Japanese open fire on Sea Shepherd crew

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't know what to think about the possibility of the shooting being staged. I do know that there is obvious video evidence of the Japanese Coast Guardsmen throwing the flash grenades at the Sea Shepherd ship and that is quite a step up from rancid butter.

More spin, it was not rancid butter it was Butyric acid, (from Greek βούτυρος = butter) found in rotten butter, parmesan cheese and vomit

Personally I don't care if they throw live grenades on the Japanese whaling ships and sink them. Scientifically it has been proven that the whales these murderers kill are highly intelligent, social animals that are invaluable to oceanic eco-systems.

It amazes me that Japanese culture: so rooted in honor, respect, and observing the intricacies of nature (just look how they worship cherry blossoms) is so willing to destroy and slaughter animals. The Japanese are one of the world's shining examples of over exploitation of an eco-system. They eat practically anything that swims and take part in practices that are not only un-ethical but in some waters illegal.

It's very hard for me to differentiate the process of killing a whale from killing a human being. Both are intelligent beings that have been proven to have like qualities. Personally I am not shocked that Paul Watson was shot, my guess is that whomever shot him was hoping to kill him. The chance that a Japanese government official would be prosecuted in Japan for killing one of whaling's most active opposer's is unlikely at best.

When the atrocity of whaling ends, ( and it WILL end), if no one is killed or injured,
are any of you that disapprove of SS really going to care how it was ended?
They have not commited any violent actions - yes they are harassing the hell out the
whalers - so what. The Japanese have less than half their quota - again. Boo hoo.
SS are going to be a big biting fly on their aZZ until they give it up. Next year, if it comes
to that, SS will have 2 ships. Imagine that - twice the fun.

Cheers

Yeah but the last time I checked pigs were raised in farms for the sheer purpose of being slaughtered. Also, on the comparison of intelligence I think whales would prove much smarter then pigs. Some scientists have likened whale intelligence to dolphins and some researchers have argued that dolphins may be nearly as intelligent as human beings. Whales on the other hand are endangered species that exist in the open ocean.

Here is the web site of the Japanese Research organization that is killing all the whales (their url is on the side of their ship). The video linked below actually shows better footage of the incident (from the other end of course).
I noticed what looks like a jolly roger that the Sea Shepherd flies. Not exactly the right image to get peace-loving environmentalists (like me) behind them.

Video : http://www.icrwhale.org/eng/080303SS1high.wmv

Web Site: The Institute of Cetacean Research

The jolly roger consist of a sperm whale and a dolphin in a yin yang symbol, with a trident and a shepherds staff. Look a little closer.

The jolly roger consist of a sperm whale and a dolphin in a yin yang symbol, with a trident and a shepherds staff. Look a little closer.
How is this for close
Sea Shepherd Online Store
Yeah.. I think I see a whale in there now.

hat_beanie_200.jpg
shr_032_girls_200.jpg

Since they call it a Jolly Roger, I think the intent is clear.

Well, image is one thing that isn't important to the Sea Shepherds. What's important is their mission. If Blackbeard was on the Steve Irwin sailing with the Sea Shepherds, I'd tip my hat to him.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom