It's That Time Of Year Again. Idiot Boaters Don't Know What A Dive Flag Is

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes they can. Jet skis included. I have seen people with large yachts 60-70 ft that can't run them. Hang out at a marina or your local launch ramp. Walmart people have boats too!
Actually, some walmarts sell small boats.

Another disappointment. F.S. 327.331(6) only says:
A vessel other than a law enforcement or rescue vessel that approaches within 100 feet of a divers-down flag or buoy on a river, inlet, or navigation channel, or within 300 feet of a divers-down flag or buoy on waters other than a river, inlet, or navigation channel, must proceed no faster than is necessary to maintain headway and steerageway.

I dunno, "no faster than is necessary to maintain headway and steerageway" seems super arbitrary to me. Is it defined somewhere else in the law? I didn't see it. The law doesn't appear to say boats must give a 100 or 300 foot berth at all, really.

Kind of watered down both on the wording of the law and the penalty for violating it. Really, it's no wonder so many boaters run over flags.

Last edited:
Since Rick and Kelemor have joined I will repost

FYI --- One person involvement ............

1957 -Consultation (way before PADI )

Death by spear gun in Newport Beach, California
Defense -
Spear gun a toy for underwater fishing
Judgement :
Spear gun and components considered lethal weapons

Convicted -- life in prison

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

FYI
Some dive flag history..

The creation of a flag to identify recreational diving activity was via two sentences by the late Ted Nixon in the 1957 Skin Diver Magazine editorial .(Way before PADI)
It's purpose, size, shape, and color was discussed for the next three years by divers from all over the world

The red and white flag was adapted by the diving community in 1960 as the unofficial flag of recreational diving activity
* size: 5 units wide X 4 units high X I unit diagonal stripe
* color: Body- international or blaze orange - later changed to bright red
Stripe- Always White

'Appeared on cover of SDM for one year - 1960 -1961 (Way before PADI)
( It has always been on cover of California Diving News (CDN)

1960s (1960s to 1965 ?) Way before PADI
GLACD (Greater Los Angles County of divers) placed Dive flag posters at all marinas, attended recreational & Sportsman Shows
Florida State Diving Association (FSDA) under Pappy Flood did not participate

First accident in the US involving a boat and diver displaying a divers flag
* September 22, 1961 (Way before PADI)
* Long Point, Catalina Island, California
* Toso (injured diver) vs Burns (Boat Owner / Operator )
* Established rights of a diver displaying the red & while dive flag

( I was the only professional witness for the injured diver and at the trial

I had numerous consultations after the trial

*I was the "First Guest editor Skin Diver Magazine-" 1968 (?) "Sign Post to Safety"
(encouraged divers every where to display and to popularize the divers flag)
* Authored description for USCG auxiliary
* Included in Chapmans
(There is little resemblance to my description and what was published - and is possibly still us after almost 60 years )

Dive Training Magazine (Collen Bondy) Two articles on Dive flag -1990s
* Ted Nixon had been deceased for several years
* Florida dive operator claims credit for dive flag
(Absolutely NO documents substanuation the claim)

Who's who in SCUBA Diving Book 1993 (so far as can be verified I am the only SB member listed )
Once again
* Florida dive operator claims credit for dive flag
(Once again absolutely NO documents substanuation the claim)

Consulted on disputed ownership of red & white dive flag

1988 New England,,,Ownership of the Red & white flag disputed...
* 18 months of research and consolation
* Absolutely NO documents to substanuation of the claim of the Florida dive operator as the Father of the flag
* Judgement -Red and white dive flag was in public domain

Numerous consultations
Program - 2014- History of the red & white dive flag
* SLO UW S&R DivCon
* The SCUBA show ( Pete Murray was in attendance at the program)

I met with local officials We now have permanent dive flag posting at all local beaches

DEMA develops 2015 dive flag awareness program
* three different sizes of white stripes on flags displayed in program
* two different sizes of flags ?????
(makes one question DEMA;'s historical knowledge of the dive flag)
( I have only seen the DEMA clips on this board)

2016 Florida ????? Time will tell...

Thanks for the history, sam!

In Florida, they're somewhat specific about what a diver must display. Interestingly, the blue "international" flag does not meet the requirement in F.S. 327.331
“Divers-down symbol” means a rectangular or square red symbol with a white diagonal stripe. If rectangular, the length must not be less than the height or more than 25 percent longer than the height. The width of the stripe must be 25 percent of the height of the symbol.
Code:
a) “Diver” means a person who is wholly or partially submerged in the waters of the state and is equipped with a face mask and snorkel or underwater breathing apparatus.
(b) “Divers-down buoy” means a buoyant device, other than a vessel, which displays a divers-down symbol of at least 12 inches by 12 inches on three or four flat sides, which is prominently visible on the water’s surface when in use.
(c) “Divers-down flag” means a flag that meets the following specifications:
1. The flag must be square or rectangular. If rectangular, the length must not be less than the height, or more than 25 percent longer than the height. The flag must have a wire or other stiffener to hold it fully unfurled and extended in the absence of a wind or breeze.
2. The flag must consist of a divers-down symbol on each side with a white diagonal stripe that begins at the top staff-side of the flag and extends diagonally to the lower opposite corner.
3. The minimum size for any divers-down flag displayed on a buoy or float towed by the diver is 12 inches by 12 inches. The minimum size for any divers-down flag displayed from a vessel or structure is 20 inches by 24 inches.
4. Any divers-down flag displayed from a vessel must be displayed from the highest point of the vessel or such other location which provides that the visibility of the divers-down flag is not obstructed in any direction.
(d) “Divers-down symbol” means a rectangular or square red symbol with a white diagonal stripe. If rectangular, the length must not be less than the height or more than 25 percent longer than the height. The width of the stripe must be 25 percent of the height of the symbol.

I was thinking this would be a slightly improved (since it's specific to Fl) sign to post.

diveflagawareness.png

great photos...

it's just $50. Pocket change for most boat owners.
It seems that boat owners on your side of the pond have more disposable income than some of those on my side of the pond. I'm a boat owner, and even if 50$ isn't going to break my budget, it isn't quite pocket change to me.

Maybe that's why I dive locally instead of traveling abroad to dive...

I'm reasonably certain "maintain headway and steerageway" means the slowest speed at which a given vessel can control its direction of motion (steerageway) while maintaining motion in a forward direction (headway). It's different for different vessels depending on lots of stuff: sail or power; engine(s); rudder(s); draft; wind and current; hull type/size/displacement; no doubt several other dependent variables a marine engineer or experienced Captain can provide. The actual speed for most vessels is pretty darn slow.

Yah, but most of that is click bait. Not true at all.
Maybe some are. But still we know that it was most likely some Florida man or woman who released the dreadful Lionfish into the sea.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom