JDC or Underwater Explorers in September?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diverrex

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I haven't dived Jupiter/Boynton yet. Thinking about squeezing in a long weekend in September. I'm guessing I'll get opinions on each side of this but I'll ask anyway, should I dive with Jupiter Dive Center or Underwater Explorers. I'm thinking of diving a Fri/Sat/Sun. For only a 3 day trip I'm not sure it would be worth trying to dive both on the same trip. A few questions:

JDC has two boats. Can you do the morning dive and also make the afternoon dive? I'm AOW/Nitrox certified.
I'm assuming with one boat you can make both dives with UE. Correct?

Amything else I should consider? I'll be travelling alone. If I go with JDC was thinking of doing the drift course.

What are decent but reasonable places to stay for those locations for a few nights?

Thanks.

In September, I'd say Jupiter for sure. There are several goliath aggregation spots where you'll see 50 or more goliath groupers and enormous bait balls swarming them. September is the month of love for goliath groupers.

If you're going for Goliaths (referencing the previous poster) you'll see plenty in Boynton too, just ask to dive the Castor, it is generally loaded. As for the reefs you'll be drifting in either place, as for the "drift course" save your money and dive w/ UE, Kev will show you the ropes of drift diving and dive w/ you. IMHO the drift card is kind of a useless cert., nobody is ever going to ask you if you have your drift card.

You could easily dive both Boynton and Jupiter in one trip. It's about a 30 minute drive to Jupiter, if you stay in Boynton, or vice versa.

You will get pretty good rates for lodging as this is off season and
September slows down even a bit more than the summer months.
Two trips on the same boat is done at times. You usually have
enough time to get lunch or whatever depending on whats nearby.
The reefs in Jupiter are deeper so Nitrox and a computer is pretty
much the way to go especially if diving four dives (both trips).

If you're going for Goliaths (referencing the previous poster) you'll see plenty in Boynton too, just ask to dive the Castor, it is generally loaded. As for the reefs you'll be drifting in either place, as for the "drift course" save your money and dive w/ UE, Kev will show you the ropes of drift diving and dive w/ you. IMHO the drift card is kind of a useless cert., nobody is ever going to ask you if you have your drift card.

My interest in the drift course isn't the card or the drift (I've done 27 dives in Cozumel) but in having someone teach me how to properly deploy a SMB both at depth and shallow. Maybe I'll just get myself a reel and practice on my own.

And seeing fish is why I dive so maybe Jupiter is the spot.

My interest in the drift course isn't the card or the drift (I've done 27 dives in Cozumel) but in having someone teach me how to properly deploy a SMB both at depth and shallow. Maybe I'll just get myself a reel and practice on my own.

And seeing fish is why I dive so maybe Jupiter is the spot.

Fish life is abundant in Boynton, You'll be happy with either location. Probably get better bottom times in Boynton though as the reefs tend to be shallower.

I'm guessing I'll get opinions on each side of this but I'll ask anyway, should I dive with Jupiter Dive Center or Underwater Explorers.

Yes!

You can't go wrong here. I'll be diving 4 days in late Sept myself and may dive a couple of days with each. JDC has a 3 tanker on Friday.

Good diving, Craig

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom