Jacket Style BCD Recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

metridium once bubbled...

Ask yourself how you would enjoy a 120' site on a low-end reg that breathes hard and wet, vs. a high-quality reg that lets you focus on your dive instead of your breathing.

Okay, I asked myself...but we were talking about a jacket BC that you complained of "feeling like you were swimming around in it" (probably was too big) and a jacket BC that was "squeezing" you too tight on the surface (probably was too tight), not a regulator. I never used a regulator as an analog.

Why can't you admit that you would have fun diving in a Jacket BC that was neither too tight or too loose?

That is the problem I have with DIR people (I don't even know if you are one). They are so intractable that they can't admit to being able to enjoy diving with less than "Right" gear configurations.

I would not have fun diving with ANY regulator that made it hard too breath. Sixteen times a minute I would be having difficulty do a basic life support activity...breathing.

But I would still have fun using a plastic garbage bag for a BC. While underwater with a bad reg I am thinking, "I can't breath...this sucks" While underwater with a loose BC I am thinking, "Hmm this is kinda loose oh well...wow look at that Manta Ray!" While on the surface with a BC that was "squeezing me" I would say, "I guess I should let a little air out. What a great dive I just had!!"

See the difference? I consider a regulators performance a little more critical to my underwater state of mind and survival...but that's just me. I kind of crazy that way.

Come on...admit that if you were diving in the Caymans (or name your favorite place) with a good regulator and a BC that was "too tight on the surface" or "too loose underwater", you would have a big grin on your face while on your surface interval. I'll even throw in a shark sighting and bikini clad deck hands for free.

Come on say it "That would be FUN!!"

The truth will set you free!!!

:D

Mouth Breather once bubbled...
Okay, I asked myself...but we were talking about a jacket BC that you complained of "feeling like you were swimming around in it" (probably was too big) and a jacket BC that was "squeezing" you too tight on the surface (probably was too tight), not a regulator. I never used a regulator as an analog.
You didn't; I did. Both are functioning within specs, but in both cases, the unit more optimized for the conditions makes the dive significantly more enjoyable.

Why can't you admit that you would have fun diving in a Jacket BC that was neither too tight or too loose?
Possibly because I haven't found one?

That is the problem I have with DIR people (I don't even know if you are one). They are so intractable that they can't admit to being able to enjoy diving with less than "Right" gear configurations.
I'm not DIR; probably never will be. I dive a semidemihemi Hogarthian rig, but only beginning this year. I've been diving backplates for five years, so this isn't a DIR or technical issue. I'm simply a rec diver who found something better than the trashbags he was trained in.

See the difference? I consider a regulators performance a little more critical to my underwater state of mind and survival...but that's just me. I kind of crazy that way
Evidently, because we're discussing comfort and enjoyment, not survival. :)

Come on...admit that if you were diving in the Caymans (or name your favorite place) with a good regulator and a BC that was "too tight on the surface" or "too loose underwater", you would have a big grin on your face while on your surface interval. I'll even throw in a shark sighting and bikini clad deck hands for free.
Thought I covered this in my previous post.

Sea Quest Pro QD+.

They sell a lot over here. Great quality. Good value for money and very comfortable.

Hope you guys know you just sold me on the SeaQuest Pro QD with all the good feedback on it.For me I feel better in a jacket but who knows,that may change with alot more dives under the belt.(diver in training and don't plan to stop)

Jen :wink:

I use a back inflate Scubapro, but the Seaquest Pro QD jacket is very well made and comfortable both under water and on the surface. Don't believe the HUMORLESS, OBSTINATE, EXTREMISTS, that can't even admit to the "possibility" of having a fun dive while wearing a well made jacket style BC.

NOTE TO HUMORLESS, OBSTINATE, EXTREMISTS: I really like BP/wings setups...I am in the process of selecting one for the 10% of the time I tech dive. But for 90% percent of my dives I can use any back inflate or jacket BC and have FUN diving anyway. Imagine that!

:wink:

And in the end a good choice. The Pro-QD is an excellent jacket - my bet is you'll like it and use it for many years.
E. itajara

Pentiumchick,

When you are at the LDS to try on the Seaquest jacket, you might want to also try on the Seaquest Diva, just to see which has a better fit. I know a lot of lady divers who love the Diva. Don't get hung up on features, go with the jacket that fits best, be it Pro QD, Diva or whatever.

Sherwood Avid BCD. Tried that one and LOVED it has so many ways to make it fit better.Ok so it wasn't the girlie model but it was the one I liked.My LDS makes most of it's income from classes and boat dives so guy even told me to look for it online but then both me and my husband are taking classes hubby to divemaster me to maybe the same.Feel kinda guilty getting my BCD first but that will teach him to go play GI Joe for 3 weeks. :wink:

Jen

Mouth Breather wrote...
NOTE TO HUMORLESS, OBSTINATE, EXTREMISTS: I really like BP/wings setups...I am in the process of selecting one for the 10% of the time I tech dive. But for 90% percent of my dives I can use any back inflate or jacket BC and have FUN diving anyway. Imagine that!
So let me get this straight...

...you're buying yet another BC to address the failings of your old one...

...instead of getting a BP which you could have been using for both FUN diving and tech diving all this time?

So you're paying roughly TWICE what I did for the exact same capability?

I think I'd much rather put that money toward some FUN diving, but that's just me.

:rolleyes:

Who says I'm humorless....

just because I'm not laughing with ya?

:D :D :D

metridium once bubbled...
So let me get this straight...

...you're buying yet another BC to address the failings of your old one...

...instead of getting a BP which you could have been using for both FUN diving and tech diving all this time?

So you're paying roughly TWICE what I did for the exact same capability?

Hmmm...did you think the "humorless, obstinate, exremists" refered to you? I don't think I mentioned you in the post.
Well if the BP fits....

I think I made it pretty clear that I really like a BP if I'm diving doubles or wearing a thick wetsuit...but for the warm water diving I do I rarely wear more than a skin. And I found the BP less comfortable than a back inflate or jacket BC on bare skin. But still had fun on the dive.

"It is a poor craftsman that blames his tools"

Frank Lloyd Wright

Unlike you, I can have fun with virtually any safe gear combination. Maybe one has to be a pretty good diver to negate any real or perceived shortcomings in gear. I have a feeling Barry Bonds has a favorite Loiusville Slugger, but could have fun playing baseball with just about any bat. (And no...I'm not the Barry Bonds of diving...more like the Jose Canseco)

We keep going round and round on this...I don't doubt that you prefer only to dive with a BP no matter what the dive conditions.
Good for you. But I can't understand people of your ilk that can't even admit to the possibility of having a good dive with anything other than a BP. I'm consider myself a good enough diver not to let any safe gear detract from the FUN of my dive. Are you?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom