Jet fin challenge.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This one I'm sort of interested in as there are some techniques that I am wanting to learn that I cannot seem to really do with my current sets of fins.. Keep the posts coming Kevin :D

CALI68:
Jets cannot be properly judged untill you dive in a Dry Suit with them. That's when they really shine. People talk about the floaty feet sensation when Dry Suit Diving..you won't get that with Jets. They hold your (my) feet at a perfect position.

Jets can be judged just fine in a wetsuit. I used a lovely pair of size XL with Xl spring straps for quite a few strong current dives in Jan in Mexico.

They worked quite well.

Give 'em a few more dives.

I did my first 650 or so dives in Bio Fins. Then I purchased a pair of Turtles.

On the first dive, I hated 'em.

After 6 or 7 dives I could tolerate 'em.

After a dozen dives I started to like 'em.

After 20 dives I sold my Bio Fins ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

You mean I will have to give up my Jet Fins when I go to Roatan latter this year? They seemed to work great in Grand Cayman last summer.

Scubakevdm:
I agree that the Jets are good for wrecks or caves, but they suck on the reef.

Dan Gibson:
You mean I will have to give up my Jet Fins when I go to Roatan latter this year? They seemed to work great in Grand Cayman last summer.
No sir, I mean I will give up my Jet fins when I go to Roatan this year. I am not trying to tell anyone which fin they should like, I'm telling them which fin I like.

NWGratefulDiver:
Give 'em a few more dives.

I did my first 650 or so dives in Bio Fins. Then I purchased a pair of Turtles.

On the first dive, I hated 'em.

After 6 or 7 dives I could tolerate 'em.

After a dozen dives I started to like 'em.

After 20 dives I sold my Bio Fins ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I'll have about 40 dives in the Jets at the end of the one month commitment. As soon as August 13th rolls around I'm going to do a comparison with the splits but I wanted to learn the Jets so that I could give them a fair shake.

Scubakevdm:
Maybe. I got a pair of XL's, I have a size 10 1/2 foot.
Anyway, dives 9 & 10 today with the jets. I think my feet are starting to get used to them, 'cause they're not quite as achey. My mastery of the Jet fin continues and I am again better with them.
Kev, we have the same shoe size and I use a pair of Jets size Large with Large spring straps, and 3mm Mares high booties. The top of my fin pockets stop within 1/4" from the joint of my ankles and the bottom of the foot fits perfectly at the front of my heels. I used to dive with a pair of Volos, then switched to the Quattros, then to the Jets... Won't ever dive with the volos again, and the Quattros I'll use whenever I feel like having some variety. What I like the best is that, like scbababe's (hers are size M), they are smaller than the quattros and give me the same, if not better thrust and the modified frog kick is easier with the jets.

Okay, yesterday I did dives 11,12 & 13 and hunted for the first time in the Jets. I am getting used to them at this point, which was nice. The jets shone during the hunt due to their supierior off the line accelleration compared to the splits, but higher speeds aren't as sustainable nor as comfortable as with the splits for me at this point in time.

Scubakevdm:
Maybe. I got a pair of XL's, I have a size 10 1/2 foot.
Anyway, dives 9 & 10 today with the jets. I think my feet are starting to get used to them, 'cause they're not quite as achey. My mastery of the Jet fin continues and I am again better with them.
Patience, patience. While it only took me 1 day to learn how to drive my 1972 Datsun POS, it took me about 30 days to master driving my Ferrari.

I don't really own a Ferrari. It just sounded cool.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom