Jan 21, GoPro lost at Columbia Deep

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Based on the number of Go Pro cameras lost on dives, I am starting to suspect that Go Pro has built a quick release mechanism into the camera which can be remotely operated from Go Pro HQ whenever a camera is being used underwater -- what a clever marketing scheme to boost sales! Seriously, are Go Pro users genetically incapable of hanging on to their cameras?

Insurance costs money. Most people do not lose everything they buy. Most people do not think they will lose anything. Insurance is for when you cannot afford a potential loss.

That said, my gf lost her brand new GoPro silver 4 on the first day in Coz a little over a year ago, and was able to get reimbursed from her credit card about six weeks and several forms later.

Seriously, are Go Pro users genetically incapable of hanging on to their cameras?
Oh, we see many camera losses. I never lost one, but many do - usually newbies who should be learning to dive better instead I think. Dang it, people, get them insured or eat your losses.

Insurance costs money. Most people do not lose everything they buy. Most people do not think they will lose anything. Insurance is for when you cannot afford a potential loss.
"Help me! I bought a $1,000 camera so I couldn't afford insurance." Yeah right...!!

Not much really. Have you checked? Even State Farms stand alone Personal Articles policy is cheap. Forget DAN gear insurance or the other specialty carriers; call you homeowner/rental agent. I don't know about the percentages, but many do whine when they lose.

But then, many whine when they lose their camera or phone with stored pics because they were too lazy to back them up. I think lack of effort is the key on many.

Last edited:
How much is "not much really"? Is there a deductible? And a GoPro isn't going to cost $1000 unless you're including lights. It should be pretty obvious that premiums paid exceed claims paid else the policy wouldn't be available.

How much is "not much really"? Is there a deductible?
Rates vary. You'll have to make some calls. State Farms PAP is rather cheap really. Deductibles are far less than full cost.

Rates vary. You'll have to make some calls. State Farms PAP is rather cheap really. Deductibles are far less than full cost.

Rather cheap really? Can you give a few examples? Surely you have some amounts in mind to label them "not much" and "rather cheap".

Rather cheap really? Can you give a few examples? Surely you have some amounts in mind to label them "not much" and "rather cheap".
I'd need more information on you to make your phone calls.

I cannot remember that far back but I once insured some things on a State Farm PAP - then had a bad year. I remember thinking the rates were amazingly cheap - including dive cameras, then I was impressed and how easy the claims went thru and how well they paid - like a laptop ruined by a lightening strike, which most homeowners policies wouldn't include. The payouts were reasonably generous. And at the end of my bad year, they dropped me for excessive claims - which I can't blame them for, but I came out so much ahead.

If you want to keep claiming they are expensive without checking, that's your problem. I will continue to suggest that camera owners at least call to check rates and terms on their homeowners/renters insurance and State Farm PAP.

My lost camera was covered in my homeowners insurance without an additional rider and fee. I had a $250.00 deductible and was paid quickly. With that money, I decided to go with a GoPro and after several dive trips, I still have it!
My premium did not go up the following year.

My lost camera was covered in my homeowners insurance without an additional rider and fee. I had a $250.00 deductible and was paid quickly. With that money, I decided to go with a GoPro and after several dive trips, I still have it!
My premium did not go up the following year.
I'll be that varies a lot with policies, but it's always good to check. :mad: (We need more smilies on this new board)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom