Is This a Good Buy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If those connectors are not swivels then the only way I can see that they could be tightened is if there is another threaded fitting inside that could be accessed by removing the fitting from what it's connected to. It cannot be tightened from the outside, from what I can tell.

If those connectors are not swivels then the only way I can see that they could be tightened is if there is another threaded fitting inside that could be accessed by removing the fitting from what it's connected to. It cannot be tightened from the outside, from what I can tell.

Take it apart and post pictures. Looking at the picture again it appears someone who didn't know or care did not use the correct fitting between the hose and fill yoke. It looks like the hose is screwed on to a pipe nipple instead of the correct pipe to AN flare adapter. This is what it should look like. You would need the male to male adapter, my whip setup uses a male to female adapter. You can get them at most NAPA auto parts stores in their hydraulic fittings. It is the same adapter as where your hose connects to the filter, notice the difference between the filter connection and the yoke valve connection.

Attachments

• DSC04789 (Small).jpg
    DSC04789 (Small).jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 148
  • DSC04787 (Small).jpg
    DSC04787 (Small).jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 122
  • DSC04788 (Small).jpg
    DSC04788 (Small).jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 125
Last edited:
Thanks captain :) I found yet another small leak at another fitting identical to my yoke fitting. I'll bet those tiny leaks add up to an extra 10 minutes of fill time!

Re-packing the Purifier Cartridge (Bauer #04852-410):
Order of filling:
a) Polyester filter, 5-micron, 1 1/8" diameter X .080", McMaster-Carr #6376T11
b) Polyester filter, 25-micron, 1 1/8" diameter X .080", McMaster-Carr #6376T14
c) Insert toe of nylon stocking into cartridge to hold the remainder of the material.
Into the open top of the nylon add:
d) Activated charcoal, about 1/2 whiskey shot (5/8 - 3/4 fl. oz. measure)
e) Polyester filter, 25-micron, 1 1/8" diameter X .080", McMaster-Carr #6376T14
f) Fill remainder of space (about 1 shot, or 1 1/4 fl. oz.) with Vaporshell 13X micro sieve
g) cut top of nylon one inch above end of cartridge and fold over to seal contents
g) Perforated cover disc
h) retainer clip

The filter discs are cut from filter sheet as per the McMaster-Carr stock numbers (12"x12" sheets).

The nylon stocking is reusable. Just be sure not to stretch it while inserting or filling it or it may be too short next time you fill it. I use the handle of a scredriver of the appropriate diameter to push the toe of the nylon into the cartridge and to seat the filter discs. Oh, and please don't use a used nylon for breathing air. Yuck!:no:

On the nylon stocking, is there specific brand or type or size that I should get? I seem to recall some had reinforced toes so would that be desirable or not?

After I got divorced I went to buy some shampoo. There were about 400 different kinds! I finally found one that said "normal." My fear is that I will be lost and overwhelmed looking for a nylon stocking.

On the nylon stocking, is there specific brand or type or size that I should get? I seem to recall some had reinforced toes so would that be desirable or not?

:confused:How the heck should I know?!!! O.K., I only bought a pair once, for the filter. Wouldn't want to have to go through that again. Yes, I wouldn't get the reinforced toesies if you have a choice, just regular, calf-high nylons. If you don't have a choice, the compressor is so low volume in output that it probably really doesn't matter all that much. All the nylon does anyway is help to keep pieces of charcoal from slipping past the felt spacers while repacking, and getting into the back pressure valve or filler hose.

Even the slightest leak can make a HUGE difference in pumping up time for a high-pressure/low-volume compressor like your Cornelius.

After I got divorced I went to buy some shampoo. There were about 400 different kinds! I finally found one that said "normal." My fear is that I will be lost and overwhelmed looking for a nylon stocking.

Haha! You guys and your nylons!

IMG_5105.JPG
I use a Coltri Sub Personal filter with a 3 stage cartridge in mine and I ordered a vibration sensing hour meter on eBay so I can keep track of Oil and filter cartridge changes.

View attachment 395387 I use a Coltri Sub Personal filter with a 3 stage cartridge in mine and I ordered a vibration sensing hour meter on eBay so I can keep track of Oil and filter cartridge changes.

Wow, your Cornelius looks brand new!

I'll check out the Coltri Sub but I still have a lot of the ingredients for repacking the one I have. I'll also look into the hour meter. That would be a lot simpler than what I've been doing.

IMG_5146.JPG
IMG_5149.JPG

As I will be using this compressor on my sailboat I decided to make a case for it and the filter.
I bought an inexpensive briefcase size equipment case from Harbor freight and disassembled it for the parts then cut the panels from a piece of white 8th inch masonite and assembled it with pop rivets.
I'm still waiting for my hourmeter to come from China.

Meanwhile, I'm still trying to buy some oil. I contacted Nuvair and they said the Nuvair 751 is the same as Coltri 751. I'm still not sure if they are the same as Chemlube 751. Should I buy the Nuvair? The main motivation here is the shipping is a lot less than for the Coltri. My compressor came with Chemlube but the number is illegible.

The guy at Nuvair thinks that using a Cornelius for filling scuba tanks is a bad idea due to "inadequate cooling." Anyone care to comment on that?

Back
Top Bottom