I’ve read it all and still need opinions on computers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes, seems the Shearwater is a solid brand and the Teric is the perfect size. Since I will be buying two (wife) the price is over 2k which I cannot justify due to the amount of diving I do. If only the teric sold for 500, it would be a done deal. The Atmos mission one is in the ballpark but I believe it’s a Taiwanese company made in China. Possibly the Deep 6 as well. Can’t do China
You may need to throw away a lot of your diving gear then. I understand the philosophy, but not the practicality.

You have stated a set of conflicting priorities: small, good screen, reliable/life-span, bluetooth, possible AI, cheap, and not made in China.
You may want to decide if all these are necessary or just nice.
You might want to look at used units...you can save a lot of money. Your BT requirement may hurt you there; the older units rarely (if at all) have BT, so it would be a recent but used unit...so the price drop will be less.

I am using cheap Cressi Newton (costs appr. USD 270). It has nitrox option, ability to transfer divelog through cable. AI integrated computers are usually more expensive. Before buying computer think what functions do you really need. Of course you can buy Shearwater Perdix AI and get the best available dive computer in the market, however, in my opinion it is overkill for ordinary recreation diver.

Bite me lol OK A few things. My eyes were getting worse and I did not have a prescription mask. Anyway I had seen other people with the Perdix and I go wow what a nice display, and I can see it so easily in low vis or night dives. My Suunto was PITA when trying to get the backlight on when on a night dive. So for me money was not an issue. I do warm water recreational diving with the odd planned Deco dives. Overkill, sure so is my friends F Type Jag for driving in London. :)

PS I got my eyes fixed with tri focal lenses and cataracts done as well. That's another story.

A SHEARWATER DIVE INFO.jpg

What do you people suppose is an expected lifespan of a new dive computer? Based on 20 to 30 dives a year. For me anyway, this is also a consideration. Reliability is a big factor.

Good point. I normally do 35 - 40 dives in a single two week dive vacation and do several vacations a year. So for me as my Sunnto died from the known pressure sensor failure and I wanted something I could see better I went with the Shearwater Perdix a few years ago. You can often find good deals on second hand computers a lot of people are selling good gear as they are not longer diving.

I end up running out of no deco time before I run out of gas, so this is no longer an issue for me. If I were running different gases (other than air or nitrox) perhaps it would be different? I don't know. But at this point, I no longer worry about my sac rate. It's more 'how much time do I have left at this depth?' and then 'how far do I need to ascend to regain some more time?'. But it sure would be fun to see what my SAC rate is ... :) There was a few months period when I had that info and knew what it meant ... :wink:

Well there is this Cressi Digital Console. Top right RANGE is time to 50 bar from whatever depth and point you are on the dive.

CRESSI  CONSOLE.jpg

You may need to throw away a lot of your diving gear then. I understand the philosophy, but not the practicality.

You have stated a set of conflicting priorities: small, good screen, reliable/life-span, bluetooth, possible AI, cheap, and not made in China.
You may want to decide if all these are necessary or just nice.
You might want to look at used units...you can save a lot of money. Your BT requirement may hurt you there; the older units rarely (if at all) have BT, so it would be a recent but used unit...so the price drop will be less.
Not sure what you mean by “conflicting priorities”? I never used the word “cheap” in my priority list, I did say money is an object as I will be buying two of them. I am looking for a reliable, Bluetooth, wristwatch sized, possible air integration, not made in China, 500$ or less budget. Do you find that impractical or conflicting? Serious question. I will admit, this is not very easy and I may be guilty of over analyzing this purchase. I do want to get it right, though. Again, thanks for any and all feedback.

Not sure what you mean by “conflicting priorities”? I never used the word “cheap” in my priority list, I did say money is an object as I will be buying two of them. I am looking for a reliable, Bluetooth, wristwatch sized, possible air integration, not made in China, 500$ or less budget. Do you find that impractical or conflicting? Serious question. I will admit, this is not very easy and I may be guilty of over analyzing this purchase. I do want to get it right, though. Again, thanks for any and all feedback.

You might be able to find used in that range with those features. Does the 500 include the transmitter for AI?

You might be able to find used in that range with those features. Does the 500 include the transmitter for AI?
No, I understand the transmitter is extra and is something I can buy now or down the line. The aqualung ticks a lot of the boxes as it’s 450$, made in California, Bluetooth, wristwatch sized, air integrated, sold at LDS but..... as others have stated, it may not be reliable. Maybe I need to start another thread regather reliability of the aqualung 200 and 470.

No, I understand the transmitter is extra and is something I can buy now or down the line. The aqualung ticks a lot of the boxes as it’s 450$, made in California, Bluetooth, wristwatch sized, air integrated, sold at LDS but..... as others have stated, it may not be reliable. Maybe I need to start another thread regather reliability of the aqualung 200 and 470.

I've never had a 450..... my local shop refuses to sell them though which to me says something.

What do you people suppose is an expected lifespan of a new dive computer? Based on 20 to 30 dives a year. For me anyway, this is also a consideration. Reliability is a big factor.
My Oceanic VT3 is 10 1/2 years old, 1533 dives, 1612 hours, I got a good one :)
upload_2021-1-11_11-37-51.png

One other difference between the Aqualung 470TC and the Oceanic OCi that @Lostdiver71 is referring to is the algorithm. They both do PZ+ but the Oceanics will also do DSAT, which is not quite as conservative. This may, or may not, matter to you.
All the Aqua Lung computers run the PZ+ deco algorithm. Oceanic computers run both PZ+ and DSAT. PZ+ is generally considered a moderate or middle of the road algorithm on the conservative to liberal scale. DSAT is generally considered to be liberal.

Though imperfect, PZ+ is approximately like running Buhlmann at a GF high of around 85. DSAT is more like running Buhlmann at a GF high of around 95. If one wants maximum flexibility, a computer running Buhlmann with custom GFs allows the most adjustment.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom