Jet fin challenge.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I agree with the last two posts - thanks. Its probably the most objective - and most helpful - report I've read on SB in a long time.

Scubakevdm:
The initial sensation upon entering the water in the splits was that I had forgotten to don my fins entirely. The complete absence of resistance was a bit un-nerving at first and I had to remind myself that I had been very fond of the Twin Jets at one point in time. After the first 15 minutes of the dive all was again well, and I don't recall thinking about the change in propulsion at all until I had to make a high speed Hogfish intercept and thought to myself, "Woo, I sure am going fast!" 'Cause I was. I captured the Hog.

So, in the end I like both fins very much. They are both good at doing different stuff. Like bowling shoes and golf shoes they each shine in their own arena and stink in the other's. For anything that requires covering a lot of ground I choose the splits. For precise and instantanious control of where I am underwater, the jets. I think that I'll hang on to both sets.

I second this observation - I too tell people that when you initially jump in the water with the splits, its like not having anything on your feet!

However, I did use my jets one time while bugging and I wanted to cover alot of ground, so I hung up the splits for the day. I found I could feel it in my ankles and calves as soon as I began kicking.. but I still think I will keep them around..... notstalgia and memories!

Well i dove with Kev during this "testing" time and thought he always wore jets :wink:

I have found my Oceanic jet rip-offs are pretty decent for power, turning and speed - i have yet to be left behind by anyone when they feel the need for speed - just do a long and powerful frog and i am up there with them during their flutter-a-thon :wink: Probably will get the "real thing" jets with my drysuit, or try to see if i can test out any other psuedo classics from other manufacturers (rockets or turtles) if possible.

simbrooks:
Well i dove with Kev during this "testing" time and thought he always wore jets :wink:
I am the Amelda Marcos of scuba. A bizzare fin compulsion, I have five sets, make that six. I don't know why. I can't help it.

mikedarmody:
Great thread. Helped me decide on jets vs spilts. I think I will go with jets and work on my techniques from there.

This thread helped me decide on twin jets! :):)

Scubakevdm:
I am the Amelda Marcos of scuba. A bizzare fin compulsion, I have five sets, make that six. I don't know why. I can't help it.
I only have two sets, my quattros are relegated for my oceanic jet-like fins, this weekend i might buy more fins, a set to go dry!

I think achey feet means theres a problem that needs solving. For better or worse I dive with atomic split fins these days and if nothing else they're easy on my feet and ankles. Smooth enough.

Recently I bought a new pair of boots, though (oceanics). THey had a rounded sole that followed the curve of my foot, and wider tips than my old ones.

All of a sudden my dives were all pain and I contribute that to bad support due to the wide tips in the rather slender foot pockets of the atomics - and the curvature of the boot.

Could be your boots are wrong for the pocket - or as someone mentioned you've got the wrong size fin.

Sincerely
Santa

90% of my diving is in rivers or springs where I need the quick thrusts of power to go from one handhold to the next. My SP Jets are great and rugged enough for the environment. They wear like tire rubber (abrasive resistant). I've honestly never tried the split variety of fins but feel from the discussions, they would take too long to "rev up" in a strong current. But I will admit, the Jets do occasionally cramp my feet and wear my tail out on long swims back to the boat. But for grubbing along the river bottoms, the classic Jets work great.

I'd like to second... I mean third.... (or whatever number we're up to) the kudos to scubakevdm on creating and keeping up with this thread. This is the kind of quality discussion that can help somebody out with their equipment choices.

Thanks!
WD

I myself this weekend did a short test of Jets vs Twin Jets out at Lake Jocassee. This was a quick test with my brother. First I wore the Jets and he wore the Twin Jets (black version) for about 30min then when we go over to one of the training platforms we swapped fins. I took off the Jets and put on the Twin Jets. One thing I noticed real quick...the Twins felt very light almost like I didn't have on any fins. While using the flutter kick I didn't feel as much resistance but boy was I moving!
Now I'm not saying I was a speed demon or anything but I was moving along at a steady pace (which I could do with the Jets too) but the thing with the Twin Jets is that I didn't feel the least bit of leg fatigue. My legs just weren't tired at all! I could also do my half-*****ed frog kick in the Twin Jets and move along too.
I wasn't able to back up in the Twins or do "stationary" turns (maybe a better word for that...where you use one fin to back and the other fin to move forward in essence use can hover and turn right or left just by using your fins).
I'm going to buy the Twin Jets for now and later when I get into more "Tech Diving" I will purchase the Jets. I believe either to be a great product and see no reason to bash either product. They are designed for 2 different TYPES of diving IMHO. Yes the original Jets are probably a little more diversified in that you could by the Jets and use them for everything but would have to put a little more leg into it where the Twins are a little more relaxed so to speak.

Well off to buy the Twin Jets...size Large.

Happy Diving,
Jeremy

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom