fin. In an effort to better understand the classic Jet fin, I have committed to wearing them exclusively for one month. I am not fond of them so far, but I'm starting to learn how to make them go.
I dive almost exclusively on the reefs out here, and will use them to guide at work, to fish and to take some pictures with. I have made six dives in them so far, all guiding. For swimming, the splits are way better, but for spinning or turning the jets are better. Jets back better too. The splits are kinda mushy, but way faster and way more comfortable.
Next month is the super long free diving fin challenge.... from another friend.

You answered your own question, i.e. jets turn, back. Spinning ECT better that's why the cave and tech divers use them in penetration wrecks and caves you need that.

I've used the twin jets. Didn't like the flutter when I used the flutter kick. Classic jet fins don't have that funny little flutter when you kick. I've been told to not kick as hard when I flutter kick and the twins would not flutter. I also wouldn't be able to go as fast or swim against as heavy a current. I usually use kicking techniques that the twins just don't lend them selves to very well. So, I'll keep my jet fins. They are not as expensive either. Besides, I'll never have to buy another set of fins.

Scubakevdm:
So, I have argued with my friend as I am sure many of you have argued with yours about the absolute supremacy of the Twin Jet fin. In an effort to better understand the classic Jet fin, I have committed to wearing them exclusively for one month. I am not fond of them so far, but I'm starting to learn how to make them go.
I dive almost exclusively on the reefs out here, and will use them to guide at work, to fish and to take some pictures with. I have made six dives in them so far, all guiding. For swimming, the splits are way better, but for spinning or turning the jets are better. Jets back better too. The splits are kinda mushy, but way faster and way more comfortable.
Next month is the super long free diving fin challenge.... from another friend.

You could not take my classic jet fins from my feet if you had a stick of TNT. I will never give them up!

Have you tried the frog kick, it far superior than a normal kick for saving energy and moving strongly through the water.

I'm interested to see your comments in 30 days. Looky here
bud. :D

A before and after.

FreeFloat:
What kick are you using for your general, "get-from-here-to-there" kick?

Cruising I do a modified frog kick, if I have to go fast I do a flutter kick. I dove again today with them... dives7&8 with the Jets. I continue to improve with them, however still really prefer the splits for this type of diving. I agree that the Jets are good for wrecks or caves, but they suck on the reef. I really don't like the shallowness of the foot pockets. I feel that there is a fair amount of loss in the transmition of power from the leg to the fin due to this. They are uncomfortable to kick in due to a combination of the stiffness of the blade, their weight, and the foot pocket problem.

Jets cannot be properly judged untill you dive in a Dry Suit with them. That's when they really shine. People talk about the floaty feet sensation when Dry Suit Diving..you won't get that with Jets. They hold your (my) feet at a perfect position.

foot pocket problem? Maybe you just don't have the right size to begin with.

bcsean:
foot pocket problem? Maybe you just don't have the right size to begin with.

Maybe. I got a pair of XL's, I have a size 10 1/2 foot.
Anyway, dives 9 & 10 today with the jets. I think my feet are starting to get used to them, 'cause they're not quite as achey. My mastery of the Jet fin continues and I am again better with them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom