Japanese open fire on Sea Shepherd crew

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here is the web site of the Japanese Research organization that is killing all the whales (their url is on the side of their ship). The video linked below actually shows better footage of the incident (from the other end of course).
I noticed what looks like a jolly roger that the Sea Shepherd flies. Not exactly the right image to get peace-loving environmentalists (like me) behind them.

Video : http://www.icrwhale.org/eng/080303SS1high.wmv

Web Site: The Institute of Cetacean Research

Interesting video clip. I see Watson @ pilot house. While many disagree with what SS is doing...they are interfering with the slaughter. Simply observing and gaining ammunition for political negotiations takes time. Loads of time. In the meantime the whalers will take another 1000 whales.

Sometimes you have to take a stand and be ready to fight. Watson has always fought for the underdog. In this case, the whales.

X

p.s. I wear my Jolly Roger hat a lot. Wish someone asked me what the logo meant every once in a while though.

You ever been with a diving operation that sold t-shirts with Jolly Rogers on them? You can't turn any direction in the Caribbean without seeing a Jolly Roger on a t-shirt with some dive-op's name on it. You not going to dive with them because of it?

X - I wear my Jolly Roger proud, it's on my car as well!!
Arimisun, you don't need to educate my about SS, as I am quite informed.
I truly hope to be on one of Capt. Watson ships in Antarctica next year.
(If Japan has the balls to show up again).

You should brush up on the Treaty of Antractica. There is no International "protected sanctuary". It's an Australian claim that absolutely no one else recognizes. Sorry.
Actually New Zealand recognizes this treaty (In fact I think only Japan, Norway and Iceland DONT recognize it) and seeing as they are whaling in our backyard I am starting to get a little pissed. If they want to hunt whales they can go back to Japan and hunt whales...leave ours alone.

You ever been with a diving operation that sold t-shirts with Jolly Rogers on them? You can't turn any direction in the Caribbean without seeing a Jolly Roger on a t-shirt with some dive-op's name on it. You not going to dive with them because of it?
Not my point. Skull & Crossbones everywhere in the Carribean is frivolous use. This use does not seem to be the same. Nothing about this is frivolous.
Hey, I'm for the whales; they really do need our support. But seems to me a flag with a whale on it might be a better way to identify yourself. Just my POV.
Anyway, the main intent of the post was to point out the other website with, of course, their POV (not mine!)

Not my point. Skull & Crossbones everywhere in the Carribean is frivolous use. This use does not seem to be the same. Nothing about this is frivolous.
Hey, I'm for the whales; they really do need our support. But seems to me a flag with a whale on it might be a better way to identify yourself. Just my POV.
Anyway, the main intent of the post was to point out the other website with, of course, their POV (not mine!)

SS has better video on their site. Oh yeah a flag with a BIGGER whale on it would
make all the difference. The Jolly Roger is just WAY too scary.

Here is what Captain Paul Watson of the Sea Shepherd Conservation Society says about the flag they fly.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Confessions of a Modern Southern Oceans Pirate

“Yes I am a pirate,
200 years too late,
The cannons don’t’ thunder, there’s nothing to plunder
I’m an over forty victim of fate.”
– Jimmy Buffet

By Captain Paul Watson

“Shiver me timbers boys and girls, we is awash in a sea of pirates down here.”

The Southern Oceans, specifically in the area formally known as the Australian Antarctic Territory, now rivals the 17th Century Caribbean for the reported acts of piracy during the last two weeks.

The Japanese whalers are accusing Sea Shepherd and Greenpeace crewmembers of being pirates. Sea Shepherd and Greenpeace are accusing the whalers of being pirates. Australian and New Zealand politicians are throwing the word piracy about as freely as the Governor of Jamaica once did a few hundred years ago.

Forget about going to Disneyland to see Pirates of the Caribbean. We now have the new, improved Pirates of the Southern Oceans.

No one has actually sunk any ships, looted any cargos, kidnapped any damsels or forced anyone to walk the plank yet, but to listening to the rhetoric, the public can be forgiven from thinking these activities are about to happen.

My ship the Farley Mowat does fly a modern version of the “pretty red” or “jolie rouge,” the original name of the banner that evolved years ago into the black and white skull and crossbones which came to be known as the Jolly Roger.

We decided years ago that if people were going to be silly and call us pirates we would adopt our own Jolly Roger. Thus we designed the crossed Neptune Trident and Shepherd’s staff with the skull. Set in the skull are a whale and dolphin in a yin yang design.

As soon as we hoisted that black flag, kids from around the world began to write us in support. Our Jolly Roger hats and shirts have become our most popular merchandise.

Why? Because there is a romance of piracy that is separate from the reality of piracy. Some pirates were great heroes and some were dastardly villains.

Back in the 17th Century it was not the British Navy that shut down piracy in the Caribbean. They and the British politicians were not interested. Captain Horatio Nelson was actually sued by British merchants for attempting to shut down piracy. There was simply too much money in the form of bribery and collusion to motivate more than an appearance of addressing the problem.

Piracy was finally shut down on the Spanish Main by the pirate Henry Morgan. It took a pirate to end piracy. His reward was that he was appointed Governor of Jamaica where he was able to pilfer more booty through politics than he ever did from the deck of a ship.

There are pirates of profit like the Japanese, pirates of opportunity like the politicians, and pirates of compassion like Sea Shepherd.

It is a little difficult to cast Sea Shepherd unpaid volunteers selflessly and legally trying to save the lives of whales as ruthless pirates. On the other hand, the Japanese whalers are illegally stealing and killing whales from a Sanctuary for whales and from the territory that is supposed to under the authority of Australia.

Which brings us to the motivation of those pirates in Canberra? What is in it for them that they consistently refuse to protect Australian territory from illegal foreign exploitation?

The answer is the same for Australian politicians today as it was for British politicians in 1650 – there’s money to be made, under the table and through the back door, trade agreements to consider and after all, some pirates especially the Japanese, have good public relations firms and powerful financial backing.

So, we have Australia backing the bad pirates and condemning the good pirates.

But piracy has a long list of renowned and admirable practitioners. It was the pirate John Paul Jones who founded both the navies of the United States and Russia. It was the pirate Jean LaFitte who stood with General Andrew Jackson in defense of New Orleans. It was the pirate Francis Drake who was knighted by Queen Elizabeth I.

So, I stand in honorable company as a modern day pirate. I’ve not shot anyone, burned any ships, looted any cargos, kidnapped anyone, nor do I drink rum and carry a parrot on my shoulder for that matter.

What I do is defend the whales from the illegal slaughter by ruthless and merciless killers of whales. If people want to call me a pirate for that than blow me down buckos, I’m proud to be a damn pirate.

Yo ho!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey Kim,
Can we get you to translate this to English?

http://www.icrwhale.org/eng/080303SS1high.wmv

I understand some bits here and there from having studied it when I went abroad, but the robotic message gets in the way of my understanding the "harder" vocabulary. I'm better at Spanish, but I'll give it a "go."

The guy speaking is relatively calm and is describing distances from the ship, greetings of some sort, conditions, jumping/climbing about (?) who he sees on the Steve Irwin, stopping etc.

X

X

Back
Top Bottom