Japanese open fire on Sea Shepherd crew

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Right, the group can only be seen if you are a member of Facebook. Did anybody see the pictures of where they think the shooter was shooting from? It's a spot that is very dark and you wouldn't be able to see the shooter even if you were facing him unless you knew where to look.?

Is the alleged shooter visible in the video, can you see the gun fire?

If the Sea Shepherd's weren't down there doing something, who would? Nobody else is trying to stop the Japanese whalers from illegal activity so why bash the ones that are?

Greenspeace is also down there.

So where is the hole in the jacket? That whole scene was staged. Amazing how the camera was pointed in the right spot just as he "discovers" the bullet. Bullets do not form hollow spheres on impact, a copper jacket maybe, but that was not copper.
Purposely not commenting on the whaling issue. Just looking at the facts regarding the "shooting". My guess if the the impact to the vest truely occurred as reported, would be debris on the deck propelled by the expanding gas from the noise/flash diversion device or distraction devices. Also if those were DDs the bodies are re-useable. I did not see any DD bodies. Several explosions went off in the air between the ships. Looks like the entire devise exploded i.e. firecracker, though a big one.
Again just commenting on the tape, and tape hardly ever shows the whole story.

Actually no, Greenpeace is not down there. They left several weeks ago with no intention of returning. Even when Greenpeace was down there, what were they doing? They follow the action like reporters taking pictures and holding up posters. What exactly does that do to help the whales?

I don't know what to think about the possibility of the shooting being staged. I do know that there is obvious video evidence of the Japanese Coast Guardsmen throwing the flash grenades at the Sea Shepherd ship and that is quite a step up from rancid butter. Of course the Sea Shepherds are at risk of these types of things but that doesn't make these actions just. The Sea Shepherds are down there doing a job that they shouldn't need to be doing. All governments should be taking action, especially Australia, and then this whole situation would be under control. That isn't happening though because the world thrives on money, not always justice.

The Sea Shepherds are down there doing a job that they shouldn't need to be doing.
What job is that? Interfering with boats that are legally catching some whales?

Whether you agree with them or not on moral, ethical, ecological etc grounds, as the agreements stand right now the Japanese aren't doing anything wrong.

Why should they just let anyone throw acid at them and not retaliate in some way?

What do you think would happen if anyone threw this stuff at an American boat? For instance one that was fishing for tuna or something?

Legally catching whales? I'm sorry but what part of hunting whales in a protected sanctuary is legal? Oh wait, this is for science, that's right. That's why they use explosive-tipped harpoons. That way they can scientifically study the whales' insides, the same insides that they have just shredded to catch the whale.

You are using the term "acid" the same way that the whalers are using it. Just because the chemical name for rancid butter includes the word "acid" doesn't mean that the chemical melts flesh on contact. If they were throwing orange juice at the whalers, what would be the difference? There's a big difference between highly corrosive and dangerous acid and rancid butter.

Legally catching whales? I'm sorry but what part of hunting whales in a protected sanctuary is legal?
You should brush up on the Treaty of Antractica. There is no International "protected sanctuary". It's an Australian claim that absolutely no one else recognizes. Sorry.

As for explosive tipped harpoons....the idea is to kill the whale outright to minimize suffering. Would you prefer they used the old methods that left a whale dying for hours, or days?

Until an International body with authority says otherwise, what they are doing is legal. Sure - they're taking advantage of the rules to do it, but that's just the same as any other nation on earth does when they want something.

In fact - there are nations that don't even observe the niceties of International law to get what they want - they just drive unilaterally over anything they want.

Sorry NatureDiver but Kims right..
The japanese whalers might or might not be bending the laws, but as the case is at this moment, they are not breaking any laws. The Sea Sheperd crew however IS by harassing the whalers. If me and Kim started harassing american ships, do you think wed be fortunate enough to get away with flashbangs?
If you stick your hand into a snake pit, you damn well better be prepared to be bit.

Yes, shooting people, if thats the case (and thats yet to be proven) is obviously far over the top, but its also quite much provoked by captain nutjob and his crew.
The first to start using terms like "acid" could be the ones saying they had commenced "chemical warfare" against the whalers. Chemical warfare also violate several intenational laws btw, if they want to start claiming theire on a "war against whaling".

On a side note, was in Greenpece or cpt wingnuts squad that was knocked out of a dingie by the harpoon line because he positioned himself between the shooter and his target?

The whalers are barbaric remnants of a bygone era. I'd like to see them stop whaling but it's hard not to sympathize with them occasionally swatting at the pests who harass them.

The protesters are noisome children playing an aggressive, malicious and dangerous game. They also seem like hysterical drama queens, overplaying their hand. I'd like to see an end to whaling but the tactics of the Sea Shepherd are offensive and remove them from the high moral ground.

Both groups seem to be comprised mostly of idiots and this situation has "bad ending" written all over it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom