It's time....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We should pick a different weekend if we're moving it to Portage. They're having the 'summer blues fest' September 18th.

The pickup truck & boat trailer out in the middle has lines run to it. There's a newer line that's suspended at about 25' that goes from there to the bottom of the silo, that isn't on the map. I don't think too many other things have lines on them, but most of the stuff is around the edge and you don't need lines to find them anyway. And there's been a few things sunk on the West end recently that aren't on the map, either.

Both Portage and Whitestar have picnic shelters near the water that we can rent, if we want to. They're $35 at Whitestar. I don't know the cost at Portage.

One more thing that Portage has going for it over Whitestar is the fish. Fishing is permitted at Whitestar, and it's pretty much fished out. They have lots of small bluegill & crawdads. Large fish are few and far between. Portage is full of big fish, especially on top of the silo and a few other choice spots.

-Ray

Tiny Bubbles:
We should pick a different weekend if we're moving it to Portage. They're having the 'summer blues fest' September 18th.

I'm for that - then I'll be able to join the other side of the GLWC for Lake Michigan dives outta Milwaukee that weekend! :eyebrow:

Unfortunately, my scheduling is tight for early for early September.

I will be in Brockville over Labor Day weekend and Lake Champlain over the following week/weekend. (That whole week is what I decided to do instead of my orginally scheduled Cayman trip over Thanksgiving so it is non-negiotable. Oh and cheaper and my peaceful, too!)

So that leaves the first two weekends of September out for me. After that I am free.

I don't want to pull it forward a week, either. I also have plans the week before.

So far we've got:

* Gilboa 9/17-9/19, despite my objections to the high cost, especially to non-divers.

* Whitestar 9/17-9/19, despite Brian's objections that they only sell regular compressed air and camping is across the street.

* Portage 9/24-9/26. Has to be done a week later than originally planned because of the blues fest.

* Lexington/Sanilac - It would probably be more like a serious dive trip and less like the last meet & greet.

* Other ideas??? Any place we can camp that has shore diving and air fills near by???

Portage sounds like the best overall compromise to me.

Although... anyone camping and staying all three days might really appreciate the hot showers and real flush toliets that Gilboa has to offer.

ScubaFishee:
Portage sounds like the best overall compromise to me.

Although... anyone camping and staying all three days might really appreciate the hot showers and real flush toliets that Gilboa has to offer.

Gtxl1200 always has flush toilets and hot showers where ever he decides to camp ahhhhhhh the life, and microwave and refrigerator and satallite tv.

gtxl1200:
Gtxl1200 always has flush toilets and hot showers where ever he decides to camp ahhhhhhh the life, and microwave and refrigerator and satallite tv.
...and retractable awning...

Ted, Maxine, looking at both your avatars... Are those the same picture, just one zoomed in more than the other???

Both are football weekends so I won't arrive until Sat. evening.

If the group wants to keep the weekend of 9/18 and 19, I'd vote for Whitestar. However, I'd suggest moving the potluck closer to dinner time given the distance between the campground and the quarry. & the outhouses are cleaner than at Portage!

On the 26th - Already have a group outing planned to Portage with my local club so we may have a few extras.

& Ted - how does one go about getting one of those hot showers? :wink:

Paula

Tiny Bubbles:
Ted, Maxine, looking at both your avatars... Are those the same picture, just one zoomed in more than the other???

Nope, it's not the same picture, although we do both have the same photographer.

If it isn't too much of a hassle to the others to reschedule, I would rather do the Portage weekend later.

Whitestar just didn't impress me the last time that I was there (except in the visibility department) and I would like to try something different. To me Whitestar had great campgrounds, but I don't care for needing to drive my gear across the street to go diving vs. setting it up and having it ready to go right by the water. In other words, one location I have to drive across the street and fight for parking, and the other I leave my car at the site all weekend. :) I would also be bringing a lot of tanks up because of the fill issue, but I could deal with that, so that is not a major problem.

Gilboa would be my personal preference because at this point it would be cheapest of all for me, but I do appreciate the high price issue for families and won't pursue that. I want to see families there. I also have to admit that it would be nice to play "shark" with some non-divers (which Whitestar wouldn't allow either as the swimming and diving areas are quite separate). I am sure that I will be rightly sick of that quarry by the end of December anyways as it will be my only availability for deep diving practice once the charters close (hence the real reason for the season pass). :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom