A flag that is less of a drag?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tony didn’t like the flag that came with the float.

What is the property to watch out for that made the flag coming with the float unlikeable for Tony ... or that makes another flag more likeable?

I thought the flag was ok that came with the float. It even had a little anti-rollover ball on the top. Tony said that he had trouble seeing it and that his flags were better.
Once I found one of his lost flags on the bottom, that was the end of that.

The ball on top is anti-impale......

Other than that, it the Tony flag bigger or taller?

Florida beaches and I have to drag a flag, and boy does it suck! (Full disclosure: today I did find a weight pocket with 4lbs of lead and tied it off to my flag so that made it suck worse, but hey free lead!) I have a standard dive flag with the big styrofoam ball and the lead weight underneath on a pole, and a big weird yellow line wrap thing I sometimes put my arm through but then that likes to get hooked up on my mask. I feel like it might be in entanglement hazard and since I’m breath hold diving that is significant.

I don’t like dragging the thing and I was wondering if the inflatable flags are easier to tow or if anybody has any tips about making this process more enjoyable? I was thinking for example of sand anchoring it in the general area I am snorkeling . First two times I went out I didn’t have it and I had so much more fun!

But it became apparent that there was indeed boat traffic so I need it. Also I figured out to clip a water bottle to it, and that’s really key when you’re out freediving for hours, and I’m sure that added a little drag too. And since I keep finding trash, I may have to put a goodie bag on there too. Sometimes I miss my old abalone float. By the way does anyone know what the fine is for going without? What are your thoughts on floats and flags?

Wow, so many thoughts about floats!

What do you call an abalone float? When you said "trash" I immediately thought of an inner tube with a mesh bag in the middle. I didn't read all the posts so I'm probably a bit late on suggestions, but just in case I'd also go with a thicker line that is the length of the maximum depth you expect to dive. I believe a thicker line will tangle less.

Yeah you got it, that’s an Ab float, with straps on the underside for backpacking down rocky cliffs and a zipper to keep gear and abs in.

I was wondering that about thin line, kinda why I’m still using the standard big winding card with polypro floating yellow line. Especially solo entanglement is daunting.

Or maybe I just need to stop picking up trash...

The ball on top is anti-impale......

Other than that, it the Tony flag bigger or taller?
The Tony flag is the same size...just more plasticky. I liked the ball, but with the Amazon thumb wheel and nylon line, the flag is flat against the buoy until it’s needed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom