It's That Time Of Year Again. Idiot Boaters Don't Know What A Dive Flag Is

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

yeah, laws. Only work when they can be enforced AND boaters know what a dive flag is. No boating courses required for anybody born before 1988.
So, back to page 1. We need to educate the public about dive flags..
Let's post some signs at boat ramps. I'll print a bunch up and share them at the Fall Megadive if you're interested.

another SB member and I are talking about doing just that. But then we both got busy.. would love to have you print some stuff up. As in something we can install at boat ramps.

I'd recommend buying a real deal street sign, and the exact same type of post that the street signs in your area are bolted to.

Our local ramp has a sign posted with a notice of all the gear that boaters and jetskiers need, along with the jacket requirement. And people do actually read it. Putting up a sign that says "this means divers below, stay 125' away" right next to that, would be effective.

And then you have a professional looking sign that appears to belong there, and might have been placed there by the state. Might not be much more $$$ than flyers or plastic cards.

Heard on US1 radio news today that a lady snorkeling from an Ocean Divers Direct boat got whacked in the head by a private boat. The question is was she within 300 feet of the dive flag.

Heard on US1 radio news today that a lady snorkeling from an Ocean Divers Direct boat got whacked in the head by a private boat. The question is was she within 300 feet of the dive flag.

Sad to hear, as a hitee, I'm quite sensitive to this issue

Snorkeling? Or just snorkeling after a dive? I've never seen any kind of dive flag when snorkeling. And it is easy to wander away and get run over.

Snorkeling? Or just snorkeling after a dive? I've never seen any kind of dive flag when snorkeling. And it is easy to wander away and get run over.
Yo0u know exactly as much as I do.

Yes, the captain and first mate are friends of mine and the boater was a MORON and was NOT CHARGED. The good news is that the diver was released from the hospital the other day, and she survived. The BAD news is that the moron was let go. I cannot tell you just how pissed I am about this.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom