Jacket Style BCD Recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Mares Vector 1000 is the best I have used, done about 1000 dives in mine and love it , used by most navies around the world as there preferred jacket BCD for Scuba.

http://www.mares.com

BTW the Oceanic Probe is also back-inflation same as your current Tusa

I agree with metridium, you wont like the jacket style after using a back bc. If you HAVE to go to jacket, ive heard good things of the tusa platina evolution.

SeaQuest ProQD+

I am far from being an expert in this area but I wanted to reply. My dive buddy and I tried a back inflation BCD from Dive Rite while we were doing our open water certification and with our limited experience in diving and buoyancy control I have to say that it was much easier using the back inflation style over the jacket style. Took a little while getting used to while on the surface though.

Someone posts that they have a back inflate BC, wants to switch to a jacket, and would like to know which jackets are best. The always helpful internet community responds with "don't get a jacket." Perhaps is a permanent case of nitrogen narcosis going around on the net. The way I see it, is if someone has tried back bouyancy and did not like it, they had a reason to not like it, and switching back to a jacket is a valid thing to do. After all, most divers are hapily using their jacket BC's, swimming around safely enjoying the underwater world without a care about what a couple of people on the internet (or Florida cave divers) think.

That said, get a Scubapro jacket because these are the most durable. Just ask anyone who rents the stuff. They have different models at different prices, get what fits your budget and your body. The other alternative is to find something on sale in a LDS that fits well and don't worry too much about what brand it is. It isn't magic. Just something to hold a tank on your back, take a few puffs of air to offset the effect of depth on your wetsuit, and keep your head above water while waiting for the boat.

Back
Top Bottom