Jan 21, GoPro lost at Columbia Deep

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GoPros are so cheap now that there is no conceivable policy that could save you money. Just buy a new one, insurance is always a scam if it isn't health/life/home.

GoPros are so cheap now that there is no conceivable policy that could save you money. Just buy a new one, insurance is always a scam if it isn't health/life/home.
Oh, I have seen some medical, life, and homeowners policies that really sucked.
angry-smiley-022.gif

One the other hand, your home policy may cover your camera, at no extra charge - maybe, as Judy mentioned earlier here. Big deductible perhaps, but the payout is still possible.
cheeky-smiley-026.gif

It's worth a couple of phone calls to check rates and terms on a homeowner/renter rider, and on a State Farm PAP.
jumping-smiley-016.gif

Now, I do not currently insure any of my cameras, computers, etc. I take precautions that some don't, but if I lost one - I'd eat the loss without asking divers to look for it as I know that's generally futile. And I did want to try out my alternate smilie source.
grinning-smiley-003.gif

I think it's rare anymore that you can make any claim on any insurance and not end up paying back the insurance company through the increases that they make to your premiums due to filling a claim. Seems insurance anymore is only there for catastrophic losses.

I can see somebody filing a loss claim for a $150 gopro on their homeowners and then end up paying the insurance company back $400 over the course of your premium increases they will assess.

Probably be a lot smarter to invest in a $5.00 wrist strap for a gopro than insurance for it.

For the GoPro itself, I'd agree. But when you add in lenses, trays, light$ (especially lights), etc. you can still get up in the thousands of dollars.

If you can get it covered under an existing policy without increasing rates or getting dropped, great. Also as I mentioned earlier, your credit card may cover it for a period of time under it's loss protection coverage.

Sadly, I think most GoPros found are simply kept under the "finders keepers" mentality. There seem to be GoPro's reported lost here every other week and is probably the tip of the iceberg actually lost yet seldom do you hear of a happy ending. Since DMs generally take their divers over the same "trails", I don't think there are dozens of GoPros down there going unnoticed. Also sadly, I think many of these "finders" are the DMs who typically are in the front and best at spotting things.

Probably be a lot smarter to invest in a $5.00 wrist strap for a gopro than insurance for it.

Actually, I think those $5 wrist straps are one of the primary culprits behind lost GoPros. Most of the time it seems the person who lost it doesn't know exactly when they lost it. At some point during the dive or when they get back on the boat, they realize it's no longer there. If it's in your hands, you'll know it when it slips out. A weak clip is worse than no clip at all, IMO.

For the GoPro itself, I'd agree. But when you add in lenses, trays, light$ (especially lights), etc. you can still get up in the thousands of dollars..

Now that's where I always scratch my head, anybody investing thousands into lights and lenses for a gopro, the first thoughts I would have is now why didn't you just spend a bit more and get a real video camera set up if you're going to spend that much on the rest of the stuff??? You've got all that money in everything else and you're shooting with a point and shoot disposable camera?

Actually, I think those $5 wrist straps are one of the primary culprits behind lost GoPros. Most of the time it seems the person who lost it doesn't know exactly when they lost it. At some point during the dive or when they get back on the boat, they realize it's no longer there. If it's in your hands, you'll know it when it slips out. A weak clip is worse than no clip at all, IMO.
Okay, maybe better off with the $6.00 wrist strap

Now that's where I always scratch my head, anybody investing thousands into lights and lenses for a gopro, the first thoughts I would have is now why didn't you just spend a bit more and get a real video camera set up if you're going to spend that much on the rest of the stuff??? You've got all that money in everything else and you're shooting with a point and shoot disposable camera?
It's not the GoPros affordability that makes it so attractive. It's its size. Larger cameras can become a problem.

Back
Top Bottom