Japanese open fire on Sea Shepherd crew

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'll can claim the whales as my own too. They're migratory, and I have a vested interest in them. What stops me from trying to protect them? The whalers are out of their local territory, and hunting on a shallow premise.

Whatever issues you have with anthropomorphism, people know very little about whales in general. So, until someone can actually step into their brain and live their lives they (in my book) can qualify as "smart."

X

oh but they are smart in my book too. But pigs can be trained and are smart too.

But I dont claim them as my own. You know, for 12 years, since he was 6 weeks old, a dog was our companion. All these years, I never claimed him as "mine" or "my own". Nature is not ours, we are part of nature. Just like the whales.

You know a lot about this huh?

Actually - the Japanese are probably among the best in the world at maintaining marine resources at sustainable levels. They've been fishing their coastal waters for centuries - and still happily do so today. Do you think that would be possible if they had "over-exploited" anything - such as The US and Europe have done in the N.Atlantic and the N.Sea?

Considering it was also American & European whaling fleets that decimated the whale populations to start with, it's pretty easy for me to understand the Japanese viewpoint that they're being preached at by a bunch of hypocrites.

yeah, westerners did screw the great bank. but cod are not intelligent, smart or cudly creatures so who really cares (insert sarcasm here). Surely not cappy wacko and his dingding bunch.

oh but they are smart in my book too. But pigs can be trained and are smart too.

But I dont claim them as my own. You know, for 12 years, since he was 6 weeks old, a dog was our companion. All these years, I never claimed him as "mine" or "my own". Nature is not ours, we are part of nature. Just like the whales.

Where in my post did I mention our porcine friends? BTW - My work with the USDA opened my eyes about our swine pals - smart, not to mention deadly in certain circumstances (sows).

Where in my post did I mention our porcine friends? BTW - My work with the USDA opened my eyes about our swine pals - smart, not to mention deadly in certain circumstances (sows).

Off thread but - As per our doggie friends, I don't consider them as mine either. Part of the family. The bad thing here when I visit shelters I see that s HUGE number of folks think of them as disposable, and without deep feelings.

X

you didn't, I did :wink:

If we dont accept the legal hunting of whales only because they are smart, then maybe we should not accept the "slavery" (notice the anthropomorphic term here) and slaughter of smart pigs. But then, we would not have bacon.

mmmmMMMMMMmmmmm, baaaacoooonnnnnnnn......:D

Off thread but - As per our doggie friends, I don't consider them as mine either. Part of the family. The bad thing here when I visit shelters I see that s HUGE number of folks think of them as disposable, and without deep feelings.

X

I have an in-law like that. She gets a dog, keeps him for a year or two, gets fed up of him and puts him back at the shelter. 5 weeks after, she gets another one and the cycle continues. :shakehead: what a shame.

I don't want to interrupt the debate over who owns what oceans etc..... But I would like to know how many people believe that the Nisshin Maru was conducting research as would be indicated by the banner and on their ship??

Here is a link to the "research" website
iàj“ú–{Œ~—ÞŒ¤‹†Š

There is an option for English version once you click the link.
Oh......they are definitely conducting research - they actually publish the results of it.

I don't think that that's their entire motivation though - they're just doing what everyone else does in other areas and exploiting a loop-hole so that they can do what they want.

They don't see anything wrong with sustainable whaling, and they don't think anyone else has the right to tell them what they can eat....it's that simple.

Sorry mate. You don't just get to claim a stretch of ocean thousands of miles away as somehow belonging to you.
We don't claim it our own...just that it is our backyard, next door neighbour...etc
Why cant Japan go whaling in its own backyard?
These whales often migrate through our territorial waters and I have often had the pleasure of seeing them when I lived in Wellington...and I want my children to be able to see them as well.

you didn't, I did :wink:

If we dont accept the legal hunting of whales only because they are smart, then maybe we should not accept the "slavery" (notice the anthropomorphic term here) and slaughter of smart pigs. But then, we would not have bacon.

mmmmMMMMMMmmmmm, baaaacoooonnnnnnnn......:D

Eric...just to stay on topic...anthropomorphism is only a small detail associated with this hunt and anti-whaling activism. As an anti-whaling advocate I saw the gamut. The individuals who ran very much to the fringe, never stayed long.

I'm not into calling whales cute, but at the same time I am not into sham premise to hunt a roving resource that no one wants to eat. BTW - sorry about the dogs. I cannot see how any one would do that to our furry pals. My dog came from the pound. He was dumped on the streets.

X

Eric...just to stay on topic...anthropomorphism is only a small detail associated with this hunt and anti-whaling activism. As an anti-whaling advocate I saw the gamut. The individuals who ran very much to the fringe, never stayed long.

I'm not into calling whales cute, but at the same time I am not into sham premise to hunt a roving resource that no one wants to eat. BTW - sorry about the dogs. I cannot see how any one would do that to our furry pals. My dog came from the pound. He was dumped on the streets.

X

I was not talking about you Mr X.

what'S a gamut?

My dog was a good old crossed breed with no "pure race" certificate but with a hearth of gold. I miss his company and faithfulness.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom