Jacket Style BCD Recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mouth Breather wrote...
Good...you admit to using words like "fool, ignorant, BS, and pathetic." How does one use words like that and not be negative? People like you always try to justify using words like that.
"Fool"? Doesn't even turn up in the archives. As predicted, you just blow off your mistakes and charge ahead making new ones.

Mouth Breather wrote...
I just happen to believe that once someone has made a decision about what is best for them, they don't want to be subjected this type of condescending reply...
Then they shouldn't make comments like "Don't believe the HUMORLESS, OBSTINATE, EXTREMISTS, that can't even admit to the "possibility" of having a fun dive while wearing a well made jacket style BC." in the first place, now should they?

The gloves didn't come off until after you made that intentionally insulting comment. And now you're crying about the injustice of me responding?

I'm even man enough to admit I shouldn't have let that get to me, and apologize for it. In fact, I did just that in a recent post.

Shame you can't say the same.

Do everyone else a favor and take this to PM.

metridium once blathered...
"Fool"? Doesn't even turn up in the archives. As predicted, you just blow off your mistakes and charge ahead making new ones.

So many insults you can't keep track of them all? Was the Mark Twain quote about "fools" for me or for you?

metridium once blathered...
Then they shouldn't make comments like "Don't believe the HUMORLESS, OBSTINATE, EXTREMISTS, that can't even admit to the "possibility" of having a fun dive while wearing a well made jacket style BC." in the first place, now should they?

The gloves didn't come off until after you made that intentionally insulting comment. And now you're crying about the injustice of me responding?

That truly wasn't directed at you...it was directed at anyone who failed to display a sense of humor, anyone who was obstinate, anyone who was an extremist, or anyone who can't admit to having a fun dive while wearing a jacket BC.

metridium once bubbled...
I'm even man enough to admit I shouldn't have let that get to me, and apologize for it. In fact, I did just that in a recent post.

Shame you can't say the same.

I apologize if I implied you were a "fool", called you "pathetic", described your opinion as "BS", or used the word "ignorant"...Oh wait a minute...it was YOU that descended to that level of language...never mind!

metridium once bubbled...
Do everyone else a favor and take this to PM.

Since there seem to be more people annoyed with your manner of expressing an opinion(in this thread and others) than with mine...you would be the one doing US a favor.

Speaking of archives...I found similar "back and forth" drawn out arguements between you and SeaJay, you and WCH (sp), and a number of others on this board. They pretty much start the same way. Someone saying they didn't think the BP was for them and you saying it was.

If the 90-whatever database entries that comprise this thread encourage a diver who thought "Backplates are too technical or uncomfortable for me" to try one and actually determine for themselves, rather than relying on the LDS' Jacket O' The Day, then its worth it.

This board and a couple of others can take a lot of responsibility for the increase in popularity of back inflate BCDs, and BP/Wings in the dive community, otherwise people would still consider them "too technical" or "uncomfortable" and wouldn't give them a try. And that would be sad.

So, since you and Met have done your level best to make everyone aware of the choices available for keeping you from walking on the bottom and/or floundering on the surface, I'd like to thank you both.

Mouth Breather once bubbled...

Speaking of archives...I found similar "back and forth" drawn out arguements between you and SeaJay, you and WCH (sp), and a number of others on this board. They pretty much start the same way. Someone saying they didn't think the BP was for them and you saying it was.

I agree with you Fetch...open honest discourse is always good. I just go bonkers when I see very extreme intractable opinions passed off as gospel. Essentially I hear the Jacket and Back Inflate crowd saying "Find something you like, BP, Jacket, Back Inflate etc. then dive A LOT." Become a good safe diver that way. Then they see a few BP users (not all of them mind you) that have fairly extreme opinions (I define extreme as those who try to convince people who are very happy with jacket and Back Inflates to switch, and when they won't, get very condescending. Or worse, those won't even allow the possibility of having "fun" with anything but a BP)

I am a horrible golfer because I golf about 4-6 times a year. I kept buying new "wonder clubs" to improve my game until I gave my old "starter set" to a pro to hit and he crushed the ball...long and straight. Maybe it's not the best analogy but I think we all get too hung up on gear choices in almost any activity in this country.

By the way I DO NOT consider BP/Wings only a "Tech" setup. If you like BP Wings for 60 foot shore dives in the tropics then I'm happy for you and won't try to poo poo your decision.

I got this response after already saying I like Back Inflate for my single tank dives and will get a BP/Wing for double tanks.

A BP/Wings Diver once bubbled...
So let me get this straight...

...you're buying yet another BC to address the failings of your old one...

...instead of getting a BP which you could have been using for both FUN diving and tech diving all this time?

So you're paying roughly TWICE what I did for the exact same capability?

I think I'd much rather put that money toward some FUN diving, but that's just me.

:rolleyes:

Who says I'm humorless....

just because I'm not laughing with ya?

Rick Murchison once bubbled...

Most folks are concerned about touching the back of their head with the first stage and as a result rig their tank far too low on the BC. If you can't reach the valve and turn it when in the water you're wearing the tank too low. Frankly, if I can't tilt my head back and touch the first stage I've rigged the tank too low for me. (Dry suits & doubles are another matter - we're talkin' warm water diving here) The loops I've seen will allow an 80 to ride high enough, but if you use an 8" diameter tank yes, the loop should often be tucked out of the way and the BC positioned so that the tank valve can be easily reached while wearing it. Some loops (like on the Transpac II) are adjustable and designed to be set as you like it.
Rick

Thanks for the background Rick. In all the jacket BC's I've used that had the tank loop I've been able to touch the back of my head to the first stage reg and I've been able to reach the K-valve for cranking. However - I'm sure this isn't the only key of the earlier posts regarding tank position. Isn't the point related primary to trim? Can you tell me more about this goal regading tank position where it rides higher than the loop?

I recently purchased a Poseidon Powerlift Photic NHV BC and love it. I would highly recommend this BC to anyone who can afford it, since it provides the best fit and comfort I have ever had with any BC I've used.

:clapping:

Mouth Breather:
You would really quit diving if you had to use a jacket BC? :confused:

It would take a lot more than that for me to quit.
used to quite a blast with the old horse collars bcs,have upgraded since and think its time for a zeagle ranger or similar now,just enjoy the diving

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom