Jet fin challenge.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubakevdm:
Okay, yesterday I did dives 11,12 & 13 and hunted for the first time in the Jets. I am getting used to them at this point, which was nice. The jets shone during the hunt due to their supierior off the line accelleration compared to the splits, but higher speeds aren't as sustainable nor as comfortable as with the splits for me at this point in time.

I tried the split fin and I do not feel they have the power to move a diver through high currents or lots of tech equipment. I like the feel of power beind my feet when I need it.

For most of one's diving, there isn't really a need to sustain maximium speed. This justs wastes gas and builds up CO2. If you want to sustain speed while keeping consumption down, take a scooter.

Scubakevdm:
The jets shone during the hunt due to their supierior off the line accelleration compared to the splits, but higher speeds aren't as sustainable nor as comfortable as with the splits for me at this point in time.

Dan Gibson:
For most of one's diving, there isn't really a need to sustain maximium speed. This justs wastes gas and builds up CO2. If you want to sustain speed while keeping consumption down, take a scooter.

Thank you very much, I'll consider asking my boss for a scooter because during the course of my day I often am required to give chase to people and things. Today was an excellent example, but I'll get to that in a minute.
They disconnected the electrical feed to my shop for construction Wednesday morning, so I'm tardy on the reports of dives 14,15,16,& 17 which ocurred on 7/22 and again involved hunting, then dives 18,19,20 & 21 which involved wreck penetration and hunting on 7/23 and then dives 22 & 23 which involved sustained high speeds and hunting today. Here's the breakdown:
In the wreck, they were good... duh. Hunting, the have their pro's and they have their cons. I feel that the Jets reqiure more leg motion, but stop and back much more powerfully and quickly. Anyway certainly they weren't problematic on the hunt. Sustained high speeds... today I was hired by a girl who kicked very gently throughout the entire dive. She was wearing Twin Jets. It was a severe pain in the butt to keep up with her in the Jets, and without a scooter. Also I wrangled some turtles and a nurse shark for her. The splits are definately faster and easier on the legs for doing that kind of stuff.

Oh yeah, I've been meaning to mention this as well - the jets are much easier to move around in topside. The Twins, they really seem to tangle up in everything. They twins don't seem to slide as easy on the deck though.

I've been reading and posting as much as possible to get help and information on what fin to settle on for my next purchase. I knew that the number one choice for Tech/Wreck/DIR was the SP Jet Fins, but suspected these to be stiff for my liking. I also knew from tons of reading that the splits of different types have won rave reviews. I haven't been truly happy with any of the fins I have purchased since my old Mares Avanties I bought back in 88. These were later stolen. For the last two years I've been in Atomic Splits, which are nice, but light on my feet. I narrowed my new fin purchase down to the Apollo Biofin XT's with spring straps, as I heard great things and they fit my requirement for being negative. On the way down to my local quary to test them out, a old friend of mine threw his Jet Fins in the back of my truck and told me to give them a shot, as they were very negative. He also bet that I would not like them as he thought them too stiff compared to his new splits. Make a long story short, I tried the Jets first dive...I couldn't stop smiling. I expected a lifeless stiff impossible fin to kick, but was shocked at the power mixed with ease of finning...frog or flutter. On the second dive, I tried the Apollos. I liked these much more than my Atomic Splits, but they could not hold a candle the feeling I got in the Jets, which was that of solid power with absolute control. Apollos are back at Leisurepro (which I highly recommend, wonderful customer service), and my new Jets are on the way...with a set of spring straps. It was litteraly night and day for me.

Randy Kight

Curt Bowen:
I tried the split fin and I do not feel they have the power to move a diver through high currents or lots of tech equipment. I like the feel of power beind my feet when I need it.

I agree that the Jets have a more instantanious and crisp resposnse. The Twins feel very mushy off the line. I'm not sure which would have more power once you got them going. I'll try some experiments after the month with both fins.

This pretty much solidifies my idea of going to Jets. I'm not worried about speeding around as I'm not to much into chasing things down. I think these will compliment my DiveRite TransPac very well. :)

I've been trying to decide on some new fins because of the purchace of a dry suit. My SP jets of over 25yrs. won't fit the boot. I've recently started diving search and rescue. You seem to know your fins. Any suggestions between Jet, Twin Jet, Bios for SAR.

I think the Jets vs. Splits is an argument for the ages. The Jets have lasted a few generations, but will the Splits?

diverepair:
I've been trying to decide on some new fins because of the purchace of a dry suit. My SP jets of over 25yrs. won't fit the boot. I've recently started diving search and rescue. You seem to know your fins. Any suggestions between Jet, Twin Jet, Bios for SAR.

I hesitate to offer anyone advice on which fin is best for them. I really feel that this is a pretty intimate issue. Everyone dives different, and to presume that what works best for me works best for you may not be correct or helpful. I will offer the following observation though... it takes a while to get used to and learn different types of fins. I am wearing the Jets for a month and already like them alot better than I did when I started. I have learned how to use them much better. I had to go through the same process with the Twin Jets when I first got them... in fact I didn't like them a whole lot in the begining either. They are now (still) my favorite fin.
So I guess what I'm trying to say is that if you are able to try a different type of fin try it for a while and learn it if you can.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom