JDC or Underwater Explorers in September?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I live in the Jupiter area so get out with JDC more than any other shop.... I love the Juno reefs and big fish along with the fact that JDC is top notch. Boyton offers a different experience in that the current is gentler, the dives are a bit shallower (more down time) and the reef itself is very colorful and beautiful with tons of tropical fish, so I'd encourage you to try both locations given they are less that 45 minutes apart. The only negative about a single diver in Boynton is that most operators don't send a DM down (I don't know if UWE does or does not), so you'll be buddied up with someone that may or may not be a good match.

A couple of the operators in Boynton make each dive grouping take a float ball which I find unnecassary & annoying. Usually at least two good dangles occur during an outing as well as being a hinderence to those hunting. I have yet to dive off of Under Water Explorers who a lot of experienced posters laud.

A couple of the operators in Boynton make each dive grouping take a float ball which I find unnecassary & annoying. Usually at least two good dangles occur during an outing as well as being a hinderence to those hunting. I have yet to dive off of Under Water Explorers who a lot of experienced posters laud.

Using floats is very necessary in Boynton area. Very heavy dive traffic (6-10 different charter boats operating at the same time, with 6-14 divers each, all these trips are departing/returning at approx same time), plus many private dive boats, and the only way to keep an eye on your divers is to have them carry some kind of visual ID. We also share the reef with fisherman, and pleasure boaters, head boats, etc. - so safety is the primary reason. I agree that it hinders hunting some, but some people drift, some stop, some fight the current, some swim east, some swim west, not everyone has same air consumption rate, not everyone stays at the same depth, and next thing you know there are sausages everywhere - and most likely where/when you are not looking for them (as a captain). Even with the flags there is confusion at times, so all boats monitor 88a and work together to help eachother and sort it out.

Uh, hotels in Boynton...
Krista, you are most definately one of those people who see that half-empty glass of water as half-full.

Hmm, well it's not a vacation mecca, but there are a few hotel/motels to choose from. (I did live there for the first 5 years I came to FL, so I suppose I'm just familiar with the area). And, since I was curious, I ran a rate search on each of them while I was at it.

Off the top of my head, there's the Holiday Inn Express at I95 and Boynton Bch Blvd. ($71.95)

Hampton Inn on Gateway, and ($109)

Courtyard Marriott on Congress next to the mall. ($79/night)

I would be comfortable staying at any of them. Though the first, the one at 95 & BBBlvd. might be a little iffy for some.

Using floats is very necessary in Boynton area. Very heavy dive traffic (6-10 different charter boats operating at the same time, with 6-14 divers each, all these trips are departing/returning at approx same time), plus many private dive boats, and the only way to keep an eye on your divers is to have them carry some kind of visual ID. We also share the reef with fisherman, and pleasure boaters, head boats, etc. - so safety is the primary reason. I agree that it hinders hunting some, but some people drift, some stop, some fight the current, some swim east, some swim west, not everyone has same air consumption rate, not everyone stays at the same depth, and next thing you know there are sausages everywhere - and most likely where/when you are not looking for them (as a captain). Even with the flags there is confusion at times, so all boats monitor 88a and work together to help eachother and sort it out.

Well that makes sense. The same facts exsists for WPB-Jupiter but for the fact the dive spots are quite spread out. Thanks for the post.

... so all boats monitor 88a and work together to help eachother and sort it out.

I think you meant 78a.

But I agree with everyone using floats on the charter boats where you have divers you don't know going every where.

I'm sorry that you find diving with a dive flag/float ball unnecessary and annoying. However, please be advised that it's the law!

Florida Dive Flags

I think you meant 78a.

But I agree with everyone using floats on the charter boats where you have divers you don't know going every where.

Johnoly, boats out of Boynton use 88alpha channel.

I'm sorry that you find diving with a dive flag/float ball unnecessary and annoying. However, please be advised that it's the law!

Florida Dive Flags

I think you misunderstood my post. I was alluding to the difference in practice between South County operators and Central/North County operators whereas Cental/North County operations send down a DM with a float and the other divers utilize SMB's (hopefully large) for proper in water safety marking. I beleive I have read your quality posts in the past whereas you dive somewhat regurlarly up this way so I not sure why you made the comment.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom