Jacket Style BCD Recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

you will be assimilated.

- The Backplate Borg.

leadweight wrote...
That's a good one, but the Borg got blown to bits in the end.
What, you don't break down your gear for traveling?

:wink:

MikeFerrara once bubbled...
The tank can be raised. Most wear them way too low anyway. There are commercial tank and keel weights that can be used.

On the PADI DVD it shows that the Jacket BC and tank should be situated in such a way that the tank valve be even/flush with the top of the nape at the back of the neck of the BC. Many popular BCs come with a tank loop that when used stops the tank from riding higher. So in reality this is just a suggestion? ... are you saying instead the loop should be tucked out of the way and the tank positioned higher in the band?

metridium once bubbled...
Red herring #1. It's up to each individual diver to decide which one would be best for him/her. I've done nothing more than state my experiences with both jackets and BPs and my reasoning why I prefer one over the other.

Are you kidding me?

So let me get this straight...

...you're buying yet another BC to address the failings of your old one...
Sounds to me like you automatically assume that anyone who has a "regular" BC that later buys a BP is addressing a "failing" in their old BC. Thus by extension the BP (without said failing) is somehow superior. If I had a BP first, then later decided to get a Jacket BC for warm water, single tanks, etc. would you say that I was addressing the failings of my BP? I prefer to say that it's okay to have more than one BC to use for different types of diving.

...instead of getting a BP which you could have been using for both FUN diving and tech diving all this time?

I consider ALL diving "FUN diving". (regardless of my gear) I simply have different BC needs/wants when diving sans wetsuit and w/single tanks vs. 7mm suit w/doubles.

So you're paying roughly TWICE what I did for the exact same capability?

No, I'm paying TWICE what you did for MORE capability. A well padded, comfortable against bare skin, just enough pockets, single tank, back-inflate BC....AND.....a simple, no frills, high lift, double tank BP.

I've never said anything of the kind....just check the archives and prove me wrong. .

I think I just did...read the following again...
you're buying yet another BC to address the failings of your old one...instead of getting a BP which you could have been using for both FUN diving and tech diving all this time

You are telling ME what is better for ME. Just like you tell EVERYONE that doesn't have a BP what is better for THEM. Just because it works for YOU doesn't mean it works for ALL.

This shows that my hope you'd finally mastered the reading comprehension skills mentioned in my last post to you was in vain.

I asked someone to translate this sentence to me. Based on it's grammatical structure they aren't even sure it's in english.

Mouth Breather wrote...
Are you kidding me? Do you want to count how many times in this thread alone you stated that my back inflate BC was inferior to a BP?
Aside from pointing out that you're paying roughly twice as much as I did for the same capability, the count is exactly zero.

Mouth Breather wrote...
I asked someone to translate this sentence to me. Based on it's grammatical structure they aren't even sure it's in english.
No doubt it's the same person who proofread what you've written here....only four mistakes in two sentences. :rolleyes:

DiverBuoy once bubbled...
On the PADI DVD it shows that the Jacket BC and tank should be situated in such a way that the tank valve be even/flush with the top of the nape at the back of the neck of the BC. Many popular BCs come with a tank loop that when used stops the tank from riding higher. So in reality this is just a suggestion? ... are you saying instead the loop should be tucked out of the way and the tank positioned higher in the band?
Most folks are concerned about touching the back of their head with the first stage and as a result rig their tank far too low on the BC. If you can't reach the valve and turn it when in the water you're wearing the tank too low. Frankly, if I can't tilt my head back and touch the first stage I've rigged the tank too low for me. (Dry suits & doubles are another matter - we're talkin' warm water diving here) The loops I've seen will allow an 80 to ride high enough, but if you use an 8" diameter tank yes, the loop should often be tucked out of the way and the BC positioned so that the tank valve can be easily reached while wearing it. Some loops (like on the Transpac II) are adjustable and designed to be set as you like it.
Rick

Be careful Rick,

As you can see from the time stamps Metridium and I are "flaming" each other "real time". I wouldn't want you to get burned in the cross-fire. :D

Stand back!!!

I can see Metridiums fingers moving toward his keyboard...DON'T DO IT MAN!!! THERE ARE INNOCENT BYSTANDERS AROUND...THINK BEFORE YOU TYPE!!!

:D

Mouth Breather once bubbled...
Be careful Rick,

As you can see from the time stamps Metridium and I are "flaming" each other "real time". I wouldn't want you to get burned in the cross-fire. :D

Stand back!!!

I can see Metridiums fingers moving toward his keyboard...DON'T DO IT MAN!!! THERE ARE INNOCENT BYSTANDERS AROUND...THINK BEFORE YOU TYPE!!!

:D
Thanks for the warnin'... I've slipped into my asbestos undies...
Rick :)

leadweight wrote...
My real beef is that this thread started with someone asking about jackets and rather than answering the question; the BP crowd is trying to change the direction of things. IMO, that is off topic so far as this thread is concerned. Then I hear a bunch of weak BS about how the originator of the thread was only "thinking" about buying another jacket, so that makes it fair game.
Hardly BS. My original post was nothing more than a recommendation not to switch to a jacket from a back-inflate. That's fair game. I didn't mention BPs until I responded to your bait ridiculing the point of my original post.

leadweight wrote...
Finally, it is the attitude that the BP is the only way to go for all applications that is totally kaput.
Yet another red herring...is it Norwegian Day on the board? :wink:

See my next-to-last reply to Mouth Breather above for why your attitude assertion is wrong.

leadweight wrote...
You can stand on a busy dock in a warm water location and watch 150 divers board various dive boats and the only beckplate you will see is if you brought one yourself. What you will see is mostly jackets and a fairly good percentage of back inflate BC's mostly made by Zeagle. That is reality.
So? You're confusing market penetration with quality. Dive manufacturers have been selling jacket BCs in this country almost exclusively for the past 25-30 years. Back-inflation BCs were relatively new when I purchased my gear five years ago, and BPs were nonexistent in all the dozen plus LDSs I visited back then.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom