Boynton area dive boat recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think all of the current operators in Boynton have been mentioned:
Scubatyme
Starfish
Splashdown
By Scubatyme I take you mean South Florida Diving HQ? Are they using the Scubatyme boat up in Boynton?

Thanks @Divin'Papaw and @CosbySweater

I am on my way home from a week of diving at Malpelo, Colombia. I will post a proper response after I get home.

As opposed to Jupiter and Palm Beach, none of the operators in Boynton put a guide with a flag in the water.
I've exclusively dove charters in Jupiter and WPB. During mini season, I dove out of Boynton for the first time on Scubatyme. I will say, it was a little bit of a culture shock. Everyone on the boat was divided up into groups and handed a dive flag, and you had to provide your own reel. I asked for weights, and they looked at me funny, so I ran back to my truck to grab weights. You paid once you were on the boat. Groups were dropped off separately, maybe this had to do with lobster hunting, but I'm not sure. Our surface intervals were allowed to spread out too. The crew was good, Ben was the captain, and he took us all the way to Del Rey when we weren't finding lobster near Boynton. One concern, there weren't any roll calls after dives. The boat was large and packed with divers. Towing the flag was annoying, especially when there's 2ft swells and you're trying to catch lobsters. They threw a ball and rope to us to pull us into the boat.

It was definitely a different experience than the Jupiter/WPB charters where customer service and a catered experience is at the forefront. This felt more DIY, they were there to get you to the dive spot, and the rest was up to you. When I questioned why we had to tow a flag, they kinda chuckled about not having to follow a DM like you do up north. I countered that by saying, no, we can do whatever we like and just shoot a DSMB when we are done. Capt Ben said he wished he could do that. I'm not sure what he meant by that, are there different rules or something south of WPB? Is it a company rule? Insurance related? Are the currents different?

I've exclusively dove charters in Jupiter and WPB. During mini season, I dove out of Boynton for the first time on Scubatyme. I will say, it was a little bit of a culture shock. Everyone on the boat was divided up into groups and handed a dive flag, and you had to provide your own reel. I asked for weights, and they looked at me funny, so I ran back to my truck to grab weights. You paid once you were on the boat. Groups were dropped off separately, maybe this had to do with lobster hunting, but I'm not sure. Our surface intervals were allowed to spread out too. The crew was good, Ben was the captain, and he took us all the way to Del Rey when we weren't finding lobster near Boynton. One concern, there weren't any roll calls after dives. The boat was large and packed with divers. Towing the flag was annoying, especially when there's 2ft swells and you're trying to catch lobsters. They threw a ball and rope to us to pull us into the boat.

It was definitely a different experience than the Jupiter/WPB charters where customer service and a catered experience is at the forefront. This felt more DIY, they were there to get you to the dive spot, and the rest was up to you. When I questioned why we had to tow a flag, they kinda chuckled about not having to follow a DM like you do up north. I countered that by saying, no, we can do whatever we like and just shoot a DSMB when we are done. Capt Ben said he wished he could do that. I'm not sure what he meant by that, are there different rules or something south of WPB? Is it a company rule? Insurance related? Are the currents different?

It’s my understanding that every “dive group” must carry a flag in Florida (says the law). The WPB and Jupiter boats put a guide in the water who carries the flag for the group. You can chose to stay with that group or go do your own thing. That choice is yours, not the boats. That being said, I’ve been dropped numerous times in my own separate group without a flag in WPB and Jupiter. The law isn’t well enforced. PBC sheriff isn’t out there checking flags.

Boynton boats have each group carry a flag because they don’t put a guide in the water with the divers. That’s the main reason. I’d be curious to learn if there was a reason all the Boynton boats don’t put guides in the water. It seems strange that none of them do it.

There are pros and cons to carrying a dive flag. Many good arguments for and against. I personally don’t like to carry them. I’d rather establish a dive plan with the captain and shoot an SMB from depth when I begin my ascent. Carrying a flag would make a lot of the diving I like to do impractical or significantly less enjoyable. To each their own, though.

It’s my understanding that every “dive group” must carry a flag in Florida (says the law). The WPB and Jupiter boats put a guide in the water who carries the flag for the group. You can chose to stay with that group or go do your own thing. That choice is yours, not the boats. That being said, I’ve been dropped numerous times in my own separate group without a flag in WPB and Jupiter. The law isn’t well enforced. PBC sheriff isn’t out there checking flags.

Boynton boats have each group carry a flag because they don’t put a guide in the water with the divers. That’s the main reason. I’d be curious to learn if there was a reason all the Boynton boats don’t put guides in the water. It seems strange that none of them do it.

There are pros and cons to carrying a dive flag. Many good arguments for and against. I personally don’t like to carry them. I’d rather establish a dive plan with the captain and shoot an SMB from depth when I begin my ascent. Carrying a flag would make a lot of the diving I like to do impractical or significantly less enjoyable. To each their own, though.
That makes sense, the simple fact that there isn't a guide in the water is a contrasting difference. I don't understand why they wouldn't either. I don't imagine it impacts the boat owners costs or the captains pay. The deckhand would have to split with the guide, but then there would also be twice as many people helping on the boat. I'm with you, I'd rather not tow a flag and just shoot a DSMB.

One thing to add ... it's not just Boynton. Every OP south of Palm Beach does not put a guide in the water. If it is a drift dive, every group tows their own flag. That applies in Boynton, Pompano, Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, & Key Largo. From Palm Beach north to Jupiter, for whatever reason, OPs have established different protocols and norms that all boats seem to follow. I have no clue where these norms came from. They've been in place for the entire 15 or so years I've been diving the Southeast coast of Florida.

There are currently 4 dive boats out of Boynton Harbor Marina, Starfish Scuba, SFDH Scubatyme, and 2 boats owned by Splashdown Divers, Loggerhead and Delta's Splash.

I started diving in Boynton Beach in 2009. I did most of my diving with Underwater Explorers and Kevin Metz until he quit operating and sold his boat. Kevin is doing well. He graduated from the Harvard Extension School and works as a Corporate Sustainability consultant. I had lunch with him in June, during my last visit.

As above, none of the Boynton operators put in a guide with a flag and individuals and groups are required to carry a flag. I mostly dive solo and take a flag.

I do nearly all my diving with Starfish and Capt. Chris. I have dived quite a bit off Loggerhead with Capt. Jim, but not since being acquired by Splashdown. I would not hesitate to use Loggerhead as a backup for Starfish. I have not dived Splashdown's Delta's Splash for a very long time. I have not dived Scubatyme yet, but will likely give it a try sometime my friend and fill in Capt., Alex B is driving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom