Jacket Style BCD Recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rick Murchison once bubbled...
But if you want to second guess me or tell me I ought to do it differently... well.. I ain't interested.
Rick

Man, and people those strict DIR guys are static and unwilling to change...

:wink:

jonnythan once bubbled...
Man, and people those strict DIR guys are static and unwilling to change...
:wink:
Yeah, I suppose I should have included that I ain't interested in tellin' anyone else they ought to do it my way either. I have my reasons and I'm willing to share them. And I'm willing to listen to others and weigh their reasoning - that is, after all, how I ended up with all those BC's...
There are folks who claim all you need to work on a car is a crescent wrench, a pair of pliers and two screwdrivers, too - and that's fine so long as it's their car they're workin' on - but I prefer a full toolbox.
Rick :)

In 73 F fresh water,
Aluminum 80 tank;
Halcyon SS backplate, SS STA and 36# pioneer wing;
3 mil full wetsuit plus 3/2 shortie wetsuit plus 2 mil beanie;
I was about 1# or 2# overweight with no lead at all.

Note that in salt water in a 3 mil full suit and the TP2 I need about 9# or 10# of lead to be neutral with 700 psi and an aluminum 80.

I'll admit most of my diving is in fairly cold water. Given that I don't use and would not even think about using anything other than a bp/wing.

99% if not 99.9% of the divers I see are oriented head up foot down. They leave a discusting trail of silt behind. I am including instructors here. The problem is what happens when the suit compresses and your suddenly overweighted and you put air in the bc. The weight being lower than the buoyancy simply stands you up.

There are things that can be done to get trimmed with the jacket but not many do or even know what to do.

The back plate puts part of the weight where you need it. That might not be enough so it is easy to use a chanel weight.

I warm water with a thin or nonexistant suit this isn't as much of an issue unless one is overweighted. However let me assure you that it takes imagination to rig a jacket to get you horizantal when wearing a 7 mil suit.

Then there is the matter of streamlining. Some don't care...ok

Then there is the comfort of having the tank stable on the back as apposed to loose and floppy.

I even use one in the pool with no suit (sometimes) and have not experienced any discomfort.

Except for sidemounting I will never choose anything but a bp. I hate bc's

From reading many of the replies on this board when people ask
for advice on jacket style BC's (like the question that started this current thread), I'm surprised at how many anti-jacket style replies pop up before anyone asks the person what kind of diving they plan to do.

I'm a very new diver and, after having done a lot of research (a big thank you goes out to the members of this board), I've decided that I am going to get a bp/wings setup. However, because my desire is to also become an instructor, it has been strongly recommended that I also get a jacket style, as that is what students will be learning with, so it makes sense for the instructor so have the same type. In addition, when I take the Rescue Diver course, it will be advantageous to have a jacket style so my partner (who will more than likely be someone I meet on that particular dive trip) will be able to get me out of it (that probably isn't the best reason to get a jacket style if that was the only reason). When I was talking with my instructor about my decision to get a wing, she was all for it (she has one, too), but since she knew that I also wanted to instruct, she gave her suggestion that I might want to get a jacket first (since I still don't have my own gear).

My point is, apart from the fact that there are too many negative replies of a personal nature (it seems that deep down, many of the replies attack the person's choice if they decide on anything but wings), we should be asking what kind of diving an individual plans on doing before making suggestions. I noticed one person on this board do that (boomx5)...kudos to that member!

That's just my observation. It's important to find out what kind of diving someone plans on doing before immediately recommending, or dismissing, a certain type of equipment. No one type is good for all diving. Thanks for listening. :)

Mark

Hi, and welcome, Mark!

mth71 wrote...
My point is, apart from the fact that there are too many negative replies of a personal nature (it seems that deep down, many of the replies attack the person's choice if they decide on anything but wings), we should be asking what kind of diving an individual plans on doing before making suggestions. I noticed one person on this board do that (boomx5)...kudos to that member!
As one of the principal respondents on this thread, I don't think I really fit into your characterization above. I'm simply offering my experiences with jackets and BPs as a basic recreational diver.

I'm not bashing anyone else's choices per se, but what I am doing is getting information on other options to new divers who might find themselves in the same circumstances as I did, as well as point out what I see as flaws in the jacket style.

Hey, the more info out there to help make an informed decision, the better... no matter which you happen to settle on.

:)

mth71 once bubbled...
From reading many of the replies on this board when people ask
for advice on jacket style BC's (like the question that started this current thread), I'm surprised at how many anti-jacket style replies pop up before anyone asks the person what kind of diving they plan to do.

I'm a very new diver and, after having done a lot of research (a big thank you goes out to the members of this board), I've decided that I am going to get a bp/wings setup. However, because my desire is to also become an instructor, it has been strongly recommended that I also get a jacket style, as that is what students will be learning with, so it makes sense for the instructor so have the same type. In addition, when I take the Rescue Diver course, it will be advantageous to have a jacket style so my partner (who will more than likely be someone I meet on that particular dive trip) will be able to get me out of it (that probably isn't the best reason to get a jacket style if that was the only reason). When I was talking with my instructor about my decision to get a wing, she was all for it (she has one, too), but since she knew that I also wanted to instruct, she gave her suggestion that I might want to get a jacket first (since I still don't have my own gear).

That's just my observation. It's important to find out what kind of diving someone plans on doing before immediately recommending, or dismissing, a certain type of equipment. No one type is good for all diving. Thanks for listening. :)

Mark

I guess I don't have anything good to say about a jacket. I don't use them for anykind of diving. Others will disagree and that is the way of the world but I don't see where the type of diving matters beyond what I said before "A jacket can almost be made to work if you need very little additional weight".

I teach in a bp

When it comes to getting students horizontal (correct trim) you just can't beat a bp. Other Instructors put their students in jackets but you just don't see many students or instructors who are horizontal. Something to think about.

I have to say that I agree with mth71 completely. Some of the backplate types around here (DIR or otherwise) are a bit too convinced that they have found the one size fits all, perfect solution for all divers. My advice to those know-at-alls is to go out on a dive boat someplace like Coz or Grand Cayman and one by one tell each diver (because you will be the only one with a backplate) that their gear sucks. Then, hope that you are able to swim back to shore.

leadweight wrote...
My advice to those know-at-alls is to go out on a dive boat someplace like Coz or Grand Cayman and one by one tell each diver (because you will be the only one with a backplate) that their gear sucks. Then, hope that you are able to swim back to shore.
That's not the same as asking for advice on a scuba website, and you bloody well know it.

Why do you have a problem with other options being presented and debated?

What problem with other options? mth71's point is that no one even asks what the BC will be used for before recommending a BP like that was the only thing that works under the water for anyone. Let me tell you, if you told my wife to pitch her Scubapro jacket for a backplate she would look at you like you were just as nuts as if you told her to buy a submarine. Fortunately, she knows what would happen if she asked around here about what to do. And I guarantee that I would not say a word to her about getting a Transpac (my rig) unless she told me that is what she wanted.

To put it another way, how different does the option have to be before it is off topic? For the BP owners it never is, and that is where I disagree. Sometimes, I think we should split this BC thingie into "Backplates" and everything else that can hold a tank on your back.

As for the internet being different than a dive boat, it is, and I know where I would rather be.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom