Japanese open fire on Sea Shepherd crew

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yeah but the last time I checked pigs were raised in farms for the sheer purpose of being slaughtered. Also, on the comparison of intelligence I think whales would prove much smarter then pigs. Some scientists have likened whale intelligence to dolphins and some researchers have argued that dolphins may be nearly as intelligent as human beings. Whales on the other hand are endangered species that exist in the open ocean.

maybe we should raise whales in farms then.

Oh, and for pigs, didn't you see the movie Babe?:eyebrow:

on a serious note, define intelligence and then we can compare pigs to whales... or humans

Actually New Zealand recognizes this treaty (In fact I think only Japan, Norway and Iceland DONT recognize it) and seeing as they are whaling in our backyard I am starting to get a little pissed. If they want to hunt whales they can go back to Japan and hunt whales...leave ours alone.
Sorry mate. You don't just get to claim a stretch of ocean thousands of miles away as somehow belonging to you.

he doesn't claim the ocean as his Kim, he claims the whales as his. I tought whales were intelligent and independant creatures?

I'll can claim the whales as my own too. They're migratory, and I have a vested interest in them. What stops me from trying to protect them? The whalers are out of their local territory, and hunting on a shallow premise.

Whatever issues you have with anthropomorphism, people know very little about whales in general. So, until someone can actually step into their brain and live their lives they (in my book) can qualify as "smart."

X

Sorry mate. You don't just get to claim a stretch of ocean thousands of miles away as somehow belonging to you.

Neither can you.
Mr. "I don't eat it because I don't need to and it's not my culture."

The Japanese are one of the world's shining examples of over exploitation of an eco-system.
You know a lot about this huh?

Actually - the Japanese are probably among the best in the world at maintaining marine resources at sustainable levels. They've been fishing their coastal waters for centuries - and still happily do so today. Do you think that would be possible if they had "over-exploited" anything - such as The US and Europe have done in the N.Atlantic and the N.Sea?

Considering it was also American & European whaling fleets that decimated the whale populations to start with, it's pretty easy for me to understand the Japanese viewpoint that they're being preached at by a bunch of hypocrites.

Neither can you.

I don't. Every nation in the world fishes freely in International waters. I believe 120 miles is the accepted limit a country can claim fishing rights in from it's own coastline.

Mr. "I don't eat it because I don't need to and it's not my culture."
:rofl3:

Got nothing of value to say so you start with the personal attacks?

Grow up.

I don't want to interrupt the debate over who owns what oceans etc..... But I would like to know how many people believe that the Nisshin Maru was conducting research as would be indicated by the banner and on their ship??

Here is a link to the "research" website
iàj“ú–{Œ~—ÞŒ¤‹†Š

There is an option for English version once you click the link.

I don't. Every nation in the world fishes freely in International waters. I believe 120 miles is the accepted limit a country can claim fishing rights in from it's own coastline.

:rofl3:

Got nothing of value to say so you start with the personal attacks?

Grow up.

:pityparty: Get off it. I don't dig what you pulled the last time.

X

Back
Top Bottom